[comp.sys.apple] GS PD source

dmk20395@uxa.cso.uiuc.edu (10/05/88)

Where's a good place to pick up Apple //GS public domain programs, and source
code?  I'm learning to program this puppy and would like lots of examples.
Also, where can I get the documentation on A.C.E. and the other new
toolsets that were just released with GS/OS?

jawaid bazyar
jb10320@uxa.cs.uiuc.edu

keith@Apple.COM (Keith Rollin) (10/07/88)

In article <113300020@uxa.cso.uiuc.edu> dmk20395@uxa.cso.uiuc.edu writes:

>Where's a good place to pick up Apple //GS public domain programs, and source
>code?  I'm learning to program this puppy and would like lots of examples.
>Also, where can I get the documentation on A.C.E. and the other new
>toolsets that were just released with GS/OS?
>
>jawaid bazyar
>jb10320@uxa.cs.uiuc.edu

I *JUST* (read: 5 minutes ago!) got permission to upload a bunch of source
code to the net. This is source code that Apple Developer Technical Support
wrote to demonstrate many simple and advance features of the IIGS ToolBox.
I should be uploading them over the next couple of weeks (there's a LOT of
source code!!!).

Keith Rollin                               UUCP:      amdahl\
Developer Technical Support                      pyramid!sun !apple!keith
Apple Computer                                        decwrl/
                                         BITNET: keith%apple.com@relay.cs.net
"You can do what you want to me, but leave my computer alone!"

gwyn@smoke.ARPA (Doug Gwyn ) (10/07/88)

In article <113300020@uxa.cso.uiuc.edu> dmk20395@uxa.cso.uiuc.edu writes:
>Where's a good place to pick up Apple //GS public domain programs, and source
>code?  I'm learning to program this puppy and would like lots of examples.
>Also, where can I get the documentation on A.C.E. and the other new
>toolsets that were just released with GS/OS?

Two answers:  First, all Apple IIGS programmers are advised to join APDA,
which distributes technical information and developer software.  Second,
freeware and shareware (low-cost but not free) can be found on numerous
Bulletin Board Systems, and also on services such as Genie.  BBSes are
probably more of a risk with respect to picking up viruses.  Genie has
two libraries, one for routine Apple software and one more oriented
toward software developers.  Virtually all freeware/shareware worth
having is available there (much of it also on other services such as
CompuServe or The Source; AppleLink doesn't have much yet).  I don't
want to post commercial info but you should be able to find phone
numbers etc. for these in some computer hobbyist magazine.  The USEnet
comp.binaries.apple newsgroup also receives a lot of freeware/shareware
contributions, and it is archived on some BITNET site (BROWNVM I think).

lwv@n8emr.UUCP (Larry W. Virden) (10/10/88)

I too would be interested in SPECIFIC BBS, etc locations of pd, freeware
SOURCES.  What I have found are pirate boards, binaries, etc.  I dont
want those times of things.  Surely there are a number of boards which
specialize in source code?  I do know that Compuserve MAUG (tm) has quite
a collection of both source and binaries - not as many as I *would like
but more than I have found elsewhere.

--
Larry W. Virden	 75046,606 (CIS)
674 Falls Place, Reynoldsburg, OH 43068 (614) 864-8817