[comp.sys.apple] Finder problems in 4.0

jordan%lvvm6.span@SDS.SDSC.EDU (RICH) (10/06/88)

TMPLee@dockmaster.arpa writes:

>There is a definite timing bug in the finder that came on the 4.0 system
>disk.  Has anyone else noticed it?  I haven't been able to narrow it
>down, but fairly frequently (couple times a day) when I double click on
>an application icon the system completely hangs after closing any open
>windows.
.
.
.

Has this problem occurred to you only immediately after startup? Or has it
happened after returning from another application and trying to launch
another? If so, which applications? I have had this happen a couple of times,
but never immediately after startup. In addition to hanging completely (no
mouse movement, no control panel), I get a black line across the desktop and
occasionally some scattered dots at random locations. Do you?

Keith, any ideas? I know I never experienced this under system 3.1. Thanks!

							Rich
<jordan%lvva.span@sds.sdsc.edu>

keith@Apple.COM (Keith Rollin) (10/07/88)

In article <881005183336.26a000a8@Sds.Sdsc.Edu> jordan%lvvm6.span@SDS.SDSC.EDU (RICH) writes:
>TMPLee@dockmaster.arpa writes:
>
>>There is a definite timing bug in the finder that came on the 4.0 system
>>disk.  Has anyone else noticed it?  I haven't been able to narrow it
>>down, but fairly frequently (couple times a day) when I double click on
>>an application icon the system completely hangs after closing any open
>>windows.
>
>Has this problem occurred to you only immediately after startup? Or has it
>happened after returning from another application and trying to launch
>another? If so, which applications? I have had this happen a couple of times,
>but never immediately after startup. In addition to hanging completely (no
>mouse movement, no control panel), I get a black line across the desktop and
>occasionally some scattered dots at random locations. Do you?
>
>Keith, any ideas? I know I never experienced this under system 3.1. Thanks!

None of us here have seen it. I'll pass this on, though. However, the questions
you ask above are valid, with the following additions:

	- how much memory do you have?
	- what kinds of CDA's NDA's Inits setups files, etc. do you have?
	- what kind of 3rd party hardware do you have?
	- where are the applications (what kind of drives)?

If anyone else has heard of this problem, let me know!!!

Keith Rollin                               UUCP:      amdahl\
Developer Technical Support                      pyramid!sun !apple!keith
Apple Computer                                        decwrl/
                                         BITNET: keith%apple.com@relay.cs.net
"You can do what you want to me, but leave my computer alone!"