[comp.sys.apple] Claris and the 'Styleware move'

forde@eglin-vax.arpa ("MAJ ERIC S. FORD") (09/21/88)

Rick Ewing writes (in a particularly vehement posting):

>Claris took a lot of heat on the Apple II neglect issue, and I can tell
>you from the people that I know at Claris that the Styleware move
>was partially intended to rectify that problem.  So give these guys a
>break while they come up to speed.

It is interesting to note just how supportive the 'Styleware move' will
allow Claris to become.  GS Works has been advertised at its wholesale
price of $139.00 by Programs Plus since it was first announced.  Today,
Programs Plus tells me that the wholesale price from Claris will be
$249.00.  THIS IS WHOLESALE!  I realize the 'Styleware move' involved
costs which must be recouped to maintain profit levels but this is hardly
user support!  I might be lacking in business accumen but this looks like
someone simply bought out a competitor and then raised the price of its
leading merchandise in order to eliminate competition with a prior product
(Appleworks).  Mr. Ewing may consider this another "Rumor" so I'll invite
him to Claris-fy it for me!

Eric S. Ford
Pssst, I'm not just repeating gossip, somebody really told me this.