[comp.sys.apple] Best IIGS modem h/w & s/w - Reply

In article <6348@batcomputer.tn.cornell.edu> saponara@tcgould.tn.cornell.edu (Eric Haines) wrote a whole lot of stuff!

Well, one more raving review of ProTERM...At AppleFest ProTERM version
2.1 was announced, which will support Zmodem...

ProTERM is just the best terminal program I've ever seen...Ascii Express,
which can still be considered decent, PALES IN comparison to ProTERM...

It writes macros for you, etc etc etc...

	-short review but raving...A longer post about ProTERM experiences
at AppleFest to come within a few days...

	-tuu

koehn@gumby.cs.wisc.edu (Brad Koehn) (10/03/88)

In article <4965@saturn.ucsc.edu> unknown@ucscb.UCSC.EDU (The Unknown User) writes:

>ProTERM is just the best terminal program I've ever seen...Ascii Express,
>which can still be considered decent, PALES IN comparison to ProTERM...
>
>It writes macros for you, etc etc etc...
>
>	-short review but raving...A longer post about ProTERM experiences
>at AppleFest to come within a few days...
>
>	-tuu

So what?

I am a former (as of 7-88) Apple ][ series user. I was devout to the machine,
until I got my Mac (after nearly 7 years of computing on the ][). Believe me,
ProTerm is nothing to "rave" about. That program just, well, isn't. In terms
of power, it doesn't come close to AE Pro, really. Look at a term Program for
the Amiga (or Mac), which allows you to download, upload, chat, and run
another totally different application at the same time! Now, granted, the
reason that ProTerm can't implement those features (multitasking) isn't
entirely it's fault.

But it could support a few.

Brad Koehn

p.s. sorry Greg... no offense.

my opinions are entirely my own and do not necessarily reflect those of
UW-Madison.

c60c-3aw@web-3d.berkeley.edu (Andy McFadden) (10/04/88)

In article <1799@puff.cs.wisc.edu> koehn@gumby.cs.wisc.edu (Brad Koehn) writes:
>In article <4965@saturn.ucsc.edu> unknown@ucscb.UCSC.EDU (The Unknown User) writes:
>>ProTERM is just the best terminal program I've ever seen...Ascii Express,
>>which can still be considered decent, PALES IN comparison to ProTERM...
[stuff removed]

>So what?
>
>I am a former (as of 7-88) Apple ][ series user. I was devout to the machine,
>until I got my Mac (after nearly 7 years of computing on the ][). Believe me,
>ProTerm is nothing to "rave" about. That program just, well, isn't. In terms
>of power, it doesn't come close to AE Pro, really. Look at a term Program for
>the Amiga (or Mac), which allows you to download, upload, chat, and run
>another totally different application at the same time! Now, granted, the
[more stuff removed]

If you take a look at comp.binaries.mac, there's a program called "MCS" (Multi
Channel Something-or-other) which uses some error-correcting protocol to allow
simultaneous uploads, downloads, and chats.  It's fairly small, and shareware
too.

This isn't something that is excessively hard to do, it just hasn't been done
on a //gs yet.  The reason it isn't generally supported is that it is something
of a gimmick 90% of the time.  Since it usually will work only between two
identical computers running the same program, and there isn't really a
standardized protocol for this (I may be wrong on this point), it isn't
considered a necessity by most users.

While it would be really neat to have, it just isn't vital.

If you look at ProTERM, it's strength isn't in supporting rarely-used features
(although it does), but rather in being a COMPLETE term program.  All things
considered, there are very few things it CAN'T do.

Flames > /dev/null.

--
fadden@zen.berkeley.edu [crashed]
c60c-3aw@widow.berkeley.edu (Andy McFadden)

>In article <1799@puff.cs.wisc.edu> koehn@gumby.cs.wisc.edu (Brad Koehn) writes:
>So what?
>
>I am a former (as of 7-88) Apple ][ series user. I was devout to the machine,
>until I got my Mac (after nearly 7 years of computing on the ][). Believe me,
>ProTerm is nothing to "rave" about. That program just, well, isn't. In terms
>of power, it doesn't come close to AE Pro, really. Look at a term Program for
>the Amiga (or Mac), which allows you to download, upload, chat, and run
>another totally different application at the same time! Now, granted, the

What can AE Pro do that ProTERM can't do equally as well [or more likely,
BETTER]?

A small side note is that someone I know recently said that he not only liked
ProTERM as a terminal program, but as a utility...The person that said
that knows very little about computers, but it is a fairly valid statement.

If I want to copy a FEW files around from one disk to another, I often
just boot up ProTERM and use the disk utilities...[Using my 512K Ramdisk
as a replacement for the 2nd drive so I don't have to disk swap as much]...

The same goes for writing or editing a simple text/Appleworks file...The
editor is MUCH better than AEs...That's what I hated about AE, the really
lame line-based editor!

I use ProTERM as a utility mainly because of my laziness [it's the disk
that's already in the drive!], but it is quite capable of doing many
things besides being a terminal program...

Obviously, however, its purpose is being a terminal program, which it
does VERY well...

ProTERM 2.1 is going to have more features, of which I may have mentioned
a few days ago...It will have Zmodem and other new stuff...

Following is by Andy McFadden:
>If you look at ProTERM, it's strength isn't in supporting rarely-used features
>(although it does), but rather in being a COMPLETE term program.  All things
>considered, there are very few things it CAN'T do.

I agree with that...as you can obviously tell from my text above...

	-The Unknown User