[comp.sys.apple] 800K disk formatting

LWELCH@COLGATEU.BITNET (09/30/88)

Assuming I'm using GS/OS for everything, but I launch into ProDOS 8 applications
as well as ProDOS 16 ones, which disks should I initialize as 4:1 and which as
2:1?  How did the old ProDOS 16 initialize disks?
I would guess that disks to be used by ProDOS 8 applications should be done
as 4:1 and ProDOS 16 disks should be inited as 2:1 (with GS/OS)  Is this
correct?

Chip

LWELCH@COLGATEU.BITNET

keith@Apple.COM (Keith Rollin) (09/30/88)

In article <8809291720.aa01487@SMOKE.BRL.MIL> LWELCH@COLGATEU.BITNET writes:
>Assuming I'm using GS/OS for everything, but I launch into ProDOS 8 applications
>as well as ProDOS 16 ones, which disks should I initialize as 4:1 and which as
>2:1?  How did the old ProDOS 16 initialize disks?
>I would guess that disks to be used by ProDOS 8 applications should be done
>as 4:1 and ProDOS 16 disks should be inited as 2:1 (with GS/OS)  Is this
>correct?

This is correct, but only if you are using the platinum Apple 3.5" drives. These
drives are able to take advantage of a special driver the GS/OS team created to
get the best performance out of a 3.5 drive. However, the older UniDisk 3.5
drives have their I/O routines in ROM in the drive itself, which aren't as
good or as fast as the one with GS/OS. Therefore, it can't read disks with
the 2:1 interleave very well.

By the way, the GS/OS team is very proud of the Apple 3.5" driver. After
getting it to format a 3.5" disk in 34 seconds on the GS, they noticed that
it takes the Macintosh Finder on a Mac II *35* seconds. However, I haven't
tried this out to verify it; I'm afraid to...

Keith Rollin                                               amdahl\
Developer Technical Support                           pyramid!sun !apple!keith
Apple Computer                                             decwrl/
"You can do what you want to me, but leave my computer alone!"

mvs@meccsd.MECC.MN.ORG (Michael V. Stein) (10/01/88)

In article <8809291720.aa01487@SMOKE.BRL.MIL> LWELCH@COLGATEU.BITNET writes:
>Assuming I'm using GS/OS for everything, but I launch into ProDOS 8 applications
>as well as ProDOS 16 ones, which disks should I initialize as 4:1 and which as
>2:1?  How did the old ProDOS 16 initialize disks?

ProDOS 16 formatted disks with an interleave of 4, although I think it could
have worked with an interleave of 3.

>I would guess that disks to be used by ProDOS 8 applications should be done
>as 4:1 and ProDOS 16 disks should be inited as 2:1 (with GS/OS)  Is this
>correct?

You might want to always use an interleave of 2 with ProDOS 8.  Saving
data to the disk will be slower, but loading will be faster.  (Most
uses of the machine will require much more "loading" of data than "saving.")
If you happen to be using ProDOS 16, use an interleave of 4.

If you are using the uni-disk, always use an interleave of 4.

--
Michael V. Stein - Minnesota Educational Computing Corp. - Technical Services
{bungia,uiucdcs,umn-cs}!meccts!mvs  or  mvs@mecc.MN.ORG

delaney@wnre.aecl.CDN (10/02/88)

>By the way, the GS/OS team is very proud of the Apple 3.5" driver. After
>getting it to format a 3.5" disk in 34 seconds on the GS, they noticed that
>it takes the Macintosh Finder on a Mac II *35* seconds. However, I haven't
>tried this out to verify it; I'm afraid to...

Come on Kieth give it a try after formatting 40 disks at 49 sec each last
night I'm wishing I had that new driver.

Grant

kamath@reed.UUCP (Sean Kamath) (10/03/88)

In article <18008@apple.Apple.COM> keith@apple.com.UUCP (Keith Rollin) writes:

>By the way, the GS/OS team is very proud of the Apple 3.5" driver. After
>getting it to format a 3.5" disk in 34 seconds on the GS, they noticed that
>it takes the Macintosh Finder on a Mac II *35* seconds. However, I haven't
>tried this out to verify it; I'm afraid to...
>
>Keith Rollin                           pyramid!sun!apple!keith

This is the kind of enthusiasm I like to hear about in the Apple // team.
Squeeze out the best performance that you can, and be proud that you did.
Tell them to keep up the good work, and pat them on the back.

Sean Kamath

--
UUCP:  {decvax allegra ucbcad ucbvax hplabs ihnp4}!tektronix!reed!kamath
CSNET: reed!kamath@Tektronix.CSNET  ||  BITNET: kamath@reed.BITNET