[comp.sys.apple] Rocket and Zip Chip Question

dnelson@umbio.MIAMI.EDU (Dru Nelson) (10/10/88)

Can anybody tell me what kind of chip the rocket or zip chip are?
What process was used to create these chips?
Who is the real group behind both of these chips(or person, as rumors
describe)?

Any answers to these questions would be extremely helpful!

Thank you.

--
Dru Nelson                    UUCP: ....!uunet!gould!umbio!dnelson
Miami, Florida                 MCI: dnelson

bsherm@umbio.MIAMI.EDU (Bob Sherman) (10/10/88)

in article <740@umbio.MIAMI.EDU>, dnelson@umbio.MIAMI.EDU (Dru Nelson) says:

7m
> Can anybody tell me what kind of chip the rocket or zip chip are?
> What process was used to create these chips?
7m
13;1H
23;69H6
7m
> Who is the real group behind both of these chips(or person, as rumors
> describe)?
>
> Any answers to these questions would be extremely helpful!

The "brain" behind both of those chips is a young man that I recently
met at an Applefest party named David Hewitson. He is currently in the
employ of Bits & Pieces Technology..
7m
If you wish to see what a Zip chip looks like, you know how to reach me,
give me a call, and I'll show it to you..

--
  Internet  -- bsherm%umbio@umigw.miami.edu
  UUCP      -- {uunet!gould}!umbio!bsherm

david@jc3b21.UUCP (David Quarles) (10/11/88)

From article <740@umbio.MIAMI.EDU>, by dnelson@umbio.MIAMI.EDU (Dru Nelson):
> Can anybody tell me what kind of chip the rocket or zip chip are?
> What process was used to create these chips?
> Who is the real group behind both of these chips(or person, as rumors
> describe)?
>
> Any answers to these questions would be extremely helpful!
>
> Thank you.

I would like to second the question.  In fact, I have asked if anyone has
either of these chips and how they're doing ??  I have not seen much
(any) advertising for the ROCKETCHIP !!

Does anyone know how much they are and where they can be purchased ??

						Dave Quarles

tmetro@LYNX.NORTHEASTERN.EDU (10/14/88)

pnet01!crash!handies.ucar.edu!umigw!umbio!bsherm (Bob Sherman) writes:
> in article <740@umbio.MIAMI.EDU>, dnelson@umbio.MIAMI.EDU (Dru Nelson) says:
> > Can anybody tell me what kind of chip the rocket or zip chip are?
> > What process was used to create these chips?
> > Who is the real group behind both of these chips(or person, as rumors
> > describe)?
> > Any answers to these questions would be extremely helpful!
> The "brain" behind both of those chips is a young man that I recently
> met at an Applefest party named David Hewitson. He is currently in the
> employ of Bits & Pieces Technology..

From my understanding the Zip Chip and the Rocket chip are two competing
products. The Rocket Chip is a Bits & Pieces product. From my conversation
with an engineer at WDC (Western Design Center) the Rocket Chip uses a WDC
W65C02 core CPU in addition to fast (static) cache RAM and cache control logic
all in one package. The Zip Chip uses similar technology but I don't know the
details.

| INET: tmetro@pro-angmar.uucp              --/\/\_| |_| '- DigiTell, Inc. |
| ARPA: crash!pnet01!pro-angmar!tmetro@nosc.mil             Newton, MA     |
| UUCP: [sdcsvax nosc]!crash!pnet01!pro%angmar!tmetro                      |
|_Alternate: tmetro@lynx.northeastern.edu__________________________________|