[comp.sys.apple] Applefest & GS/OS

NETOPRMS@NCSUVM.BITNET (Michael Steele) (09/20/88)

    Ok let's quit complaining about the fact that Apple screwed up again and
  came out with the IIc+ and discuss the aspects of GS OS.  I've only read a
  couple of articles about it and want to know more.  Are they distributing
  GS OS at Applefest or is it just "announced"?   If someone has had the time
  to play with it...does it support Mac disk format, what types of new tool
  sets are created (ie a toolset to easily handle sounds,etc), is it even
  slightly multitasking like Multifinder?

  I want nitty gritty details!  Reply here or via Email.

  Yes Apple messed up *AGAIN* by delaying the GS+ until 1990.  By that time
  there will be the Amiga 3000, ST+, Mac III, etc.
NETOPRMS@NCSUVM.BITNET  Michael Steele  co-sysop of NCSU Apple Users BBS
10 meg Apple downloads(latest PD software), Tech/Pascal/PCP discussion
919-783-9010 (PC Pursuitable NCRTP)  Call today!  919-783-9010

keith@Apple.COM (Keith Rollin) (09/21/88)

In article <471NETOPRMS@NCSUVM> NETOPRMS@NCSUVM.BITNET (Michael Steele) writes:

>    Ok let's quit complaining about the fact that Apple screwed up again and
>  came out with the IIc+ and discuss the aspects of GS OS.  I've only read a
>  couple of articles about it and want to know more.  Are they distributing
>  GS OS at Applefest or is it just "announced"?   If someone has had the time
>  to play with it...does it support Mac disk format, what types of new tool
>  sets are created (ie a toolset to easily handle sounds,etc), is it even
>  slightly multitasking like Multifinder?

GS/OS is out and shipping from APDA. Dealers should be getting it soon. The
price is $39 even.

As for Mac disk support, it doesn't currently transparently read Mac disks, but
the potential is certainly there. GS/OS performs ALL device reads through
FSTs (File System Translators) and RAM based device drivers. A 3.5" drive
device driver is already included with GS/OS, but there is no HFS FST. The
FSTs currently supplied are ProDOS, High Sierra, and Console - an FST for
character I/O to the screen and from the keyboard.

There are new sound tools on the disk. There is a Note Sequencer and Note
Synthesizer, along with a new Sound Tools. There is also a MIDI toolset and
a Tool that compresses and expands sound files (ACE - Audio Compression and
Expansion) (NOTE: these actually came out on System Disk 3.2, but that one
wasn't widely distributed).

No multi-tasking involved...But I don't think anyone would want that on a
2.8 MHz machine. Switching would be more practical, but that's not included
either.

Keith Rollin                                               amdahl\
Developer Technical Support                           pyramid!sun !apple!keith
Apple Computer                                             decwrl/
"You can do what you want to me, but leave my computer alone!"

gwyn@smoke.ARPA (Doug Gwyn ) (09/21/88)

In article <17431@apple.Apple.COM> keith@apple.com.UUCP (Keith Rollin) writes:
>No multi-tasking involved...But I don't think anyone would want that on a
>2.8 MHz machine. Switching would be more practical, but that's not included
>either.

The original implementations of UNIX were run on less powerful processors,
typically with less hard disk and less main memory.  I assure you I do
want multitasking, particularly so I can have a real toolkit environment
instead of just a bunch of programs.

bsherm@umbio.MIAMI.EDU (Bob Sherman) (09/21/88)

in article <17431@apple.Apple.COM>, keith@Apple.COM (Keith Rollin) says:

As one who spent quite a bit of time chatting with Keith Rollin at
Applefest, I personally would like to thank Keith for the time he spent
trying to help and assist all comers with questions. I also think we should
be glad to have /keith aboard here, as he DOES do more than just read what
we have to say about Apple Products, he takes the message where it has to
go to be heard, and he does it because he wants to, not because he has been
told to...

            THANKS KEITH!!!

--
  Internet  -- bsherm%umbio@umigw.miami.edu
  UUCP      -- {uunet!gould}!umbio!bsherm

NETOPRMS@NCSUVM.BITNET (Michael Steele) (09/22/88)

   I agree.

              THANKS Keith!

   At least SOMEONE at apple is listening and Answering our numerous questions.

 One rumor I would like to bounce off of netnews is the idea of useing a
 Chamelon chip in the GS+.  ie a chip that will emulate several processors
 using special rom drivers.  BUt using one of these chips would allow the GS
 to emulate a Mac and Apple would have a machine that runs everything.
    With GS OS we will be able to read and write to Mac disks, so logically
 the GS+ will be equipped with a MAC "card" or beeter yet the Chamelon chip.
 What do you all think about the idea?
NETOPRMS@NCSUVM.BITNET  Michael Steele  co-sysop of NCSU Apple Users BBS
10 meg Apple downloads(latest PD software), Tech/Pascal/PCP discussion
919-783-9010 (PC Pursuitable NCRTP)  Call today!  919-783-9010

TMURPHY@wpi.BITNET (09/23/88)

What, pray tell, is a Chamelon chip?  Does anyone actually make such
an unlikely beast?  Details, please.

Thomas C. Murphy         Worcester Polytechnic Institute CAD Lab
                              Mechanical Engineering Dept.
BITNET:   TMURPHY@WPI
Arpanet:  tmurphy%wpi.bitnet@talcott.harvard.edu

shankar@src.honeywell.COM (Subash Shankar) (09/24/88)

In article <475NETOPRMS@NCSUVM> NETOPRMS@NCSUVM.BITNET (Michael Steele) writes:

>              THANKS Keith!
>
>   At least SOMEONE at apple is listening and Answering our numerous questions.

Another thanks from here.

> [about using a chameleon chip to emulate other processors]
>    With GS OS we will be able to read and write to Mac disks, so logically
> the GS+ will be equipped with a MAC "card" or beeter yet the Chamelon chip.
> What do you all think about the idea?

Too many problems.
Different resolution, and more importantly different aspect ratio.
Different hardware resources (ROMs, sound, etc.)
It will slow down (probably stop) the development of native mode software.
Numerous other minor problems to ensure compatibility.

terranova@vms.macc.wisc.edu (John Terranova) (09/26/88)

In article <8809231536.AA23160@wpi.local>, TMURPHY@wpi.BITNET writes...

>What, pray tell, is a Chamelon chip?  Does anyone actually make such
>an unlikely beast?  Details, please.

A Chameleon (sp?) chip is the figment of someone's vivid imagination.
I don't believe that such a chip exists, yet.  (I'm sure I will be
corrected if I am mistaken.)  What the chip would do is up to the
programmer.

If the programmer wishes s/he had a 65C02 to program, then the chip
will function as a 65C02.  If the programmer desires a 68000, then
(presto) the chip thinks it is a 68000.  Want an 80386?  Just tell the
chip to emulate one and there you go.

The idea behind such a chip is to design a computer that can emulate
various other computers with different chips.  If one chip can emulate
all the other chips then that is the only one you would need.

>Thomas C. Murphy         Worcester Polytechnic Institute CAD Lab

-----------------------------+----------------+----------------------------
John C. Terranova            |  I said it.    |  I'm not a Computer
  CS, BS to be               |  So, flame me. |  Science Undergraduate,
terranova@vms.macc.wisc.edu  |  No one else.  |  but I play one at school.
It's awful hard to try to make love long-distance.
        --Billy Joel, "Just a Fantasy"

NETOPRMS@NCSUVM.BITNET (Michael Steele) (09/27/88)

> What is a chamelon chip?

 In the Rumor posting by Murphy Sewall had an article outlining a Jap co.
 that was planning to released such a chip.  It was the VM something.  But
 essentially you give it the instruction set you want to emulate and all the
 software thinks you are running XXXXX chip.  This allows you to run several
 different processors on one chip.