[comp.sys.apple] Applefest & //c+

jm7e+@ANDREW.CMU.EDU ("Jeremy G. Mereness") (09/18/88)

I do not want to rain on anybody's parade; damn but I don't like to complain
all the time.

But the Apple//c+ is a joke.

It is too little, too late. As I understand it, Sculley announced that the gs+
will not be unveiled until twelve to eighteen months from now. That's Spring,
1991. By that time, even the fabled 65c832 will not be able to compete with the
comtemporary, 25Mhz or more machines. The gs+ in 1991 will be as behind the
times as the gs is now.

Why does Apple insist on keeping the // in the dark ages? Prototype models of
gs+'s exist that exceed all our expectations, but Apple decides to make a
futile move to help an already doomed model. The c should have been dropped
when the price of one fell below that of a driveless //e.

Besides, the //c is no more than a Laser 128EX with a 3.5 drive. And NO
EXPANSION SLOT!

C'mon Apple! There is no excuse for this kind of ignorance!

Capt. Albatross
jm7e+@andrew.cmu.edu

============
Apparently hoping in vain  for a  GS+... (*sigh*)
disclaimer: These opinions are mine and will remain so until more intelligent
or insightful or informed people are kind enough to show me the error of my
ways because in the barbecue of life, a mind is a terrible thing to baste.

carlb@pro-avalon.cts.COM (Carl Boernecke) (09/19/88)

jm7e+@andrew.cmu.edu (Jeremy G. Mereness) writes:
|It [the Apple IIc+] is too little, too late. [...]

I have to disagree, some people think it is what will keep the II-line alive
until the GS+ arrives.

|By that time, even the fabled 65c832 will not be able to compete with the
|comtemporary, 25 MHz or more machines. [...]

I seriously doubt that -- if the 65C832 is anything like the rumors that have
been flying around, then it will be an EXCELLENT chip, and a good contender in
the 90's.  True, not as good as the other computer's CPU's, but it will be a
contender.

|Besides, the //c is no more than a Laser 128EX with a 3.5 drive. And NO
|EXPANSION SLOT!

As I understand it, that's all it was supposed to be, nothing more, nothing
less.

|Capt. Albratross
|jm7e+@andrew.cmu.edu

       |--------------------------( Carl Boernecke )-------------------------|
Send   | UUCP: crash!pro-avalon!carlb     InterNet: carlb@pro-avalon.cts.com |
E-Mail | ARPA: crash!pro-avalon!carlb@nosc.mil     ProLine: carlb@pro-avalon |
to --> |   ProLine [pro-avalon] - (619) 271-0131 - 300-2400 bps - 24 hours   |

>|By that time, even the fabled 65c832 will not be able to compete with the
>|comtemporary, 25 MHz or more machines. [...]
>
>I seriously doubt that -- if the 65C832 is anything like the rumors that have
>been flying around, then it will be an EXCELLENT chip, and a good contender in
>the 90's.  True, not as good as the other computer's CPU's, but it will be a
>contender.

Since the 65xx2 family is "pipelined" and the 80xx6 chips are not,
comparing performance on the basis of MHz is VERY misleading (more so than
usual).  If the 65C832 runs at 20MHz or so, it should run rings around
a 25MHz 80386.

Murph Sewall     Sewall@UCONNVM.BITNET
Business School  sewall%uconnvm.bitnet@mitvma.mit.edu          [INTERNET]
U of Connecticut {rutgers psuvax1 ucbvax & in Europe - mcvax}
                 !UCONNVM.BITNET!SEWALL                        [UUCP]

-+- My employer isn't responsible for my mistakes AND vice-versa!

"We have met the enemy and they are us!" Pogo (Walt Kelly)

kamath@reed.UUCP (Sean Kamath) (09/21/88)

In article <UXAw-9y00V4CM2DVJ2@andrew.cmu.edu> jm7e+@ANDREW.CMU.EDU ("Jeremy G. Mereness") writes:
>But the Apple//c+ is a joke.
>
>Capt. Albatross
>jm7e+@andrew.cmu.edu

So is the Coco.  So is the Mac 128. Was. So is the Altair.  And yet,
strangly, I find myself using Robin's //c *all the time*.  And I don't laugh.
What did you expect?  The sparcintosh?

Look, folks. I don't want to get to mean, but. . .

Apple //'s are jokes.

And yet they *aren't*.

If you are a lawyer, with a gob o clients who you have to keep track of
bills, appointments, court dates, rulings, filings. . . Etc.  You don't use
an apple // with Appleworks.  You *can*, but. . . So my mother has an IBM,
and I get a phone call every other week with her asking how to use it.  But
the thing is, she can't find the software she wants on anything else.

If you are trying to do "scientific computer studies", you don't use and
apple //.  You get a sun, vax, ibm, etc. (Though I lean heavily towards the
sun.).

So, now I have all of you mad.  Good.

So why should Robin be forced to buy a $2000 piece of junk that could do a
*bit* more than her //c, but that she wouldn't use in any more effective
manner?

I mean, Jeeez, if you think Mah Jongg looks nice on a GS, or a Mac ][ even,
you should see it under suntools. Sunview. whatever they call it these days.
But are you gonna buy a $4000 box to play mahjongg?  No.

So Robin cranks up Appleworks every now and then, writes paper or two,
graphs a function occasionally, and I take her //c to Reed to download gobs
of sh*t I get from the server at 9600 to a 3.5 inch disk.

How, pray tell, would a gsdoubleplussuperdooperwhizbangfunkygood make *that*
any easier? Chugging along with my $500 RGB monitor.

My point is, yes, if you wanted more power and memory, it was a big letdown.
But it runs at 4 MHz!  Everyone bitched about the zipchip not being here
forwever, now apple comes out with a nice little //c that would make my life
a little easier, and you complain!  I'm *SORRY*.

Yes, //s are *FUN*, *EDUCATIONAL*, and definately can be used for business
with a decided advantage, and even serious programming.  I get mad that
apple doesn't come out with a sun-like unix box for $1000, but there's just
nothing they are gonna do about it.  Such is life.  I will continue to get
the most out of what I *have*.  Not what I wish for.

So much for my vacuous verbosity.
I don't mean to jump down your throat, but don't you think Apple ought to
get a least a little cheer for making a better machine a all?  Or should we
whips out our trusty WP and fire off a note saying: Jeez, you guys, you
can't do *anything* right. . .

Sean Kamath
--
UUCP:  {decvax allegra ucbcad ucbvax hplabs ihnp4}!tektronix!reed!kamath
CSNET: reed!kamath@Tektronix.CSNET  ||  BITNET: kamath@reed.BITNET