[comp.sys.apple] ProDOS filetypes

TMPLee@DOCKMASTER.ARPA (10/04/88)

a) does anyone have a "complete" list of ProDos-GS/OS file types?  (I
say "complete" in quotes because the list obviously changes with time
and I'm sure developers grab file types for themselves without
registering them.)

b) what is the "aux" file type field used for adn does it have any
defined values?

TMPLee@Dockmaster.arpa

matthew@sunpix.UUCP ( Sun NCAA) (10/07/88)

In article <881004130741.398681@DOCKMASTER.ARPA>, TMPLee@DOCKMASTER.ARPA writes:
> a) does anyone have a "complete" list of ProDos-GS/OS file types?  (I
> say "complete" in quotes because the list obviously changes with time
> and I'm sure developers grab file types for themselves without
> registering them.)

The most complete listing I've seen recently was published in Computer Shopper
(actual issue unknown, but definatly pre May-88).  When I can get around to
typing it in I'll post it.

> b) what is the "aux" file type field used for and does it have any
> defined values?

The aux field is filetype dependent.  It contains flags or values that are used
by applications to signal special handling or processing. The ORCA/M assembler
uses the aux field to identify the SRC files by compiler/assembler type.
It would take a bit more research to come up with a aux_field definition for
each filetype. A quick look at 'Beneath Apple ProDOS' by Don Wirth and Pieter
Lechner show these aux fields defined by Apple:

TXT	Random  access record length (the 'L' value from OPEN)
BIN	Load address for the binary image (the  'A' value from BSAVE)
BAS	Load address for the program image (when SAVE'd)
VAR	Address of compressed variables image (when STORE'd)
SYS	Load address for system program (usually $2000)

I hope this gets you pointed in the right direction.

--
Matthew Lee Stier     (919) 469-8300|
Sun Microsystems ---  RTP, NC  27560|          "Wisconsin   Escapee"

shawn@pnet51.cts.com (Shawn Stanley) (10/07/88)

TMPLee@DOCKMASTER.ARPA writes:
>a) does anyone have a "complete" list of ProDos-GS/OS file types?  (I
>say "complete" in quotes because the list obviously changes with time
>and I'm sure developers grab file types for themselves without
>registering them.)

Check out some of the newer manuals for a list of the types.  Or, I could
locate such a list in my GS/OS manual and make it available to you.  As far
as unregistered developer filetypes go, that's a bizarre question (to me).
What are you up to?  Heh...

>b) what is the "aux" file type field used for adn does it have any
>defined values?

The aux field is used for different things with different file types.
Binary files have the starting (load) address stored here, for example.

UUCP: {rosevax, crash}!orbit!pnet51!shawn
INET: shawn@pnet51.cts.com

matthew@sunpix.UUCP ( Sun NCAA) (10/11/88)

These were asked for, and here they are. Copied from the article 'ProDOS File
Types' by Philip Chien. Published in the March 1988 issue of 'Computer Shopper'.

ProDOS Filetypes

Num	Name	OS	Meaning
$00			typeless
$01	BAD	both	BAD blocks file
$02	PCD	SOS	Pascal CoDe file
$03	PTX	SOS	Pascal TeXt file
$04	TXT	both	ASCII text file
$05	PDA	SOS	Pascal DAta file
$06	BIN	both	BINary file
$07	CHR	SOS	CHaRacter font file
$08	PIC	both	PICture file
$09	BA3	SOS	Business BASIC (SOS) program file
$0A	DA3	SOS	Business BASIC (SOS) data file
$0B	WPD	SOS	Word Processor Document
$0C		SOS	SOS system file
$0D		SOS	SOS reserved file type
$0E		SOS	SOS reserved file type
$0F	DIR	Both	subDIRectory file
$10	RPD	SOS	RPS data file
$11	RPI	SOS	RPS index file
$12		SOS	Applefile diskcard file
$13		SOS	Applefile model file
$14		SOS	Applefile report format file
$15		SOS	Screen library file
$16		SOS	SOS reserved file type
$17		SOS	SOS reserved file type
$18		SOS	SOS reserved file type
$19	ADB	ProDOS	AppleWorks Database file
$1A	AWP	ProDOS	AppleWorks WordProcessing file
$1B	ASP	ProDOS	AppleWorks Spreadsheet file
$1C-$5F			Reserved
$60-$6F		ProDOS	PC Transporter (Applied Engineering) reserved filetypes
 $60	PRE	ProDOS	ProDOS preboot driver
 $61-$6A	ProDOS	Reserved
 $6B	NIO	ProDOS	PC Transporter BIOS and drivers
 $6C		ProDOS	Reserved
 $6D	DVR	ProDOS	PC Transporter device drivers
 $6E		ProDOS	Reserved
 $6F	HDV	ProDOS	MSDOS HardDisk Volume
$70-$9F			Reserved
$A0	WPF	ProDOS	WordPerfect document file
$A1	MAC	ProDOS	Macrofile
$A2	HLP	ProDOS	Help File
$A3	DAT	ProDOS	Data File
$A4			Reserved
$A5	LEX	ProDOS	Spelling dictionary
$A6-$AB			Reserved
$AC	ARC	ProDOS	General Purpose Archive file
$AD-$AF			Reserved
$B0	SRC	ProDOS	ORCA/M & APW source file
$B1	OBJ	ProDOS	ORCA/M & APW object file
$B2	LIB	ProDOS	ORCA/M & APW library file
$B3	S16	ProDOS	ProDOS16 system file
$B4	RTL	ProDOS	ProDOS16 runtime library
$B5	EXE	ProDOS	APW shell command file
$B6	STR	ProDOS	ProDOS16 startup init file
$B7	TSF	ProDOS	ProDOS16 temporary init file
$B8	NDA	ProDOS	ProDOS16 new desk accessory
$B9	CDA	ProDOS	ProDOS16 classic desk accessory
$BA	TOL	ProDOS	ProDOS16 toolset file
$BB	DRV	ProDOS	ProDOS16 driver file
$BC-$BE			Reserved for ProDOS16 load file
$BF	DOC	ProDOS	document file
$C0	PNT	ProDOS	//gs paint document
$C1	SCR	ProDOS	//gs screen file
$C2-$C7			Reserved
$C8	FNT	ProDOS	Printer font file
$C9		ProDOS	finder files
$CA		ProDOS	finder icons
$CB-$DF			Reserved
$E0	LBR	ProDOS	Apple archive library file
$E1			Unknown (unlisted)
$E2	ATI	ProDOS	Appletalk init file
$E3-$EE			Reserved
$EF	PAS	ProDOS	ProDOS Pascal file
$F0	CMD	ProDOS	added command file
$F1-$F8		ProDOS	User defined filetypes (popular ones include:)
 $F1	OVL	ProDOS	Overlay file
 $F2	DBF	ProDOS	Database file
 $F3	PAD	ProDOS	MouseWrite file
 $F4	MCR	ProDOS	AE Pro macro file
 $F5	ECP	ProDOS	ECP batch file
 $F6	DSC	ProDOS	description file
 $F7	TMP	ProDOS	temporary work file
 $F8	RSX	ProDOS	linkable object module
$F9	IMG	ProDOS	ProDOS image file
$FA	INT	ProDOS	Integer BASIC program
$FB	IVR	ProDOS	Integer BASIC variables file
$FC	BAS	ProDOS	AppleSoft BASIC program
$FD	VAR	ProDOS	AppleSoft BASIC variables file
$FE	REL	ProDOS	ProDOS EDASM relocatable object module file
$FF	SYS	ProDOS	ProDOS8 system file