[comp.sys.apple] //e RAM

mantis@koko.UUCP (Mike Elness) (09/29/88)

Agh!  My trusty Apple //e (enhanced) is sick!  Upon invoking the self-test
with Ctrl-Solid Apple-Reset, I got the following message:

    RAM   0 0 0 0 1 0 0 0

So does this mean that the fifth RAM chip from the left is the bad one?  I
simply can't afford to take my //e to an authorized Apple technician and have
him put in a new motherboard.  Instead, I plan to have an electronics repair
place desolder the bad RAM chip and pop in a new one.
All I need to know is which RAM chip is dead.
mantis (Mike Elness)
uunet!lll-winken!csustan!koko!mantis
or
ihnp4!lll-crg!csustan!koko!mantis
or
pyramid!zorch!tegan!koko!mantis

kamath@reed.UUCP (Sean Kamath) (10/03/88)

In article <849@koko.UUCP> mantis@koko.UUCP (Mike Elness) writes:
>Agh!  My trusty Apple //e (enhanced) is sick!  Upon invoking the self-test
>with Ctrl-Solid Apple-Reset, I got the following message:
>
>    RAM   0 0 0 0 1 0 0 0
>
>So does this mean that the fifth RAM chip from the left is the bad one?  I
>simply can't afford to take my //e to an authorized Apple technician and have
>him put in a new motherboard.  Instead, I plan to have an electronics repair
>place desolder the bad RAM chip and pop in a new one.
>All I need to know is which RAM chip is dead.
>mantis (Mike Elness)

Let's here it for soldering in *RAM*.  Of all the boneheaded things to do.
Are you *sure* the RAM is soldered in?  I really can't believe it!  Sheeesh.

In anycase, *my* RAM wasn't soldered in, so when I got "RAM  0 1 0 0 0 0 0 0"
I just tried second from right *and* left, and sure enough, true to RAM
message form, it's from the *right*.

I scrounged up a 4264-type RAM chip I happened to have laying around (seems
I lost the nine I had in a faom sheet somewhere. . .), and it works just
fine.

Alternatively, you could have called an authorized dealer, asked to speak
with the technition, and asked *him* (NOT the dealer) which chip was bad.
Unless you have really nasty technitions, they'll tell you.

Sean kamath
--
UUCP:  {decvax allegra ucbcad ucbvax hplabs ihnp4}!tektronix!reed!kamath
CSNET: reed!kamath@Tektronix.CSNET  ||  BITNET: kamath@reed.BITNET

jetzer@studsys.mu.edu (jetzer) (10/03/88)

In article <10468@reed.UUCP>, kamath@reed.UUCP (Sean Kamath) writes:
> In article <849@koko.UUCP> mantis@koko.UUCP (Mike Elness) writes:
> >Agh!  My trusty Apple //e (enhanced) is sick!  Upon invoking the self-test
> >with Ctrl-Solid Apple-Reset, I got the following message:

> >    RAM   0 0 0 0 1 0 0 0

> >So does this mean that the fifth RAM chip from the left is the bad one?  I
> >simply can't afford to take my //e to an authorized Apple technician and have
> >him put in a new motherboard.  Instead, I plan to have an electronics repair
> >place desolder the bad RAM chip and pop in a new one.
> >All I need to know is which RAM chip is dead.

> Let's here it for soldering in *RAM*.  Of all the boneheaded things to do.
> Are you *sure* the RAM is soldered in?  I really can't believe it!  Sheeesh.

Yes, enhanced //e's have soldered RAMs.

At work, we send our bad equipment out to a guy who is Apple trained, but is
not an authorized Apple technician as such.  He does stuff a lot cheaper, and
doesn't mark up the costs of replacement parts like the local dealer does (for
example, the ribbon advancement gear went bad on an Epson printer.  The local
dealer wanted $30; this other guy wanted $4.50).

At various times, we've had enhanced //e's go down with RAM problems.  Once
it came back with another RAM soldered right on top of it.  (One other time,
he unsoldered the RAM and put in a socket.)  He says he tests all of the RAM
to ensure that they arent's bad with the piggy-back technique.

So, if you're somewhat hesitant about unsoldering the RAM, try to piggy-back
it.

--
Mike Jetzer
"Hack first, ask questions later."

kamath@reed.UUCP (Sean Kamath) (10/06/88)

In article <251@studsys.mu.edu> jetzer@studsys.mu.edu (jetzer) writes:
>In article <10468@reed.UUCP>, I say:
>> Let's here it for soldering in *RAM*.  Of all the boneheaded things to do.
>> Are you *sure* the RAM is soldered in?  I really can't believe it!  Sheeesh.
>
>So, if you're somewhat hesitant about unsoldering the RAM, try to piggy-back
>it.
>
>--
>Mike Jetzer
>"Hack first, ask questions later."

I suggest that you not even bother trying to *ever* unsolder a ram chip!
You will almost gaurenteed screw up the motherboard.  Instead, cut the leg's
off the chip.  We did mac upgrades this way.  Yea, we toasted a *lot* of
good RAM's, but it beat wasting the whole board.

Once you cut the leg's off, you can pull out the pins really easily, and
then use a solder sucker to pull the solder out of the hole.

If I had one of those boneheaded machines, I cut out all the ram and put in
sockets.

I just can't believe it. . .

Sean Kamath