[comp.sys.apple] Suggestions for improving a //c system

ct@mit-caf.MIT.EDU (Curtis Tsai) (09/27/88)

After reading this newsgroup for a while, I've noticed that many of
you have made additions to your hardware, improving the performance of
your system.  I'm beginning to experience some limitations with my
system and would like suggestions from those who have made
enhancements.

My system consists of a Apple //c with and external 5.25" drive and a
9" monochrome monitor.  I primarily use the system as a terminal to a
VAX, but I often edit files locally with AMACS and use Kermit for file
transfers.

Some of the additions that I'm interested are listed below, but feel
free to add to the list.  Information about performance, compatibility
with software, and approximate cost would be most appreciated.

1.  Hard disks--Since the 5.25" floppies only hold 140K, I get tired
of searching through a countless number of disks for the files that I
want.  Or should I settle for a 3.5" Unidisk?

2.  More RAM--I heard of putting more memory into the //c.  Is the
memory only useful as a large RAM disk?

3.  Faster CPU--The Zip Chip and other replacements microprocessors
sound wonderful.  Do these chips have hardware and software
compatibility problems that I should be aware of?

4.  Clocks--I heard of the No Slot Clock, what exactly is it?  It
would be nice to have a non-volatile clock.

Please email responses to me (if you can, otherwise post) and I will
post a summary of responses.

Thanks for reading,

Curtis Tsai	ARPA:	ct@caf.mit.edu	18.0.62.232
		Usenet:	{ihnp4,harvard,seismo,rutgers}!mit-eddie!mit-caf!ct

jetzer@studsys.mu.edu (jetzer) (09/27/88)

In article <1367@mit-caf.MIT.EDU>, ct@mit-caf.MIT.EDU (Curtis Tsai) writes:

> 3.  Faster CPU--The Zip Chip and other replacements microprocessors
> sound wonderful.  Do these chips have hardware and software
> compatibility problems that I should be aware of?

I have not encountered any hardware or software problems with my Zip Chip.
(The only hardware I have that is not standard is an Alaska card, one of those
'copy cards.'  About all I use it for is the 'jump to monitor' and 'print
text screen' options.  The Zip Chip must be disabled [simply by typing ctrl-
reset and then esc] for this card to work properly.)

The Zip Chip works as advertised, and it's wonderful.  I used to wish my //e
would work as fast as the GS I used at work; now I wonder why the GS is so
sluggish!

Before you order, you might want to call the company and see what kind of wait
you should expect.  I ordered mine last October, two days after I saw the
first ad for it.  It took 9 months and 11 days to ship.  But they claim to
have the supply problem solved.
--
Mike Jetzer
"Hack first, ask questions later."

phag720@ut-emx.UUCP (Larry K. Smith) (10/12/88)

I would like to buy an 80-col card for my Apple ][+, as cheaply as possible.
Thanks.
Please reply via BITNET.
Larry Smith      LARRY@UTAPHY