[comp.sys.apple] Modem MGR

cssu@cdfc.utoronto ("Comp. Sci. Student Union") (12/18/86)

Does anyone know much about this program?  I think someone mentioned it
on here...

--Tak Ariga

UUCP:       {utzoo, decvax, ihnp4, cbosgd, utcsri, mnetor}!utcs!utcdfc!cssu
ARPAnet:    cssu%cdfc.toronto.edu@csnet-relay.arpa
CSnet:      cssu%cdfc.toronto.edu@csnet-relay.csnet

              University of Toronto -- Toronto, Canada

forde@EGLIN-VAX.ARPA (12/19/86)

I mentioned Modem MGR in an earlier and saw a request for more info about
tonight.  I don't have a copy of the program yet, but I have seen it in oper-
ation and had a chance to look through the docs.  It compares very well with
Ascii Express Pro in all aspects.  In its favor are better terminal emulation
capability (supposedly does the VT-100), clock card support, and simpler macro
implementation.  On the down side, for file transfers you must specify file
type (BAS, BIN, etc) unlike AE Pro where you only need to specify transfer
mode (protocol or standard).  The price is reasonable - $49.00 compared to
$79.00 for AE Pro.  This is doubly good since the Modem MGR package includes
both Prodos and Dos 3.3 versions.  The documentation is quite substantial and
yet easy to read.  I will attempt to get a closer look at it after the
holidays and give a more indepth review.  The three people I know who have it
all swear by it and they were previous Ae Pro users.

Eric S. Ford
FORDE@EGLIN-VAX.ARPA
------

kamath@reed.UUCP (Sean Kamath) (12/20/86)

In article <8612182110.aa04250@SPARK.BRL.ARPA> forde@eglin-vax.arpa writes:
>I mentioned Modem MGR in an earlier and saw a request for more info about
>tonight.  I don't have a copy of the program yet, but I have seen it in oper-
>ation and had a chance to look through the docs.  It compares very well with
>Ascii Express Pro in all aspects.  In its favor are better terminal emulation
>capability (supposedly does the VT-100), clock card support, and simpler macro
                          Huh? --^^^^^^
>implementation.  On the down side, for file transfers you must specify file
>type (BAS, BIN, etc) unlike AE Pro where you only need to specify transfer
>mode (protocol or standard).  The price is reasonable - $49.00 compared to
>$79.00 for AE Pro.  This is doubly good since the Modem MGR package includes
>both Prodos and Dos 3.3 versions.  The documentation is quite substantial and
>yet easy to read.  I will attempt to get a closer look at it after the
>holidays and give a more indepth review.  The three people I know who have it
>all swear by it and they were previous Ae Pro users.
>
>Eric S. Ford
>FORDE@EGLIN-VAX.ARPA
>------

Well, I just thought that I might say a word about it.  I bought it, and
I like it.  About the vt100 emulation, I'm afraid that that is vt52.  No
scrolling regions (why why why?).  I guess I've gotten spoiled using the
vt220, but hay...

ANyway, the program supports over 29 serial cards and 10 modems. The
modem driver and screen driver are quite nice.  I haven't had any
problems with it at all.  it has a heap of commands (though you might
have to change the terminal escape key to somethig other than ESC (you
CAN get ESC by hitting it twice)), well over a hundred pages of docs,
"six" disks (three physical, six sides) a full screen editor, macro
script files and "function" keys (that are more like key macros), file
transfer (which you don't have to specify Applesoft, Integer, Binary or
Text type if you are talking to another MGR program.  This is just about
the same as ascii express (at last the version I used), with the big
execption that with ascii express that was the only choice for xmodem
and it played havoc with my unix xmodem program (which, admittedly, was
a simple hack), whereas with MGR I can specify straight xmodem.  It can
answer the phone, use the apple-cat in 202 mode, uses carrier control
and can support a lot of printers.  It has a terminal emulation builder,
so you can customize it very easily, and comes with emulation files for
the vt52, soroc, adm3-a, ibm3101, televideo(912 I think) dg d2000 and
adds regent.  I am in the process of building a new emulation file and
termcap to do modified vt52 work, much like I did with ascii express.

On the down side, it can be a bother to have to swap disks to
reconfigure the terminal (for major changes) and also, on the dos 3.3
disks, he uses a special set of tracks to hold the terminal, editor and
file transfer code.  this means you must use the disk (no hard disk
or RAMdisk).  I also coudld't get it to work with diversi dos.  THe
prodos version doesn't have this problem and can use the /RAM volumn.  I
wonder how hard it would be to modify it?. . .

Sean Kamath

kamath@reed.UUCP

(This is so long I'll leave out the 15 line .signature

P.S. to forde:  I tried to send you a note about MGR but it bounced
back.  now I don' have to!

iadt3tb@gitpyr.gatech.EDU (T. Terrell Banks) (12/22/86)

M.article <8612182110.aa04250@SPARK.BRL.ARPA> forde@eglin-vax.arpa writes:
>I mentioned Modem MGR in an earlier and saw a request for more info about
>tonight.  I don't have a copy of the program yet, but I have seen it in oper-
>ation and had a chance to look through the docs.  It compares very well with
>capability (supposedly does the VT-100), clock card support, and simpler macro
>implementation.  On the down side, for file transfers you must specify file
>type (BAS, BIN, etc) unlike AE Pro where you only need to specify transfer
>
>Eric S. Ford
>FORDE@EGLIN-VAX.ARPA
>------

Does it work on a Apple][ + with 80-col card using upper and lower case?
The machine has a "shift-mod" installed, if that would matter?

                                      Thanks,
                                            Terry Banks

T. Terrell Banks
Georgia Insitute of Technology
Information Systems and Applications
190 Third Street NW
Atlanta Georgia, 30332

Internet: iadt3tb@pyr.gatech.edu
    uucp: ...!{akgua,ihnp4,hplabs,seismo}!gatech!gitpyr!iadt3tb
  Bitnet: iadt3tb@gitvm1

SASQUATCH@ALBION.BITNET (10/20/88)

Does anyone know anything about Modem MGR?  The add claims that it can do
VT220 emulation, and interested in that.

I know someone posted that Z-link could do VT220, but the copy I downloaded
from apple2-l didn't have vt220 as an emulation option.

Thanks in advance

Kevin Lepard
Bitnet:  Sasquatch@albion.bitnet
Disclaimer: You must be mistaken.