[comp.sys.apple] apple II gif files and Kermit

mark@UNTVAX.BITNET (10/10/88)

Hello all.

        I own an unenhanced IIe with a simple composite monitor.  Is the
GIF reader called GIF on BrownVM the one I need tdisplay the files on my
computer?  If so, are there any Apple specific GIF files out there (anywhere)
and what do I need to do to them?  As far as I know, GIF files are just
compresed data in the form of a text file.

        Also, I have Kermit 3.84 and it will not work on my machine without
dropping characters.  I have a 65C02 in my Apple, but do not have the full
enhancement.  Also have a Apple Super Serial Card and Packard Bell PB2400plus
external modriend has told me, Kermit uses the enhanced video roms and that
would explain part of my problem.  So, is there a Kermit that will work
with the unenhanced IIe AND offer VT100?  I already use ATP and love its
emulation, but I need Kermit capabilities.  Thanks in advance....

Mark Thacker

Mark Thacker                  Bitnet : MARK@UNTVAX or AC48@UNTVAX
Graphics Lab Consultant       THENET : NTVAXB::MARK  or NTVAXB::AC48
(and student of CSCI at)    Internet : MARK%ntvaxb.decnet@utadnx.cc.utexas.edu
The University of North Texas   SPAN : UTSPAN::UTADNX::NTVAXB::MARK

gwyn@smoke.ARPA (Doug Gwyn ) (10/10/88)

In article <8810100100.aa29017@SMOKE.BRL.MIL> mark@UNTVAX.BITNET writes:
>are there any Apple specific GIF files out there?

The whole point of GIF format is that it is system-independent.
One problem with displaying a GIF file from a system that acts
like a real frame buffer on an Apple II is that the GIF file
can specify far more colors than the Apple can display, so some
choice of how to map into the Apple colors has to be made.

The various IIGIF programs work, but I prefer SHRCONVERT on the IIGS.

>        I own an unenhanced IIe with a simple composite monitor.
>
>        Also, I have Kermit 3.84 and it will not work on my machine without
>dropping characters.  I have a 65C02 in my Apple, but do not have the full
>enhancement.  Also have a Apple Super Serial Card and Packard Bell PB2400plus
>external modriend has told me, Kermit uses the enhanced video roms and that
>would explain part of my problem.  So, is there a Kermit that will work
>with the unenhanced IIe AND offer VT100?

Kermit 3.84 works on MY unenhanced //e with a Super Serial Card (and
SET FLOW XON) without dropping characters.  There is a well known glitch
in the unenhanced //e ROM that causes some character loss even with
SSC interrupts enabled.  I haven't seen a mainframe host that doesn't
support XON/XOFF.  HOWEVER, I understand that XON/XOFF flow control won't
avoid the problem with some UNIX editors.  Maybe someone knows whether
you can add the enhanced ROM and leave out the "mousetext" chip and solve
the problem (which I think will give you a "fix" without making your
//e incompatible with some pre-mousetext software - otherwise, why not
enhance?).

                                     [The Far Side shall return (I hope)]
Murph Sewall     Sewall@UCONNVM.BITNET
Business School  sewall%uconnvm.bitnet@mitvma.mit.edu          [INTERNET]
U of Connecticut {rutgers psuvax1 ucbvax & in Europe - mcvax}
                 !UCONNVM.BITNET!SEWALL                        [UUCP]

-+- My employer isn't responsible for my mistakes AND vice-versa!

"Close enough for government work" - source unknown (naturally ;-)