[comp.sys.apple] GS Laser driver

delaney@wnre.aecl.CDN (10/04/88)

Does anyone know of a way to print a Laser printer output to a disk file.  I
have access to several postscript printers on an ethernet network but need a
file with the output to be able to print.  I tried loging into a a VAX and
opening a file then printing to the modem port but the routines appear to be
looking for a responce.  ANY suggestions?

Grant

keith@Apple.COM (Keith Rollin) (10/06/88)

In article <2298*delaney@wnre.aecl.cdn> delaney@wnre.aecl.CDN writes:
>Does anyone know of a way to print a Laser printer output to a disk file.  I
>have access to several postscript printers on an ethernet network but need a
>file with the output to be able to print.  I tried loging into a a VAX and
>opening a file then printing to the modem port but the routines appear to be
>looking for a responce.  ANY suggestions?
>
>Grant

Grant,

you can use the same trick that is used on the Macintosh to capture the
Postscript commands into a text file. By holding down CMD-F after clicking
OK in the '# of pages' dialog box, the Postscript commands will be redirected to
a file in the System Folder called GS.POSTSCRIPT.

Keith Rollin                               UUCP:      amdahl\
Developer Technical Support                      pyramid!sun !apple!keith
Apple Computer                                        decwrl/
                                         BITNET: keith%apple.com@relay.cs.net
"You can do what you want to me, but leave my computer alone!"

delaney@wnre.aecl.CDN (10/06/88)

>Does anyone know of a way to print a Laser printer output to a disk file.  I

>>you can use the same trick that is used on the Macintosh to capture the
>>Postscript commands into a text file. By holding down CMD-F after clicking
>>OK in the '# of pages' dialog box, the Postscript commands will be redirected
>>to a file in the System Folder called GS.POSTSCRIPT.

ALMOST RIGHT the file is in:
/DISKNAME/SYSTEM/DRIVERS/POSTSCRIPT.GS

This only works for SYSTEM DISK 3.2 and Higher

A suggestion to all be sure to have lots of space on your disk 1/2 page of text
took 19.5K 39 Block of disk space.  But it does work and very well.  Thanks
KIETH and all the developers at APPLE for continuing to expand our support!

Grant

erast1@cisunx.UUCP (Evan Ron Aussenberg) (10/08/88)

In article <2325*delaney@wnre.aecl.cdn> delaney@wnre.aecl.CDN writes:
>>Does anyone know of a way to print a Laser printer output to a disk file.  I
>
>>>you can use the same trick that is used on the Macintosh to capture the
>>>Postscript commands into a text file. By holding down CMD-F after clicking
						         ~~~
>>>OK in the '# of pages' dialog box, the Postscript commands will be redirected
OK- Someone has to ask, and so I'll do it.  What key is CMD???

						Evan Ron Aussenberg
						erast1@cisunx.UUCP
						erast1@unix.cis.pittsburgh.edu
					<bitnet>erast1@pittvms.BITNET