[comp.sys.apple] Apple Releases GS/OS and IIc Plus

prw@meccsd.MECC.MN.ORG (Paul R. Wenker) (09/16/88)

Today (9/16) at AppleFest, Apple released the IIc Plus and Apple IIGS
System Software Version 4.0 (GS/OS).  Here is the jist of the press
releases.

Apple IIGS System Software, Version 4.0

Copyright 1988, Apple Computer, Inc.

Apple IIGS System Software, Version 4.0 is a 16-bit, native-mode operating
system (GS/OS) with a revised Finder, and two new utilities: the Installer and
the Advanced Disk Utility. Version 4.0 system software improves the performance
of independent, stand-alone Apple IIGS systems, and provides a powerful,
versatile system software platform for non-networked Apple IIGS
software products.

The Apple IIGS system software, Version 4.0 features include:

-- 16-Bit Operating System

The essence of Apple IIGS System Software 4.0 is GS/OS, the first 16-bit,
native-mode operating system. GS/OS significantly speeds up boot time, disk
access time, and program launch time, and increases the performance of
disk-intensive applications. Data can be accessed directly from a wide range of
guest file systems via File System Translators. It also has the ability to
access file systems that support very large files and storage media (up to 4
gigabytes). GS/OS is compatible with Apple IIGS ProDOS 16 and will run
applications that follow ProDOS 16 design guidelines.

-- Improved Finder

The Finder has been improved to support GS/OS and to provide better overall
desktop performance. Several new features are supported by a more informative
interface, allowing better desktop management.

--  Two New Utilities

The Advanced Disk Utility and the Installer are two new system utilities
included in the 4.0 release. The Advanced Disk Utility has an easy-to-use
graphics interface, and provides functions such as initializing and erasing
hard and floppy disks. Hard disks can be partitioned to create multiple file
systems on a single disk.

The Installer can be used to customize start-up disks to match the system
configuration. For example, the Installer can be used to add a start-up disk to
the appropriate system file needed to connect a SCSI hard disk or CD-ROM drive
to the Apple IIGS. It also ensures system software integrity by updating
associated system files to the correct version, freeing you from manual updates
of system files.

Apple IIGS System Software 4.0 requires 512K RAM and ROM version 01.

Apple IIc Plus

Copyright 1988, Apple Computer, Inc.

The Apple IIc Plus CPU has a built-in accelerator that increases speed from 1
megahertz to 4 megahertz, an internal power supply, and an internal 3.5 inch
disk drive. It is a compact, lightweight computer that is versatile,
easy-to-use, and compatible with a large number of software programs.

The Apple IIc Plus replaces the Apple IIc and offers these enhancements:

--  Increased Speed

The Apple IIc Plus has a selectable, built-in accelerator that can increase its
clock speed from 1 MHz to 4 MHz. This means that the Apple IIc Plus can run
most programs four times faster than the Apple IIc. And, if a program is
running too fast, the accelerator can be turned off so that the computer
operates at 1 MHz (the operating speed of earlier models of the Apple II).

--  3.5" Internal Drive

The Apple IIc Plus includes an internal, 3.5" 800K floppy disk drive with a
push button for motorized disk ejection. The Apple IIc Plus has a disk storage
capacity of over five times that of previous Apple IIc models (approximately
400 pages) and increased speed when maneuvering through applications. The Apple
3.5 Drive, Apple 5.25 Drive, or the UniDisk 3.5 Drive, or a combination of
external drives can be configured with the Apple IIc Plus.  This means that
5.25" disks can be used with the Apple IIc Plus.

--  Improved Portability

The Apple IIc Plus has an internal power supply which is self-contained, making
the Apple IIc Plus highly transportable. Its handle makes the Apple IIc Plus
easy to transport and locks in a downward position, providing a stable inclined
keyboard for greater convenience.

--  Standardized Apple Cables

The Apple IIc Plus (as well as Apple IIGS and Macintosh CPUs) uses the same
Apple System Peripheral-8 cable for connecting peripherals to built-in serial
ports.

--  Software Compatibility

Existing software applications work with the Apple IIc Plus and take full
advantage of its new features. Over 500 software applications for the Apple IIc
Plus are available on 3.5" media.

>Today (9/16) at AppleFest, Apple released the IIc Plus and Apple IIGS
>System Software Version 4.0 (GS/OS).  Here is the jist of the press
>releases.

>Apple IIc Plus
>
>Copyright 1988, Apple Computer, Inc.
>
>The Apple IIc Plus CPU has a built-in accelerator that increases speed from 1
>megahertz to 4 megahertz, an internal power supply, and an internal 3.5 inch
>disk drive. It is a compact, lightweight computer that is versatile,
>easy-to-use, and compatible with a large number of software programs.

Gee, it's ALMOST a Laser 128 EX-2 clone ;-)

Did you notice what's missing here???  NO EXPANSION PORT (external access
to the bus)!!!

What on earth else good is the left side of the thing likely to be good for?

DUMB APPLE! dumb dumb dumb dumb dumb dumb dumb dumb!!!

I don't suppose anyone's making a half decent flat panel display for this
one either (tell me it's going to be compatible with the matrix display to
be released with the LapMac in January<?> --- PLEASE!!).

Murph Sewall     Sewall@UCONNVM.BITNET
Business School  sewall%uconnvm.bitnet@mitvma.mit.edu          [INTERNET]
U of Connecticut {rutgers psuvax1 ucbvax & in Europe - mcvax}
                 !UCONNVM.BITNET!SEWALL                        [UUCP]

-+- My employer isn't responsible for my mistakes AND vice-versa!

"We have met the enemy and they are us!" Pogo (Walt Kelly)

jetzer@studsys.mu.edu (jetzer) (09/19/88)

In article <1005@meccsd.MECC.MN.ORG>, prw@meccsd.MECC.MN.ORG (Paul R. Wenker) writes:

> Apple IIc Plus
>
> --  Improved Portability
>
>The Apple IIc Plus has an internal power supply which is self-contained, making
>the Apple IIc Plus highly transportable. Its handle makes the Apple IIc Plus
>easy to transport and locks in a downward position, providing a stable inclined
>keyboard for greater convenience.

Someone else wrote that there would be no more "brick on a leash."

The old //c had the external power supply, and the back panel connector had a
low DC voltage input.  This allowed for battery packs, cigarette lighter cords,
etc.

If you now have an internal power supply, this must mean that the //c+ has a
120 volt AC input.  This would seem to make it less portable.  Or does the
//c+ have a DC input as well?
--
Mike Jetzer
"Hack first, ask questions later."

V112PDL5@UBVMSC.CC.BUFFALO.EDU (09/19/88)

}i
   At least the introduction of a 4 Mhz Apple virtually assures an
accelerated GS, even if a year and a half away!

   Does anyone know if GS/OS can read MS-DOS or Mac disks? If Apple
would suppo{rt some obs{uure ISO standard you'd think it would support
one of its own at least. Well 4 Gigabyte Apple II hard disks can't
be far away................

prw@meccsd.MECC.MN.ORG (Paul R. Wenker) (09/19/88)

In article <241@studsys.mu.edu> jetzer@studsys.mu.edu (jetzer) writes:
>If you now have an internal power supply, this must mean that the //c+ has a
>120 volt AC input.  This would seem to make it less portable.  Or does the
>//c+ have a DC input as well?

The IIc Plus uses the standard Apple power cord.  There is no DC
input.

-Paul Wenker			prw@meccsd.MECC.MN.ORG
-MECC, Technical Services

REWING@TRINCC.BITNET (09/20/88)

>The Apple IIc Plus CPU has a built-in accelerator that increases speed from 1
>megahertz to 4 megahertz, an internal power supply, and an internal 3.5 inch
>disk drive. It is a compact, lightweight computer that is versatile,
>easy-to-use, and compatible with a large number of software programs.

>>Gee, it's ALMOST a Laser 128 EX-2 clone ;-)

>>Did you notice what's missing here???  NO EXPANSION PORT (external access
>>to the bus)!!!

>>What on earth else good is the left side of the thing likely to be good for?

>>DUMB APPLE! dumb dumb dumb dumb dumb dumb dumb dumb!!!

>>I don't suppose anyone's making a half decent flat panel display for this
>>one either (tell me it's going to be compatible with the matrix display to
>>be released with the LapMac in January<?> --- PLEASE!!).

Aw, c'mon Murph, give us a break.  Besides, did a Laser 128 ever look good with
an expansion card hanging off the end exposed.  Ever think that expansion
card would be just dead meat for any try static electricity charges that might
come a lurking.  Do you see why we introduce products after *thinking* about
all the implications first.

OK, so the //c+ is finally the same speed as a Laser 128K.  So sue us.

|Disclaimer: Disclaimers are for sissies and...what??? Me??? SUED?!?!?!   |
|Internet: REWING%TRINCC@MITVMA.MIT.EDU-----------Rick Ewing              |
|BITNET: REWING@TRINCC-----------------Systems Engineer, Apple Computer   |
|Applelink: EWING--------------------100 Ashford Center North, Suite 100  |
|Compu$erve: [76474,1732]--------------------Atlanta, GA 30338            |
|GENIE: R.EWING1--------------------------Talknet: (404) 393-9358         |
|USENET: ...ihnp4!psuvax!trincc.bitnet!rewing                             |
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

jma@beach.cis.ufl.edu (John M. Adams) (09/21/88)

What about those of us who bought an Apple //c and then paid $400
for the Unidisk 3.5.  Is Apple going to have a *REASONABLE* trade
in policy?  I never use the 5.25 drive on my //c.  And I'd love
the faster CPU.
--
Internet: jma@beach.cis.ufl.edu                     | John M. Adams        ///
UUCP: {codas|gatech}!uflorida!beach.cis.ufl.edu!jma |   University        ///

MATON%SASK.USask.CA@CORNELLC.CCS.CORNELL.EDU (TERRY MATON - PHYSICAL PLANT) (09/21/88)

RE: Laser 128  Expansion Slot.

I have been using an expansion slot for a couple of years...

My present config is with an Applied Engineering 'Ramfactor' card with
1 MEG memory. I have a 'Ramcharger' also from Applied Eng. which gives
me battery back-up in case of power failure or brown outs.  This system
enables me to keep Appleworks and other programs available instantly on
switching on the system (I use 'Procel' to select and manage my files on
the ramdisk).

One problem that has to be overcome if you use battery back-up is the two
seperate power supplies and switches - one on the computer and one on the
expansion box.  If you do not switch on and off at exactly the same time
you can loose everything on the ramdisk!  I have solved this problem by
connecting both computer and expansion box to a switched power bar and using
the switch on that to switch on and off.

Terry Maton

buyse@concave.uucp (Russell C. Buyse) (09/22/88)

In article <8809210225.aa29724@SMOKE.BRL.MIL> V112PDL5@UBVMSC.CC.BUFFALO.EDU writes:

> ... If Apple
>would support some obscure ISO standard you'd think it would support
>one of its own at least.

Suporting that statndard will help the Apple II to use the Apple CD-ROM
disk drive, an existing product, since those CD-ROMs are in the High
Sierra format.

-Russell Buyse.
UUCP: {uiucdcs,sun,uunet,harvard,killer,usenix}!convex!buyse

shawn@pnet51.cts.com (Shawn Stanley) (09/22/88)

jma@beach.cis.ufl.edu (John M. Adams) writes:

>What about those of us who bought an Apple //c and then paid $400
>for the Unidisk 3.5.  Is Apple going to have a *REASONABLE* trade
>in policy?  I never use the 5.25 drive on my //c.  And I'd love
>the faster CPU.

Apple has never had a reasonable trade in policy.  Why would they start
now?  Your best bet is to either keep your 3.5" drive as a second drive
for backups, copying, etc., or sell it.

UUCP: {rosevax, crash}!orbit!pnet51!shawn
INET: shawn@pnet51.cts.com

jjung@sal42.usc.edu (John Jung) (09/28/88)

  I don't own an Apple, but a few friends of mine who do, want to know more
about the Apple GS/OS and the IIc+. Could some one please E-mail me the official
press release of these items? That message is no longer on this end.

  Thanks in advance.

						John