[comp.sys.apple] GS/OS Questions

V112PDL5@UBVMS.BITNET (09/20/88)

  According to press releases GS/OS now supports disk formats other
than ProDOS. Okay, which of the following (if any) does it support
DOS 3.3, Pascal, Mac HS
[D
[D
[Df
[D
[D
[D
[D
FS, or MS-DOS. We know it supports some obscure ISO format.
  Given that Apple is shipping a utility that (paraphrazing) creatstes
partitions of differtrent OSs on hard disks, will it work with non-Apple
drives? (CMSA260s for instance) And given that, will partitions greater
than 32 megabytes be supported? Will ProDOS 8 applications be able to
read them or just "AppleShare Aware" programs?
  Whlhile I'm at it in what ways will system 4.0 increase program speed?
Is it merely disk access or have the Tools been revamped again?
Does it support disk caching? How fast is the new Finder's interface
and why is it faster? Is ProDOS as a name dead? GS/OS is shorter but
has an annoying and unsightly slash in it. Reminds me of OS/2. Uggh!

                              -mark

keith@Apple.COM (Keith Rollin) (09/21/88)

In article <8809191639.aa00747@SMOKE.BRL.MIL> V112PDL5@UBVMS.BITNET writes:

>  According to press releases GS/OS now supports disk formats other
>than ProDOS. Okay, which of the following (if any) does it support
>DOS 3.3, Pascal, Mac HS
>FS, or MS-DOS. We know it supports some obscure ISO format.

GS/OS ships supporting the ProDOS and High Sierra (ISO-9660 CD-ROM) formats. It
also supports character devices with a Console FST that handles screen output
and keyboard input.

>  Given that Apple is shipping a utility that (paraphrazing) creatstes
>partitions of differtrent OSs on hard disks, will it work with non-Apple
>drives? (CMSA260s for instance) And given that, will partitions greater
>than 32 megabytes be supported? Will ProDOS 8 applications be able to
>read them or just "AppleShare Aware" programs?

Volumes of greater than 32Meg ARE supported by GS/OS, per se, but NOT by the
ProDOS FST that most people will be using. This is due to limitations of the
ProDOS system since it was created. However, the limit on file and volume
sizes imposed by GS/OS is something like 4 GBytes!!! This means that you can
also access filing systems like High Sierra and HFS that can create volumes and
files of this size.

>  Whlhile I'm at it in what ways will system 4.0 increase program speed?
>Is it merely disk access or have the Tools been revamped again?
>Does it support disk caching? How fast is the new Finder's interface
>and why is it faster? Is ProDOS as a name dead? GS/OS is shorter but
>has an annoying and unsightly slash in it. Reminds me of OS/2. Uggh!

GS/OS improves only file access. Booting is faster, loading and running of
files is faster, loading of tools and fonts are faster, loading of DAs is
faster, etc. Also, I believe that the Console driver is faster than the
Text Tools, so if you write your programs to use that, text display should also
be faster.

Disk caching is supported. A disk's directory is ALWAYS cached, while other
blocks are stored in a cache of variable and settable size (there is a DA that
will let you determine this).

>                              -mark

Keith Rollin                                               amdahl\
Developer Technical Support                           pyramid!sun !apple!keith
Apple Computer                                             decwrl/
"You can do what you want to me, but leave my computer alone!"

bsherm@umbio.MIAMI.EDU (Bob Sherman) (09/21/88)

in article <8809191639.aa00747@SMOKE.BRL.MIL>, V112PDL5@UBVMS.BITNET says:

regarding all of your questions about GS-OS, I would suggest the 370+page
GS-OS ref. manual now available in beta draft from APDA..It will answer
most of your questions, and the tech notes that come with the 4.0 package
should answer your questions about the tool changes, bug fixes etc..
--
  Internet  -- bsherm%umbio@umigw.miami.edu
  UUCP      -- {uunet!gould}!umbio!bsherm

V112PDL5@UBVMSC.CC.BUFFALO.EDU (09/23/88)

>As for Mac disk support, it doesn't currently transparently read Mac disks, but
>the potential is certainly there. GS/OS performs ALL device reads through
>FSTs (File System Translators) and RAM based device drivers. A 3.5" drive
>device driver is already included with GS/OS, but there is no HFS FST. The
>FSTs currently supplied are ProDOS, High Sierra, and Console - an FST for
>character I/O to the screen and from the keyboard.

  What operations require the 3.5" driver or drivers in general.
Just operations other than with the ProDOS file system?
Will hard disks require new drivers? How are drivers made?

  The words "3.5" device driver" coming from Apple makes me nervous
as an owner of a non-Apple hard drive. Remember Apple's  printer driver for
the Mac was so complex that (at first) one printer manufacturer switched to
selling Imagewriter compatibles to avoid the trouble of writing their own
drivers.
  Look at these quotes from Volume 10, Issue 38 of InfoWorld about GS/OS:
"[GS/OS comes]...with an application model that increases its similarity to
the Mac." and "The new OS lets files have data and resource forks, the
same structure used in Mac applications." At first this seemed that Apple
would phaze out ProDOS in favor of Mac HFS making massive changes to APW in
the process.

>Volumes of greater than 32Meg ARE supported by GS/OS, per se, but NOT by the
>ProDOS FST that most people will be using. This is due to limitations of the
>ProDOS system since it was created. However, the limit on file and volume
>sizes imposed by GS/OS is something like 4 GBytes!!! This means that you can
>also access filing systems like High Sierra and HFS that can create volumes and
>files of this size.

  Ah, I believe I understand. But is it possible for a person to format an
Apple SC HD 40 or 80 (or perchance a CMS 60 megabyte HD) as one single volume
under a "non-ProDOS 4 GB" FST. In effect are non-Apple HD owners on their own
waiting for the independent party to produce a driver for those formats?
Actually, I'm not as concerned for >32 mb volumes as I am about the future.
Will future versions of GS/OS require a Mac HFS format with "a Mac-like
programming model" and "data and resource forks" leaving non-Apple HD owners
out in the cold? Probably not, right Keith?

  How do these FSTs change filenames? Will they only support the least common
denominator?

  By the bye, our local (North East) Apple dealer trainer (whatever his real
title is) mentioned that initially Apple had developed software enabling GSs
to serve as File Servers over AppleShare. But it was dumped citing abysmal
performance. With the faster GS/OS may this decion be revised? Of course at
the same time he stated High Sierra was a "error-correcting protocol for CDs"
and steadfastly refused to believe me that the Apple IIgs operates at 2.5/2.8
Mhz rather than his stated "2.0". He trains dealers right?

  Has anyone been having any trouble running Appleworks from v3.2 or 4.0?

p.s. Excuse me for the errors in prior messages. I hade a
misunderstanding with my Dataterm 550.

>Keith Rollin                                               amdahl\
>Developer Technical Support                           pyramid!sun !apple!keith
>Apple Computer                                             decwrl/
>"You can do what you want to me, but leave my computer alone!"

                           - mark cromwell

V112PDL5@UBVMS.BITNET (09/25/88)

Quotes by Keith Rollin:
>As for Mac disk support, it doesn't currently transparently read Mac disks, but
>the potential is certainly there. GS/OS performs ALL device reads through
>FSTs (File System Translators) and RAM based device drivers. A 3.5" drive
>device driver is already included with GS/OS, but there is no HFS FST. The
>FSTs currently supplied are ProDOS, High Sierra, and Console - an FST for
>character I/O to the screen and from the keyboard.

  The words "3.5" device driver" coming from Apple makes me nervous
as an owner of a non-Apple hard drive. Remember Apple's  printer driver for
the Mac was so complex that (at first) one printer manufacturer switched to
selling Imagewriter compatibles to avoid the trouble of writing their own
drivers.

  In a correction the CMS hard disks CAN be used with an Apple SCSI
controller. In fact that's the only way it can be used with System 4's
partitioning software. Apparently you'll either have to:
    a) buy an Apple SCSI card
    b) wait for Apple to support the CMS SCSI card
    c) wait for CMS to write a driver
I got this information indirectly (via Joe Craparotta) from the horse's
mouth: CMS.

Apparently you can create multiple 32 megabyte volumes o' ProDOS. Actually I
thought it was quite stupid of Apple to allow one to buy a 40 Mb HD and waste
the upper 8. Of course since CMS already allows partitioning up to a 60 Mb HD.
So who cares unless you want to partion your drive in one of the other
formats or like very, very big HDs.

  Look at these quotes from Volume 10, Issue 38 of InfoWorld about GS/OS:
"[GS/OS comes]...with an application model that increases its similarity to
the Mac." and "The new OS lets files have data and resource forks, the
same structure used in Mac applications." At first this seemed that Apple
would phaze out ProDOS in favor of Mac HFS (something I would like to see)
making massive changes to APW in the process. But GS/OS doesn't even support
HFS. I have heard nothing of this since I've read it though. Hmmmm.... Keith
do you know something I don't?

>Volumes of greater than 32Meg ARE supported by GS/OS, per se, but NOT by the
>ProDOS FST that most people will be using. This is due to limitations of the
>ProDOS system since it was created. However, the limit on file and volume
>sizes imposed by GS/OS is something like 4 GBytes!!! This means that you can
>also access filing systems like High Sierra and HFS that can create volumes and
>files of this size.

  By the bye, our local (North East) Apple dealer trainer (whatever his real
title is) mentioned that initially Apple had developed software enabling GSs
to serve as File Servers over AppleShare, but it was dumped citing abysmal
performance. With the faster GS/OS may this decision be revised? It kind of
hurts one's pride.
  Of course at the same time he stated High Sierra was a "error-correcting
protocol for CDs" and refused to believe the GS runs at 2.5/2.8 Mhz rather
than the 2.0 Mhz he stated in his presentation. I know that it may not be
such a big thing not to know the speed of one's company's machine but to
spread the wrong information?

  I find it quite ironic that Apple chose to give the GS the capablity to
read the CD-ROM ISO standared before they gave it to the Mac. The Mac could
not read ISO when the CD-ROM first came out. Of course System 6.0, 6.1, and
6.2 have came out since, so maybe that's not true. But if it is that would
mean we got Applelink *AND* ISO before the Mac. I bet all those Mac owners are
green with envy.

  Hey Keith! Will HFS be supported in GS OS/2? :-)

keith@Apple.COM (Keith Rollin) (09/27/88)

In article <8809250103.aa23938@SMOKE.BRL.MIL> V112PDL5@UBVMS.BITNET writes:
>Quotes by Keith Rollin:
>>As for Mac disk support, it doesn't currently transparently read Mac disks, but
>>the potential is certainly there. GS/OS performs ALL device reads through
>>FSTs (File System Translators) and RAM based device drivers. A 3.5" drive
>>device driver is already included with GS/OS, but there is no HFS FST. The
>>FSTs currently supplied are ProDOS, High Sierra, and Console - an FST for
>>character I/O to the screen and from the keyboard.
>
>  The words "3.5" device driver" coming from Apple makes me nervous
>as an owner of a non-Apple hard drive. Remember Apple's  printer driver for
>the Mac was so complex that (at first) one printer manufacturer switched to
>selling Imagewriter compatibles to avoid the trouble of writing their own
>drivers.

I think it's kind of unfair to compare the two types of drivers here. First of
all, we're talking Macs and Apples. Second, we're talking printers and disk
devices. Third, the method of writing device drivers is fully documented and
supported by Developer Technical support, something that wasn't done with
Mac Printer drivers. Finally, support is put into GS/OS to use the drivers
supplied in ROM on the devices peripheral card.

>Apparently you can create multiple 32 megabyte volumes o' ProDOS. Actually I
>thought it was quite stupid of Apple to allow one to buy a 40 Mb HD and waste
>the upper 8. Of course since CMS already allows partitioning up to a 60 Mb HD.
>So who cares unless you want to partion your drive in one of the other
>formats or like very, very big HDs.

But Apple has been shipping a utilityity that will allow you to partition your
drive. Also, the 20SC, 40SC, and 80SC drives are compatible with Macintoshes
which can use the capacity already. That's why we came out with them.

>  Look at these quotes from Volume 10, Issue 38 of InfoWorld about GS/OS:
>"[GS/OS comes]...with an application model that increases its similarity to
>the Mac." and "The new OS lets files have data and resource forks, the
>same structure used in Mac applications." At first this seemed that Apple
>would phaze out ProDOS in favor of Mac HFS (something I would like to see)
>making massive changes to APW in the process. But GS/OS doesn't even support
>HFS. I have heard nothing of this since I've read it though. Hmmmm.... Keith
>do you know something I don't?

Don't confuse HFS (an operating system) with a disk format that supports data
and resource forks. Both GS/OS and HFS support those. There is no need for HFS
on the GS just to use them.

By the way, as a personal opinion, I prefer GS/OS over HFS. I program on the GS
and Macintosh, and have used both extensively. I think that GS/OS has a cleaner
architecture with regard to system calls, device drivers, and File System
Translators; it's simply easier to use!

>  Hey Keith! Will HFS be supported in GS OS/2? :-)

I don't know -- we aren't writing the operating system for the IBM PC GS/2 :-)

prw@meccsd.MECC.MN.ORG (Paul R. Wenker) (09/27/88)

In article <8809250103.aa23938@SMOKE.BRL.MIL> V112PDL5@UBVMS.BITNET writes:
>Quotes by Keith Rollin:
>>As for Mac disk support, it doesn't currently transparently read Mac disks, but
>>the potential is certainly there. GS/OS performs ALL device reads through
>>FSTs (File System Translators) and RAM based device drivers. A 3.5" drive
>>device driver is already included with GS/OS, but there is no HFS FST. The
>>FSTs currently supplied are ProDOS, High Sierra, and Console - an FST for
>>character I/O to the screen and from the keyboard.
>
>  The words "3.5" device driver" coming from Apple makes me nervous
>as an owner of a non-Apple hard drive. Remember Apple's  printer driver for
>the Mac was so complex that (at first) one printer manufacturer switched to
>selling Imagewriter compatibles to avoid the trouble of writing their own
>drivers.

The format of GS/OS device drivers (and printer/port drivers for that
matter) is relatively simple and well documented.  There really is no
comparison to the Mac.  Unfortunatly, the format of FSTs is not
documented.  However, Apple has said that they are planning to do
HFS and Appletalk FSTs in the future.

>  Look at these quotes from Volume 10, Issue 38 of InfoWorld about GS/OS:
>"[GS/OS comes]...with an application model that increases its similarity to
>the Mac." and "The new OS lets files have data and resource forks, the
>same structure used in Mac applications." At first this seemed that Apple
>would phaze out ProDOS in favor of Mac HFS (something I would like to see)
>making massive changes to APW in the process. But GS/OS doesn't even support
>HFS. I have heard nothing of this since I've read it though. Hmmmm.... Keith
>do you know something I don't?

Just because GS/OS allows calls that support data and resource forks
doesn't mean that every FST has to support them.  The beauty of GS/OS
is that it is flexible enough to support all sorts of operating
systems.  There is no need to phaze out ProDOS in favor of
<favorite OS>, because with GS/OS you can have both OS's coexisting
transparently.

>  By the bye, our local (North East) Apple dealer trainer (whatever his real
>title is) mentioned that initially Apple had developed software enabling GSs
>to serve as File Servers over AppleShare, but it was dumped citing abysmal
>performance. With the faster GS/OS may this decision be revised? It kind of
>hurts one's pride.

Having 10-20 users doing AppleShare I/O will bring a Mac II server to it's
knees.  Since 30 user computer labs are quite common in schools (which
is primarily where AppleShare for the II is targeted), there is good
reason why Apple recommends a Mac II as a server.

-Paul Wenker			prw@meccsd.MECC.MN.ORG
-MECC, Technical Services

STEIN@UCONNVM.BITNET (Alan Stein) (09/29/88)

>By the way, as a personal opinion, I prefer GS/OS over HFS. I program on the GS
>and Macintosh, and have used both extensively. I think that GS/OS has a cleaner
>architecture with regard to system calls, device drivers, and File System
>Translators; it's simply easier to use!

I tend to agree, for now, although that will probably change when the
Mac gets its totally new OS.  It's certainly easier to install printers
and fonts on a GS than on a Mac.

Alan H. Stein    Department of Mathematics
The University of Connecticut at Waterbury

Internet: stein%uconnvm.bitnet@mitvma.mit.edu
BITNET:   STEIN@UCONNVM
UUCP:    {rutgers psuvax1 ucbvax & in Europe mcvax} !UCONNVM.BITNET!STEIN
Compu$erve: 71545,1500       Genie:  ah.stein

gwyn@smoke.ARPA (Doug Gwyn ) (10/03/88)

In article <8809250103.aa23938@SMOKE.BRL.MIL> V112PDL5@UBVMS.BITNET writes:
>But GS/OS doesn't even support HFS.

This isn't entirely true.  The System Disk Release 4.0 does not include
HFS support, true.  GS/OS can support it, however, as near as I can
determine, once somebody comes up with an appropriate FST.  I suspect
this is being worked on, but as you pointed out there are many applications
that would fail.  Time is needed to allow applications to become "FST-aware".