[comp.sys.apple] Z8000

tmetro@LYNX.NORTHEASTERN.EDU (09/19/88)

Thomas C. Murphy <pnet01!crash!BRL.MIL!TMURPHY%wpi.bitnet> writes:
> Last I heard, the Z80 and Z8000 have little in common except 3 characters.
> The Z8000 is a 16-bit chip, isn't it?

Information on the Z8000 series of IC's can be found in the Zilog
(408 370-8000) "Z8 Family Design Handbook." The Z8 family consists of
several 8-bit Microcomputers (MCU's) some even including BASIC interpreters.
Seeing as the Z80 is a CPU and the Z8 series are MCUs (containing extra
functions such as RAM/ROM/EPROM/UART/etc.) it is unlikely that you will find
one that is pin compatable.
  ___________
./ Tom Metro \_____________________________________________________________.
|                                                   _   _                  |
| INET: tmetro@pro-angmar.uucp              --/\/\_| |_| '- DigiTell, Inc. |
| ARPA: crash!pnet01!pro-angmar!tmetro@nosc.mil             Newton, MA     |
| UUCP: [ihnp4 sdcsvax nosc]!crash!pnet01!pro%angmar!tmetro                |
|_Alternate: tmetro@lynx.northeastern.edu__________________________________|

TMURPHY@wpi.BITNET (09/20/88)

The Z8000 is available from Active Electronics, Westboro, MA.  It is described
as a "16-bit segmented CPU", i.e. a 16 bit processor, NOT Z80 compatible.
Someone had mentioned the Z8, which is a microcontroller with on-board
BASIC.  This is from the Z8600 family, not related to either the Z80
or Z8000.

Thomas C. Murphy         Worcester Polytechnic Institute CAD Lab
                              Mechanical Engineering Dept.
BITNET:   TMURPHY@WPI
Arpanet:  tmurphy%wpi.bitnet@talcott.harvard.edu