[comp.sys.apple] Laser 128/Apple editor info wanted

midkiff@UICSRD.CSRD.UIUC.EDU (Sam Midkiff) (09/21/88)

I am considering the purchase of a Laser 128, or Laser 128 EX, to do
editing on.  Supposedly the 128's are compatible with the ][c and ][e.
I will primarily be using the machine to edit ascii files that have been
downloaded from a Unix machine.  I don't need full "work processing"
ability (i.e. the ability to format), but rather need a good editor.
I currently use vi, and would be happy with something similar in capabilities.
Maximum file size would be under 64K.

My questions are:  Are there inexpensive pieces of software, or better
yet shareware or pd editors available.  There seem to be tons of word
processors around, but this seems like overkill.  I would be happy to
use one of them, however, if there's not too much of a speed penalty,
and I can get a plain ascii file out without control information.
Second, is there anything to watch out for with the Lasers that isn't
obvious from reading their ads?  And finally, how fast can I expect to
download files using one of these?  1200 baud or less?

Thanks for any help.  Please e-mail your responses to me, and I will
summarize if there seems to be sufficient interest.

Sam Midkiff

UUCP:	 {seismo,pur-ee,convex}!uiucdcs!uicsrd!midkiff
ARPANET: midkiff%uicsrd@a.cs.uiuc.edu
CSNET:	 midkiff%uicsrd@uiuc.csnet
BITNET:	 midkiff@uicsrd.csrd.uiuc.edu

MATON%SASK.USask.CA@CORNELLC.CCS.CORNELL.EDU (TERRY MATON - PHYSICAL PLANT) (09/22/88)

From:   IN%"Info-Apple@BRL.MIL" 22-SEP-1988 00:23
To:     'Terry Maton' <MATON@SASK.USask.CA>
Subj:   Laser 128/Apple editor info wanted

Date: Tue, 20 Sep 88 21:57:43 CDT
From: Sam Midkiff
 <midkiff%uicsrd.csrd.uiuc.edu%uxc.cso.uiuc.edu@UXC.CSO.UIUC.EDU>
Subject: Laser 128/Apple editor info wanted
Sender: INFO-APP Info-Apple List <INFO-APP@NDSUVM1.BITNET>
To: 'Terry Maton' <MATON@SASK.USask.CA>
Comments: To: info-apple@BRL.MIL

>>>I am considering the purchase of a Laser 128, or Laser 128 EX, to do
>>>editing on.  Supposedly the 128's are compatible with the ][c and ][e.

>>>Second, is there anything to watch out for with the Lasers that isn't
>>>obvious from reading their ads?

I cannot help with other parts of your message, but as an owner of a Laser
128 for over two years I can say that I have had no trouble with compatibility.

I use my Laser with an expansion box complete with battery backed Ramfactor
card with 1 Meg additional memory. Using this as a ramdisk which boots as
soon as I switch on I have a very fast machine for word processing or any
other program.  The slowest part of any file transfer as far as I can see
would be your 1200 baud modem!

Terry Maton
MATON@SASK (Bitnet)