[comp.sys.apple] Chameleon Chip

ralphw@ius3.ius.cs.cmu.edu (Ralph Hyre) (09/28/88)

>> What is a chamelon chip?
> In the Rumor posting by Murphy Sewall had an article outlining ...
> software thinks you are running XXXXX chip.  This allows you to run several
> different processors on one chip.

As I recall, the chip had to be 'burned in' to a particular instruction set
you wanted to run.  This would presumably limit its ability to run
'everything'

Some believe that this would be a way to avoid microcode lawsuits, since
resposibility for the chip's instruction set would be diffused.
--
					- Ralph W. Hyre, Jr.
Internet: ralphw@ius3.cs.cmu.edu    Phone:(412) CMU-BUGS

tmetro@LYNX.NORTHEASTERN.EDU (09/29/88)

 Thomas Murphy <pnet01!crash!BRL.MIL!TMURPHY%wpi.bitnet> writes:
> What, pray tell, is a Chamelon chip?  Does anyone actually make such
> an unlikely beast?  Details, please.

                         VAPORWARE
                       Murphy Sewall
   [an excerpt] From the September 1988 APPLE PULP
        H.U.G.E. Apple Club (E. Hartford) News Letter
                          $15/year
                       P.O. Box 18027
                  East Hartford, CT 06118
     Permission granted to copy with the above citation
            Call the "Bit Bucket" (203) 569-8739

Chameleon CPU.
Designers may salivate - but shouldn't hold their breath -
for the VM8600S microprocessor created by V.M. Technology
Corp., of Tsukuba, Japan. The CPU portion of the chip has a
native instruction set of 155 commands, but the company can
configure three programmable logic arrays (PLAs) on the chip
to translate another processor's instructions into the CPU's
native instruction.  A 25 MHz version of the 32-bit VM8600S
already has PLAs configured to translate Intel 80386
instructions.  PLAs to emulate the 68000 family and even the
yet to be shipped 65832 are technically feasible.
Unfortunately, samples of the microprocessor probably won't
be available in the United States for about a year.
- Electronic Design, June 9, 1988 (forwarded by Tom Metro)

| INET: tmetro@pro-angmar.uucp              --/\/\_| |_| '- DigiTell, Inc. |
| ARPA: crash!pnet01!pro-angmar!tmetro@nosc.mil             Newton, MA     |
| UUCP: [sdcsvax nosc]!crash!pnet01!pro%angmar!tmetro                      |
|_Alternate: tmetro@lynx.northeastern.edu__________________________________|