[comp.sys.apple] Z8000 series for apple lle][e

lance@ingr.UUCP (Lance Hendrix) (09/15/88)

I have been looking for information on the Z8000 series chips. I have
heard that the new z8000 can replace the z80 one for one. I have even
wrote Zilog for the this info, but they have not answered my letter.
The local dealers can not either deny/confirm the existance of these
chips. I want to know if these chips are pin compatable?????

acst@cisunx.UUCP (Andrea Cocito) (10/03/88)

>I have been looking for information on the Z8000 series chips. I have
>heard that the new z8000 can replace the z80 one for one. I have even
>wrote Zilog for the this info, but they have not answered my letter.
>The local dealers can not either deny/confirm the existance of these
>chips. I want to know if these chips are pin compatable?????

I worked for a couple of years with a Z8000 machine, and
on that machine i wrote my first assembler (& hex codes) programs:

The structure of the Zilog 8000 is completely different by the Z80,
It is a 16/32 bits processor with a completely different instruction set.
(supports segmented memory, protected mode, and so on).
It is absolutely not hardware compatible w/Z80.
I know that Zilog was working, some time ago, at two projects:
the Z800 that, if i remember well had to be a risc processor.
the Z80000 of wich don't know anything.
Maybe one of this two processors could be Z80 compatible.