[comp.sys.apple] Apple 3.5 drives

akc@mace.cc.purdue.edu (Bruce Cox) (10/01/88)

Has anyone else experienced this problem?  I own one of the platinum 3.5
drives.  It's approximately one year old and the ejection motor that
pops the disk out has conked out on me.  It's not the front switch because
the software control also fails to eject the disk.  I know of at least
3 other platinum drives in this area that this has also happened to.

I took the drive into my local dealer and all he said he could do was
to replace the entire inside of the drive for $200.  That didn't settle
well with me since the drive works perfectly except for ejecting disks.
How difficult would it be to just replace the ejection motor?

Bruce Cox
UUCP: mentor.cc.purdue.edu!akc
BITNET: clone@purccvm.bitnet

rfischer@skat.usc.edu (Roger Fischer) (10/02/88)

Sorry to let you know, but replacing the entire drive is all that you will
ever get no matter where you go and what the problem is.  200 is a little
steep though,  A more standard price would be about 100 for the drive and
about 60 for the labor.  The reason for this is that apple won't sell parts
for the drives, they just exchange the entire sony drive.  This is actually
cheaper than having the part on the drive replaced, because then the labor
costs would go through the roof.  If you look around, you might find a
non-authorized dealer who would just replace the motor for less, but you
should be weary of the quality of work, or his warranty policy.
	You'll find that items like drives and keyboards are (usually)
cheaper to replace than fix, since the cost of labor is high.  If you know
what you are doing, it is much cheaper to do the work yourself.  On the
other hand, if you don't know what you are doing, and you screw up the
part you are working on, the Service Outlet won't be able to exchange the
part with Apple, and you will have to pay the full price instead of the
exchange price.

Roger
rfischer@skat.usc.edu

halp@TCGOULD.TN.CORNELL.EDU ("Bruce P. Halpern") (10/02/88)

Don't lay out $200 for a new platinum Apple 3.5 800K external drive. The
Cutting Edge 800K external drive  can be bought for about $179 from
several vendors. It should work o.k with //gs and PC Transporter (it's
marketed for Mac thru SE). It *WON'T** work with a //e or //c (and I
suppose not with a //c+, but perhaps . . . . Interesting question. Is
the appropriate external 3.5 drive for a //c+ the Unidisk 3.5 or the
platinum Apple 3.5?)

One vendor is MacWarehouse, at 1-800-255-6227. Their i.d. number for the
drive is DRI 0042. Their number works 0800-2300, M-F; 0800-2000, S (Eastern
Time [is there really any other?].

****DISCLAMER: My comments, etc., are my own shakey opinions ********

  |  Bruce P. Halpern  Psychology & Neurobiology & Behavior Cornell Ithaca    |
  |  INTERNET:halp@tcgould.tn.cornell.edu  BITNET:D57J@CORNELLA  D57J@CRNLVAX5|
  |  UUCP:{vax135,rochester,decvax}!cornell!batcomputer!halp                  |
  |  PHONE: 607-255-6433    Uris Hall, Cornell U., Ithaca, NY 14853-7601      |

kamath@reed.UUCP (Sean Kamath) (10/06/88)

In article <12516@oberon.USC.EDU> rfischer@skat.usc.edu (Roger Fischer) writes:
>Sorry to let you know, but replacing the entire drive is all that you will
>ever get no matter where you go and what the problem is.  200 is a little
>steep though,  A more standard price would be about 100 for the drive and
>about 60 for the labor.
>Roger
>rfischer@skat.usc.edu

Ah, yes, it's sad but true.

Another little nugget of information to sprout forth from my glowing
fingertips:

Pro-Owned Electronics specializes in Apple parts.  Interrestingly enough,
they sell an internal 800K drive for $215.

Two pages back (roughly), another company is selling external mac disk
drives (800K) for $175. . .

So, save yourself $35 and get a free cable and case!

In case anyone out there is wondering, the drive mech's for all 800K drives
sold by apple are basically the same.  This includes the 800K mac, Unidisk
and Apple 3.5 incher.  A small amount of recabling in necessary for the
unidisk, since it has a 6502 in the drive itself.

In any case, $200 for a repair is rediculous.  You *really* can do this
yourself.  It is just about the simplest swap there is.  *mucH* easier than
swapping the 5.25 inch disks.

Sean Kamath

--
UUCP:  {decvax allegra ucbcad ucbvax hplabs ihnp4}!tektronix!reed!kamath
CSNET: reed!kamath@Tektronix.CSNET  ||  BITNET: kamath@reed.BITNET

c60c-3aw@web-3d.berkeley.edu (Andy McFadden) (10/07/88)

If you do get a clone 3.5 drive, MAKE SURE it plugs into the IWM port, not
onto a card.  Otherwise you will lose compatiblity with a lot of things.
Take it from someone who knows...

You should also examine such things as speed (can I do a GS/OS 2:1 interleave),
etc.  Make sure it does everything it should.

Note that this is somewhat less important for a second drive, which would
likely be used for storing data.

Keith: Are these sources C, Assembler, Pascal, GS BASIC, or what?  The logical
place to put them is comp.binaries.apple2, but I'm not sure if everyone can
reach that.

And while I'm here: there is a Usenet tradition to change the "Followup-To:"
line in the message header to "alt.flame" or "poster" when posting flames.

fadden@zen.berkeley.edu [crashed]
c60c-3aw@widow.berkeley.edu (Andy McFadden)

keith@Apple.COM (Keith Rollin) (10/08/88)

In article <15099@agate.BERKELEY.EDU> c60c-3aw@web-3d.berkeley.edu (Andy McFadden) writes:
>Keith: Are these sources C, Assembler, Pascal, GS BASIC, or what?  The logical
>place to put them is comp.binaries.apple2, but I'm not sure if everyone can
>reach that.

Andy,

There are 13 programs altogether. Of them, 2 are in C: a shell program, and a
text file lister that serves as a utility and a sample of the Print Manager.
All the rest are in assembly. This is for a several reasons: 1) the assember is
*MUCH* faster than the C compiler; 2) the code generated by the C compiler is
not very compact; 3) some of the programs would be more difficult or impossible
to do in other languages (like custom windows in GS BASIC); 4) Apple only has
an assember and a C - we couldn't do them in Pascal without endorsing a 3rd
party product - so that leaves C and assembly; 5) Neither Jim or I particularly
like C, and we were only 2 programmers on this project.

Since I am distributing source code, I was looking for comp.sources.apple, but
if there isn't one, I was going to post to comp.binaries.apple. I'll let you
all know what I do as soon as I do it.

Keith Rollin                               UUCP:      amdahl\
Developer Technical Support                      pyramid!sun !apple!keith
Apple Computer                                        decwrl/
                                         BITNET: keith%apple.com@relay.cs.net
"You can do what you want to me, but leave my computer alone!"

halp@TCGOULD.TN.CORNELL.EDU ("Bruce P. Halpern") (10/12/88)

Daisy-chaining 3.5 drives.

The Apple Unidisk 3.5 (for //c, //c+, and //e) and the Apple 3.5
Drive (for //gs and PC Transporter)  ****DO***** have a daisy-chain port in
the back. On a //gs, the daisy-chained drive can be another 3.5 drive, a
Unidisk 3.5, an Apple 5.25 drive, or a Unidisk or DuoDisk (5.25). A total
of 4 drives can be daisy-chained on a //gs [3.5 drives are not daisy-chained
on a Macintosh]. Thus, while the Cutting Edge 3.5 drive at $175 will save
about $150 off Apple list, it greatly limits drive flexibility for the
//gs owner [no problem for the Mac owner].

****DISCLAMER: My comments, etc., are my own shakey opinions ********

  |  Bruce P. Halpern  Psychology & Neurobiology & Behavior Cornell Ithaca    |
  |  INTERNET:halp@tcgould.tn.cornell.edu  BITNET:D57J@CORNELLA  D57J@CRNLVAX5|
  |  UUCP:{vax135,rochester,decvax}!cornell!batcomputer!halp                  |
  |  PHONE: 607-255-6433    Uris Hall, Cornell U., Ithaca, NY 14853-7601      |

mw22+@andrew.cmu.edu (Michael Alan Wertheim) (10/14/88)

Can the Cutting Edge drive be used on a //c?

Michael Wertheim
Carnegie Mellon University
Pittsburgh, PA

Arpa: mw22@andrew.cmu.edu
Bitnet: mw22%andrew@cmccvb

dougm@nucleus.UUCP (Doug McIntyre) (10/20/88)

Has any one at apple considered making a big* prodos file system?
This would be using gs/os limits on sizes and so forth.
for example, using the long data size for block numbers for an access size of
the drive at 4GB, and having filetype a word long, having longer file names,
and upper/lower case, more rubust symbols in file names, and so forth.
I notice that there isn't any fst id number that corresponds to future
expansion of prodos, but you probably could take something like dos 3.1 off the
list of fst id numbers (after all I doubt that a dos 3.1 fst is going to be
written.)  This could be done fairly rapidly, as you have at least 90% - 95% of
the prodos file system already completed, and you would just have to expand
directory entries, and so forth.  I don't have many objections to the prodos fs
besides the ones I suggested to change above..
like gs/os a lot though..