[comp.sys.apple] GS/OS and P8 startup appl

>Date:         Tue, 27 Sep 88 22:49:00 PST
>From:         "Scott,
>              part time fuzzy"
>              <SELLSWORTH%HMCVAX.BITNET%cunyvm.cuny.edu@BRL.MIL>
>Subject:      GS/OS

>First, what is the user impression of GS/OS?  Is it worth driving all
>over the city to find a dealer with a copy?  How 'bout the manuals
>for the fledgling developer?

Yes.  Drive around and get one (or order it from APDA).  No idea
about the user manuals, but you definitely want the Reference manual
from APDA  if you're developing software for it.  You'll miss out on
a lot of fun new stuff if you limit yourself to the old ProDOS 16
calls.

>Third, has there been any incompatibilities with Davex, my favorite
>command shell (plug plug plug :-))

The only incompatibility I know of is when you try to boot right
into Davex under System Disk 4.0.  Turns out there's a problem with
the way the "boot thermometer" works (it isn't really a thermometer
if you ask me...it doesn't get Hotter and Hotter until the boot is
complete, so I call it a "progress bar" instead, but everybody else
calls it a thermometer).  ANYWAY...there's an interrupt routine
getting called every 60th of a sec to update that bar, and the
routine LIVES IN BANK 0 and can get OVERWRITTEN by a ProDOS 8
startup application if it's long enough (more than about $5000
bytes, which Davex is definitely longer than).  Result is a fatal
error from the damaged interrupt queue, and you have to reboot (from
another disk).

For now, if you want to boot into Davex, you can boot through
BASIC.SYSTEM--just set up a STARTUP program that goes HOME and
?CHR$(4);"-DAVEX/DAVEX" or whatever.  Clearing the screen convinces
the interrupt routine it's time to clear out of the way.

(I've described the problem to Apple and they've described it as a
"limitation."  I believe and hope that this limitation will be
removed in the next System Disk release.)

>                                 Scott
>                          bitnet:       SELLSWOR@HMCVAX

--David A. Lyons              bitnet: awcttypa@uiamvs
  DAL Systems                 CompuServe:  72177,3233
  P.O. Box 287                GEnie mail:    D.LYONS2
  North Liberty, IA 52317     AppleLinkPE: Dave Lyons