[comp.sys.apple] //c+ SCC?

ralphw@ius3.ius.cs.cmu.edu (Ralph Hyre) (09/19/88)

In article <1010@meccsd.MECC.MN.ORG> prw@meccsd.UUCP (Paul R. Wenker) writes:
>In article <8809162250.aa13178@SMOKE.BRL.MIL> STEIN@UCONNVM.BITNET (Alan Stein) writes:
>>     Serial ports are built around the 6551 SCC (as in the Mac and IIgs)
>
>Unfortunately, the IIc Plus serial ports still use the same old ACIA chip.
Is this a correction or a reiteration of the above point?
'(as in the Mac and IIgs)' implies that they used in 8530 SCC, and you
usually don't hear 6551 and SCC in the same sentence.  There's probably
still no AppleTalk support for the IIc, since the existence of such
seems to require another processor on the II series.

Should I buy a IIc+?  Wait for the Laptop Mac?  both?

>Should I buy a IIc+?  Wait for the Laptop Mac?  both?

1. The Laser 128EX/2 appears to have superior features to the //c+
  (you don't suppose Apple will get smart and offer future editions of
   the //c+ with the 1.4 Mbyte SuperDrive which also reads and writes the
   1.44 Mbyte MS-DOS format?  Naaahh, a smart move like that would break
   Apple's streak  -- remember this is the company that packed a processor
   with a 16 Mbyte address space into a closed machine with a maximum
   memory of 512K).

2. Given Apple's top managment's attitude toward it's II customer base,
   I'd think you'd give Amiga more than a passing thought.

3. IBM's PS/2 386-laptop (portable model 70 - a luggable perhaps, but
   the lapMac will NOT be a lightweight) will arrive sooner and if
   rumors prove out will be by far the more capable machine (even more
   so in power per dollar terms if compared on a "street price" basis).

Murph Sewall     Sewall@UCONNVM.BITNET
Business School  sewall%uconnvm.bitnet@mitvma.mit.edu          [INTERNET]
U of Connecticut {rutgers psuvax1 ucbvax & in Europe - mcvax}
                 !UCONNVM.BITNET!SEWALL                        [UUCP]

-+- My employer isn't responsible for my mistakes AND vice-versa!

"We have met the enemy and they are us!" Pogo (Walt Kelly)

S3LMGAD@SAE.TOWSON.EDU (Apple Lab Mgr) (09/20/88)

Buy a Mac, because sooner or later you'd have to upgrade the IIc+, might as
well buy the MAC now.

Garry A. Dinkin