[comp.sys.apple] Thoughts on //gs/+

jm7e+@ANDREW.CMU.EDU ("Jeremy G. Mereness") (10/02/88)

Chris Bennett writes in article <8809300858.AA00659@crash.cts.com>....

>I have heard on
>EVERY BBS that this topic has been mentioned on: "Try to get a cheap upgrade
>to this year's model of your car and see how far you get... ho ho ho"   Gosh,
>what a clever, witty and compelling arguement.  I'm honestly sick of it.
>But let me make my point;  for IBM the above metaphor might apply.  But the
>entire reason why Apple has such a loyal following is that the metaphor simply
>is not supposed to apply to them.

So true. I agree with this absolutely. Apple should have higher ideals; That's
why most users
stuck with them when the PC came out.

>So, faith almost broken, I shall wait a little longer.  GS/OS has gotten my
>attention but I still haven't lifted my head.  If, within a reasonable period
>of time, I can't be proud of owning an Apple IIgs I shall sell it and get a
>computer that I -can- be proud of.  Seriously, 7mhz will shut me up.

My only word is, the Transwarp GS will come out soon, like November; much
sooner than the GS+. According to reports from Applefest, this device will run
at 7 MHz, and future models will work at 10 MHz. Maybe Third parties will come
to the rescue after all.

I just hope that software writers write software that takes advantage of such
speed. If they do, and the packages are extremely successful, it may push Apple
to speed up the debut of their own fast GS. Remember! When Styleware came out
with a package that would become a software standard (GS Works), Claris bought
the company. And when Laser came out with the 4 MHz 128EX and the Zip Chip
arrived, Apple woke up and made the //c+.

Maybe where griping doesn't work, raising performance standards without Apple's
consent will.

Capt. Albatross
jm7e+@andrew.cmu.edu

============
Apparently hoping in vain  for a  GS+... (*sigh*)
disclaimer: These opinions are mine and will remain so until more intelligent
or insightful or informed people are kind enough to show me the error of my
ways because in the barbecue of life, a mind is a terrible thing to baste.

prw@meccsd.MECC.MN.ORG (Paul R. Wenker) (10/05/88)

In article <gXFPJzy00VA-Qw-kkK@andrew.cmu.edu> jm7e+@ANDREW.CMU.EDU ("Jeremy G. Mereness") writes:

>My only word is, the Transwarp GS will come out soon, like November; much
>sooner than the GS+. According to reports from Applefest, this device will run
>at 7 MHz, and future models will work at 10 MHz. Maybe Third parties will come
>to the rescue after all.
>
>I just hope that software writers write software that takes advantage of such
>speed.

If the Transwarp GS is done right, it will be transparent to any
application.  It's going to be awfully hard to sell an accelerator
that is supported by 3 applications with "more coming real soon now."

-Paul Wenker			prw@meccsd.MECC.MN.ORG
-MECC, Technical Services

jason@lakesys.UUCP (Jason Blochowiak) (10/09/88)

	I'm not an expert on this thing, but as I understand it: The TransWarp
GS (or whatever it's name is/will be) IS transparent to applications. An
editor that I'm working on got taken to AppleFest San Francisco and worked
without any (extra) hitches, and I know I didn't put anything in to
specifically support it.

--

Jason - Not your average iconoclast  |	UUCP: uwvax!uwmcsd1!lakesys!jason
"Draw on the walls, eat, get laid - back in the good old days" - R. Waters