[comp.sys.apple] GS/OS and the Sider: HELP!

tribby@hpindda.HP.COM (David Tribby) (09/23/88)

I tried bringing my system up with GS/OS last night and ran into a couple
of problems...

My GS has a 10mb Sider in slot 7, and 1 meg of expansion memory. There are
3.5 and 5.25 disk drives connected from the disk port. The GS is set
to "scan" for boot-up, so it finds the Sider card and boots from there.

When I booted the system from the GS/OS system.disk in the 3.25 drive, it
did not recognize either the Sider or 5.25 ProDOS volumes; the Finder
did not list them and they did not appear from APW's "show units" command.

One time, I started "Boot Into ProDOS" from the Sider startup menu, then
interrupted it by a RESET and PR#5 while the Sider's access light was on.
That time the Filer gave this message when it started:

         This volume was initialized for another
         operating system and can't be read by GS/OS.
         Do you want to initialize it?
       /-------\                /------------\
       | Eject |                | Initialize |
       \-------/                \------------/

I chose the "eject" button. The Filer did not show the first Sider ProDOS
volume, but it recognized the second volume without any problem!

How do I get GS/OS to recognize my Sider?
Do I have to re-initialize either or both Sider volumes?
Where are the new disk utilities documented?
Why doesn't the new system.disk boot up to recognize 5.25 disks?

--Dave Tribby
                                   - - - - -
        ARPA: tribby%hpda@hplabs.HP.COM   UUCP: hplabs!hpda!tribby

bsherm@umbio.MIAMI.EDU (Bob Sherman) (09/25/88)

in article <6230015@hpindda.HP.COM>, tribby@hpindda.HP.COM (David Tribby) says:

> I tried bringing my system up with GS/OS last night and ran into a couple
> of problems...
>
> My GS has a 10mb Sider in slot 7, and 1 meg of expansion memory. There are
> 3.5 and 5.25 disk drives connected from the disk port. The GS is set
> to "scan" for boot-up, so it finds the Sider card and boots from there.

If your Sider is NOT a SCSI device, good luck using GS-OS.. I understand that
it even leaves Apples own Profile drives out in left field. Of course I
guess that you could try writing your own driver routines for the Sider..

On the other hand, you could contact the Sider folks, and tell them that you
supported their product, and now it's time for them to give you some
support in getting their product to operate correctly.. perhaps they have
either a patch, or new rom, or an upgrade policy to offer..

Regarding the 5.25 inch Apple drives, yes, they work just fine with
GS-OS, even the old disk II drives work, since they are the ones I am
using with GS-OS.. A look at the GS-OS documentation will explain how
to install them, and then turn them on or off at will.. That makes it
very easy when you don't need the 5.25's online, so that the finder does not
waste time checking them every time...
--
  Internet  -- bsherm%umbio@umigw.miami.edu
  UUCP      -- {uunet!gould}!umbio!bsherm

tribby@hpindda.HP.COM (David Tribby) (09/26/88)

For the rest of you Sider owners... The Sider works fine as a boot-up disk
under GS/OS once you get the new files on it! I backed up both /HARD1 and
/HARD2, copied the new system files onto /HARD1, rebooted the system, and
chose "Boot into ProDOS" from the Sider menu. I breathed a lot easier when
I saw the "Welcome to the IIGS" screen and the booting process completed.
I guess as long as you boot from the Sider, GS/OS will recognize it.

Bob Sherman: thanks for responding...
> Regarding the 5.25 inch Apple drives, yes, they work just fine with
> GS-OS, even the old disk II drives work, since they are the ones I am
> using with GS-OS.. A look at the GS-OS documentation will explain how
> to install them, and then turn them on or off at will.. That makes it
> very easy when you don't need the 5.25's online, so that the finder does not
> waste time checking them every time...

After playing with the "installer" program, I figured out that the 5.25 drive
does not come configured on the system disk, but can be easily added.
Believe me, I did "look at the GS-OS documentation" and couldn't find any
information on the new utilities. A friend picked up the APDA version of
GS/OS at Applefest plus the Beta version of the GS/OS reference manual
(volume 1). Could you tell me more specifically where to find information on
how to turn the 5.25 drives on and off? (Page # would be nice.) Many thanks!

--Dave Tribby
                                   - - - - -
        ARPA: tribby%hpda@hplabs.HP.COM   UUCP: hplabs!hpda!tribby

NETOPRMS@NCSUVM.BITNET (Michael Steele) (09/27/88)

Bob Sherman writes:

  > I'm having problems getting GS OS to work on my Sider....
     (paraphrased)

  My Sider works fine but it may be one of the SCSI versions.  But I am having
  a problem getting GS OS to recognize my Central Point 3.5.  GS OS blows up
  whenever I boot it and the 3.5 is connected.  Works fine when I turn off the
  3.5 via the control panel ( I use the harddisk to run GS OS).

  Anyone have a similar problem or rather a solution?
NETOPRMS@NCSUVM.BITNET  Michael Steele  co-sysop of NCSU Apple Users BBS
10 meg Apple downloads(latest PD software), Tech/Pascal/PCP discussion
919-783-9010 (PC Pursuitable NCRTP)  Call today!  919-783-9010

shawn@pnet51.cts.com (Shawn Stanley) (09/29/88)

tribby@hpindda.HP.COM (David Tribby) writes:
>Why doesn't the new system.disk boot up to recognize 5.25 disks?

I remember having problems with this while using the System Disk 3.1.
Sometimes, I had to have a disk in the 5.25" drive to get it to show
up on the desktop.

UUCP: {rosevax, crash}!orbit!pnet51!shawn
INET: shawn@pnet51.cts.com

in article <6230015@hpindda.HP.COM>, tribby@hpindda.HP.COM (David Tribby) says:

> I tried bringing my system up with GS/OS last night and ran into a couple
> of problems...
>
> My GS has a 10mb Sider in slot 7, and 1 meg of expansion memory. There are
> 3.5 and 5.25 disk drives connected from the disk port. The GS is set
> to "scan" for boot-up, so it finds the Sider card and boots from there.

First Class Peripherals [makers of Sider drives] was at AppleFest, and I believethey had GS/OS running on some of their demo computers...I'm not 100% positive, but I seem to remember that practically every hard drive manufacturer at the
show was running GS/OS to prove that it ran on their drives..

On a side note, 1st Class Peripherals had a quite successful gimmick of giving
away cider with their Siders....Actually they were just giving away small
bottles of Martinelli's Sparkling Cider to anyone that entered their contest...
[We won't mention the fact that some IDIOTS STOLE WHOLE CASES of them!]

				-tuu

tribby@hpindda.HP.COM (David Tribby) (10/04/88)

I visited several Apple dealers this weekend to check out the "end user"
documentation for GS/OS. (I had already purchased GS/OS and the internal
documentation from APDA.)

At Computer Attic (about a mile south of Apple headquarters, on DeAnza Blvd.),
the salesman said he didn't expect to receive copies of GS/OS for several more
weeks.

Computers Plus (Fremont & Mary in Sunnyvale) had installed GS/OS on their
demo system, but were having problems with the hard disk. They had about
3 copies of the "end user" GS/OS package (two disks and two manuals neatly
packaged in a box) they were selling for ~$39, but they had not opened
any of the packages so they couldn't show me the manuals. (If the technician
couldn't fix their hard disk problem on Monday, he would probably open up
one of the packages and read the manuals.)

Priority 1 (El Camino in Sunnyvale) had GS/OS on their demo system, and the
salesman was very helpful. He suggested running BASIC to get GS/OS to
recognize the Sider; I tried that when I got home (booted up from 3.5"
floppy into the Finder & Sider volumes are not listed; run BASIC; say BYE;
when Finder restarts, /HARD1 and /HARD2 are available!). As far as turning
off the 5.25" drive so the Finder doesn't keep accessing it when there is
no disk inserted, he suggested going to the control panel and indicating
the drive was running off of a card rather than the smart port. (A reboot
would be required to change it back.) He didn't have copies of GS/OS to sell,
but he got the store's two manuals and let me read them in the store. I found
they were tutorial-oriented, with not much information beyond what I had
already figured out. One thing the manual confirmed for me: the advanced
disk utility is not of much use unless you have a SCSI hard disk that you
want to partition.

--Dave T.
                                   - - - - -
        ARPA: tribby%hpda@hplabs.HP.COM   UUCP: hplabs!hpda!tribby

shawn@pnet51.cts.com (Shawn Stanley) (10/05/88)

tribby@hpindda.HP.COM (David Tribby) writes:
>Priority 1 (El Camino in Sunnyvale) had GS/OS on their demo system, and the
>salesman was very helpful. He suggested running BASIC to get GS/OS to
>recognize the Sider; I tried that when I got home (booted up from 3.5"
>floppy into the Finder & Sider volumes are not listed; run BASIC; say BYE;
>when Finder restarts, /HARD1 and /HARD2 are available!). As far as turning

Thank you VERY much for passing that information along.  I'm going to have
to try that.  I just received GS/OS yesterday, and I spent many hours last
night trying to get it to recognize my hard drive.  It was hell.  Basically,
my evening went like this:

I booted up GS/OS.  Very impressive!  I like the startup status bar it gives
you as it loads things.  However, as I didn't want to make any changes to my
master disk (which turned out to be a wise precaution), it took a lot of extra
time finishing up the boot process.  It probably tried to work out the font
list file and did some sort of error checking that it gave up on.

The desktop came up.  I noticed there was no Apple 20 meg hard drive anywhere
on it.  "Oh great."  So I put the /SYSTEM.TOOLS disk in the other 3.5" drive
and checked that out.  It had an option for installing a SCSI Hard Drive
driver!  Looked good to me.  So I made a copy of my /SYSTEM.DISK, ran the
Installer on it to place the SCSI driver in the /SYSTEM.DISK/SYSTEM/DRIVERS
subdirectory, and booted it.

I had several problems.  I made several attempts.  At one time I noticed that
although it started up fine, it still wouldn't show the hard drive icon.  But
that seemed to be the least of my problems.  I discovered that one of my 3.5"
drives seemed to be very unreliable in reading/writing disks, although I never
got any initialization/copy errors from the new Finder.  On booting up the
hard drive (with SYSTEM.DISK 3.1) I was able to attempt the copy, but got
blocked by the fact that the Finder on that version would recognize an
initialization error and instead of reporting it, ejected the disk and made
the icon for that drive dim.  Problems at every turn...

I even tried copying the entire SYSTEM.DISK to an 800k /RAM volume at one
point.  That was interesting.  I installed the SCSI driver on that and booted
from it, and it finished the initialization before the status bar was fully
red.  That was amusing... booting up from /RAM is very quick indeed.  However,
the hard drive icon still refused to appear.

My personal guess is that it's some sort of chicken-and-egg problem.  You
can't access the hard drive unless you've accessed the hard drive.  I wonder
what would happen if the SCSI card was in a lower port... not that I have any
lower slots free to attempt it.

I will try your BASIC solution.  It seems reasonable enough to work.
Incidently, did you need the SCSI driver installed on your system disk
for it to work, or did it work without it?

tribby@hpindda.HP.COM (David Tribby) (10/06/88)

shawn@pnet51.cts.com (Shawn Stanley) writes:
> Incidently, did you need the SCSI driver installed on your system disk
> for it to work, or did it work without it?

The Sider doesn't require the SCSI driver. I didn't install it on my system,
and GS/OS can access the disk.

--Dave
                                   - - - - -
        ARPA: tribby%hpda@hplabs.HP.COM   UUCP: hplabs!hpda!tribby