[comp.sys.apple] varia

KAPFFER@DMZRZU71.BITNET (Matthias Kapffer) (10/05/88)

1)  When I transfer files from ProDOS (with an II+ and an 7710 serial card) to
   our  host  using  Kermit  3.84  (last version from APPLE2-L) using an 8-bit
   connection  (i.e.   no  parity  on  both  sides) the Apple Kermit sends the
   control  prefix  (#,  $23) with the high bit set so that the receiving side
   won't be able to convert back control chars which makes unrecoverable trash
   out of the file.  Has anybody else similar problems ?  Does somebody know a
   fix ?  (Currently I just limit the Apple to space parity so only seven bits
   can be transmitted.  This can't be used, of course, for binary files !)

2)  Does  somebody  have the GS version mentioned in the deARC //e docs posted
   recently on the binary lists ?

3)  I  remember a lot of talk about save (gateway proved) 6-bit coding sheemes
   back in May.  Are there any results by now ?

4)  While I'm on the subject of saving net bandwidth: When distributing ProDOS
   16  (oops,  GS/OS)  software (to be more specific: OMF files), it should be
   ensured  that  they  are  in the shortest V2 format by applying the COMPACT
   utility  from  APW.   Free Term GS, for example, will go down from 63488 to
   44838  bytes,  a  reduction  by  29% !  Of course, this is directed more to
   programmers.   (I've  even  seen  commercial programs which I could back up
   from two onto one disk with the help of COMPACT !)

M a t t h i a s   K a p f f e r

mail :  Hermann Brill-Strasse 10
        D-6200 Wiesbaden
        West Germany
phone:  +49 6121 460854
email:  BITNET   : KAPFFER@DMZRZU71

c60c-3aw@web-4a.berkeley.edu (Andy McFadden) (10/06/88)

In article <8810031051.aa17439@SMOKE.BRL.MIL> KAPFFER@DMZRZU71.BITNET (Matthias Kapffer) writes:
[various stuff removed...]
>2)  Does  somebody  have the GS version mentioned in the deARC //e docs posted
>   recently on the binary lists ?

Yes, but it isn't much to look at.  It's like the //e version with glitches.

>4)  While I'm on the subject of saving net bandwidth: When distributing ProDOS
>   16  (oops,  GS/OS)  software (to be more specific: OMF files), it should be
>   ensured  that  they  are  in the shortest V2 format by applying the COMPACT
>   utility  from  APW.   Free Term GS, for example, will go down from 63488 to
>   44838  bytes,  a  reduction  by  29% !  Of course, this is directed more to
>   programmers.   (I've  even  seen  commercial programs which I could back up
>   from two onto one disk with the help of COMPACT !)

COMPACT is nice, but not everyone has it.  Stick to BLU until something like
"BLU GS" comes out...

--
fadden@zen.berkeley.edu [crashed]
c60c-3aw@widow.berkeley.edu (Andy McFadden)

shawn@pnet51.cts.com (Shawn Stanley) (10/07/88)

KAPFFER@DMZRZU71.BITNET (Matthias Kapffer) writes:
>4)  While I'm on the subject of saving net bandwidth: When distributing ProDOS
>   16  (oops,  GS/OS)  software (to be more specific: OMF files), it should be
>   ensured  that  they  are  in the shortest V2 format by applying the COMPACT
>   utility  from  APW.   Free Term GS, for example, will go down from 63488 to
>   44838  bytes,  a  reduction  by  29% !  Of course, this is directed more to
>   programmers.   (I've  even  seen  commercial programs which I could back up
>   from two onto one disk with the help of COMPACT !)

I don't have the COMP utility.  I use the Orca/M environment for APW-type
development.  How can I gain the use of this utility?

UUCP: {rosevax, crash}!orbit!pnet51!shawn
INET: shawn@pnet51.cts.com

KAPFFER@DMZRZU71.BITNET (Matthias Kapffer) (10/07/88)

> Date:         Wed, 5 Oct 88 20:26:23 GMT
> From:         Andy McFadden
>               <agate!web-4a.berkeley.edu!c60c-3aw@UCBVAX.BERKELEY.EDU>
> Subject:      Re: varia
>
> In article <8810031051.aa17439@SMOKE.BRL.MIL> KAPFFER@DMZRZU71.BITNET
> (Matthias Kapffer) writes:
[various stuff removed...]
>>  4)  While  I'm  on  the subject of saving net bandwidth: When distributing
>>     ProDOS  16  (oops, GS/OS) software (to be more specific: OMF files), it
>>     should  be  ensured that they are in the shortest V2 format by applying
>>     the  COMPACT utility from APW.  Free Term GS, for example, will go down
>>     from  63488  to  44838  bytes, a reduction by 29% !  Of course, this is
>>     directed more to programmers. (I've even seen commercial programs which
>>     I could back up from two onto one disk with the help of COMPACT !)
>
> COMPACT is nice, but not everyone has it.  Stick to BLU until something like
> "BLU GS" comes out...

COMPACT  doesn't  compare  to BLU: COMPACT will be applied once on the sending
side  (or even better the programmer's side); the resulting OMF load file will
still  execute  (if  the  System  Loader isn't too old) without any additional
action  on the receiver's side (as contrary to BLU or SQUEEZE) because COMPACT
only  transforms  the  relocation  dictionary to a more compact [a quick quiz:
where does it's name come from ?] form by specializing on certain record types
(like  the  ones for two byte addresses which don't include the redundant zero
bank  byte)  and storing relative addresses in the corresponding holes left in
the load image.  That leads to reduced disk space requirements and faster load
times.   Therefore  COMPACT  is independant of BLU (and not a replacement) and
can *always* be used before squeezing and bunnying OMF files together.