[comp.sys.apple] File- and aux- type usage

keith@Apple.COM (Keith Rollin) (10/10/88)

In article <6230022@hpindda.HP.COM> tribby@hpindda.HP.COM (David Tribby) writes:
>Keith--
>   Here's a suggestion for the GS Toolbox developers: add the ability for
>the "standard file" dialog to discriminate among files with different
>subtypes in addition to types.
>   For example, I'm writing a program to generate music. I need to save
>information to disk on soundwaves, sound envelopes, and instruments. I
>decided to use three different file types (rather than one type with
>three subtypes) so I could use the standard file dialog to read the
>files.
>--Dave Tribby

Dave,

The ability is there, albeit, not easily accessed. You can write a fileFilter
that can determine whether or not a file should be displayed normall, dimmed,
or not at all. However, it would be a great deal easier if we could specify
that in a list. There are some problems that arise with using a list (for
instance, how do you specify that you don't care what the auxtype is), but
with the new scheme for using auxtypes (see the article I poseted about 3 days
ago), such an ability would need to be easily implemented. I'll pass it on.

Keith Rollin                               UUCP:      amdahl\
Developer Technical Support                      pyramid!sun !apple!keith
Apple Computer                                        decwrl/
                                         BITNET: keith%apple.com@relay.cs.net
"You can do what you want to me, but leave my computer alone!"