[comp.sys.apple] Ae Pro...

tmetro@pro-angmar.UUCP (Tom Metro) (03/28/88)

Does anyone know what the "USII.BDOS" file is used for on the Ascii Express
(ProDOS) disk? According to the manual it is a database for the install
program. I looked through the 55 block long file and it contained mostly
zeros. There was a page or two of data that was repeated several times
throught the file. It contained ascii strings like "baud" and "Waiting for
carrier...". I removed the file from my AE disk (to make room for other
things) and it seems to have no effect. All my parameters are still the same
in AE and in Install.
I do recall loosing my parameter settings once when I ran Copy ][+'s "fix file
lengths" on my DOS 3.3 version. It scrunched the USII.BDOS file way down.

mdavis@pro-sol.cts.COM (Morgan Davis) (03/29/88)

Tom Metro (tmetro@pro-angmar) writes:
> Does anyone know what the "USII.BDOS" file is used for on the Ascii Express
> (ProDOS) disk?
> ..
> I do recall losing my parameter settings once when I ran Copy ][+'s
> "fix the file lengths" on my DOS 3.3 version.  It scrunched the USII.BDOS
> file way down.

The BDOS file for AE Pro contains a database of BIOS drivers (BIOS = Basic
Input/Output System).  These are actually a collection of drivers for
different modem and hardware configurations, and they're used only when
running the INSTALL portion of AE Pro.  INSTALL copies the correct BIOS
entries from this file into AE Pro proper so that they will be resident when
you run the program.  This is why you can move the BDOS file elsewhere as long
as you won't be using the INSTALL portion.

I seriously discourage modifying this file (in either the DOS 3.3 or ProDOS
versions).  Doing so would mean that INSTALL could fail to configure your AE
Pro correctly for some configurations.

--Morgan Davis
  United Software Industries, Inc.

UUCP: crash!pnet01!pro-sol!mdavis
ARPA: crash!pnet01!pro-sol!mdavis@nosc.mil
INET: mdavis@pro-sol.cts.com

mdavis@pro-sol.cts.COM (Morgan Davis) (10/04/88)

Joe Craparotta writes:

> Come on Brad... Comparing a ][ (any one of them) to a Mac or Amiga is a
> little ridiculous.. As for AE Pro.. It CANT'T compare with Proterm.. I
> don't know of anyone who EVER got its supposed emulation to work.

You probably don't know anyone who actually *owns* AE Pro; someone with a
manual.  Nevertheless, AE Pro has not been awarded A+ Magazine's Reader's
Choice award three years in a row for "supposed emulation that doesn't work."
It works.

If any customer of United Software has trouble or questions with a product,
they can simply call the toll-free customer support number for help.  Anyone
who needs assistance and doesn't call for support is not using their purchase
wisely.

> Although Proterm does have some bugs, its still a hell of a lot better.
> Ever wonder why they came out with Mousetalk???

MouseTalk is NOT a replacement for AE Pro.  In fact, MouseTalk was developed
long before ProTerm had even been started.  Where AE Pro addressed more of a
technical audience and supports a myriad of hardware configurations for all
Apple II series computers, MouseTalk targets a more specific audience.
MouseTalk takes advantage of the mouse and MouseText abilities of the IIGS,
IIc, and IIe to provide a more friendly, easy to use interface to a terminal
program, patterned after the Macintosh.

> And that still doesn't do emulations....

MouseTalk and AE Pro have always been able to emulate a variety of terminals.
In particular, MouseTalk can mimic the characteristics of the ADDS Viewpoint,
ADM 3A, DEC VT-52, DEC VT-100/102, Hazeltine 1510, Heath 19, Zenith Z19, IBM
3101, Soroc IQ-120, Standard Apple //, Standard TTY, and Televideo 910/912.

> BTW your Mac or Amiga can't beat my VAXSTATION 2000 for anything!!!!
>
> Joe

An interesting, yet unwanted bit of commentary.  Too bad you can't run
ProTerm on your VAX, eh?  I look forward to bantering with you in the future
when you have your facts straight.  Thank you.

--Morgan Davis
  United Software Industries, Inc.

UUCP: crash!pnet01!pro-sol!mdavis		ProLine:  mdavis@pro-sol
ARPA: crash!pnet01!pro-sol!mdavis@nosc.mil	MCI Mail: 137-6036
INET: mdavis@pro-sol.cts.com			APE, BIX: mdavis

craparotta@kyoa.DEC.COM (Physical T5--Virtual T7) (10/05/88)

Rich,

Your really pretty STUPID!!! I NEVER said AE was a garbage program... I put forth my opinion on the program and its emulation. Since I tie into a VAX [you know
a computer] AE never did the emulation correctly. When someone states that a
comm program does emulation, it should be 100%. Not 90% or 95%... I can underst
and Morgan jumping on me for my message. He works for United Software.. But You!! How can you make such a STUPID remark about not having a *LEGITIMATE* copy..
You obviously don't have a LEGITIMATE brain... Nuff said... I will not clutter
up the NET with this anymore. If someone has anything good/bad to say to me please send me mail... I apologize to anybody that was offended by this..

Joe

ps: Proterm at times does have problems copying files.. It can intermittenly addor subtract a block on a file.. SO be careful.. 2.1 should fix this.. I hope..

friedman@porthos.rutgers.edu (Gadi ) (10/05/88)

In article <8810031936.AA05886@crash.cts.com> mdavis@pro-sol.cts.COM (Morgan Davis) writes:

> Joe Craparotta writes:
>
> > Come on Brad... Comparing a ][ (any one of them) to a Mac or Amiga is a
> > little ridiculous.. As for AE Pro.. It CANT'T compare with Proterm.. I
> > don't know of anyone who EVER got its supposed emulation to work.
>
> You probably don't know anyone who actually *owns* AE Pro; someone with a
> manual.  Nevertheless, AE Pro has not been awarded A+ Magazine's Reader's
> Choice award three years in a row for "supposed emulation that doesn't work."
> It works.

Oh I don't know about that.  Ever try the H19 emulation.  I could not
go into Insert mode, which made it useless for EMACS.  I admit the
others worked fine.  I still use SOFTERM II, which is the best
terminal emulator around.  It has the fastest scrolling routines,
and does not lose chars at 9600bps.  It will not run off a Hard Disk
though, so I have to keep a floppy around to boot it.  But its great
if all you need is a terminal.

> --Morgan Davis
>   United Software Industries, Inc.

                 Gadi
--

uucp:   {ames, cbosgd, harvard, moss}!rutgers!aramis.rutgers.edu!friedman
arpa:   FRIEDMAN@ARAMIS.RUTGERS.EDU

bfox@WHEATIES.AI.MIT.EDU (Brian Fox) (10/05/88)

In the past I have complained that this list needed moderating.  At that time
I gave examples.  I was told that due to the large amount of traffic on the
net and the limited time of Brint Cooper, moderation was impossible.  This I
can believe, and actually have no problem with.  Since there are occasional
interesting items posted to this list, I have not asked to be removed.  I am
now asking for something else.  If a person posts junk to this list, they
might be asked to stop.  If they do not stop, they might be removed?

Calling someone else stupid, or complaining that they do not have a legitimate
brain is not the appropriate material for info-apple@brl.mil.  Maybe we could
start another list, called info-apple-flame@brl.mil.  That would solve the
problem for me.  Please do not place me on such a list.

PS: All those in favor of removing undesirable persons please send mail to
info-apple-request, since that way only the moderator will know who you are.

One last comment directly to Joe:  Is it even remotely possible that your Vax
isn't using the right description for a vt100?  Or perhaps your Vax is running
the older software, which expects a certain version of vt100, one with special
graphic commands.  At any rate, how many systems did you test the emulation on
before you began flaming?

If you are just going to call me stupid for asking those question, please
don't bother sending me mail.

   Date: Wed, 5 Oct 88 05:28:10 PDT
   From: Physical T5--Virtual T7 <craparotta%kyoa.DEC@decwrl.dec.com>

akc@mace.cc.purdue.edu (Bruce Cox) (10/05/88)

>> Come on Brad... Comparing a ][ (any one of them) to a Mac or Amiga is a
>> little ridiculous.. As for AE Pro.. It CANT'T compare with Proterm.. I
>> don't know of anyone who EVER got its supposed emulation to work.
>
>You probably don't know anyone who actually *owns* AE Pro; someone with a
>manual.  Nevertheless, AE Pro has not been awarded A+ Magazine's Reader's
>Choice award three years in a row for "supposed emulation that doesn't work."
>It works.

I once owned AE Pro with the manual (of course) and I was very unhappy with
the emulation.  The only one I could find that worked semi-well was the
Adm3a emulation.  And it had it's faults also.

>If any customer of United Software has trouble or questions with a product,
>they can simply call the toll-free customer support number for help.  Anyone
>who needs assistance and doesn't call for support is not using their purchase
>wisely.

I tried this.  They told me to do exactly what I was doing with no success.
I'm not sure how they were testing there emulations, maybe AEPro to AEPro but
they rarely worked connected to a unix machine (with appropriate termcap info)

I'm very happy with ProTERM.  I think it's an excellent term program.  One
of the best for the apple line.  I've only had a few problems with it's
emulation.  I wish it had more features such as the ability to edit the
term emulators.  Overall its still one of the best.

Bruce Cox    UUCP: mentor.cc.purdue.edu!akc   BITNET: clone@purccvm.bitnet

shawn@pnet51.cts.com (Shawn Stanley) (10/07/88)

bfox@WHEATIES.AI.MIT.EDU (Brian Fox) writes:
>In the past I have complained that this list needed moderating.  At that time
>I gave examples.  I was told that due to the large amount of traffic on the
>net and the limited time of Brint Cooper, moderation was impossible.  This I
>can believe, and actually have no problem with.  Since there are occasional
>interesting items posted to this list, I have not asked to be removed.  I am
>now asking for something else.  If a person posts junk to this list, they
>might be asked to stop.  If they do not stop, they might be removed?

I certainly hope it doesn't come to moderation.  I think this sort of thing
can be handled without resorting to that...

UUCP: {rosevax, crash}!orbit!pnet51!shawn
INET: shawn@pnet51.cts.com