[comp.sys.apple] Apple//GS Finder behavior

joseph@elbereth.rutgers.edu (Seymour Joseph) (10/18/88)

I just received and assembled my Apple ][GS last night.  When I booted
the included system disk (It is called version 4), loaded GS/OS and
the finder I noticed that while the finder was sitting idle, there was
a constant tic, tic, tic sound from the internal speaker.

Later after I added the 5.25" disk driver to the system and rebooted,
I noticed that the "in-use" light on the 5.25" drive would blink on
and off with the ticking.

Is this normal behavior?  Why does the system do this?

Seymour

shawn@pnet51.cts.com (Shawn Stanley) (10/19/88)

joseph@elbereth.rutgers.edu (Seymour Joseph) writes:

>I just received and assembled my Apple ][GS last night.  When I booted
>the included system disk (It is called version 4), loaded GS/OS and
>the finder I noticed that while the finder was sitting idle, there was
>a constant tic, tic, tic sound from the internal speaker.
>
>Later after I added the 5.25" disk driver to the system and rebooted,
>I noticed that the "in-use" light on the 5.25" drive would blink on
>and off with the ticking.
>
>Is this normal behavior?  Why does the system do this?

Are you sure the sound is coming from the speaker?  Hehe... I had been
wondering about the same thing.  When I started up GS/OS with my Unidisk 3.5"
drive, I got that sound every time it checked the drive for a new disk.  When
I had both Unidisk drives hooked up, the sound doubled!  It double-ticks, once
for each Unidisk drive.

When I listened close, it sounded like the sound was coming from the drive
itself, as if the Finder is causing the read/write heads to move every time it
checks the drives.  The sound is kind of annoying and two things come to mind
when I put up with it for a time:

1) I should run an application quick to stop the noise.
2) I wish I had Apple 3.5" drives, which send interrupts or somesuch when a
   disk is inserted.

I can't think of any normal reason for the sound.  I don't think it's
reasonable to have to replace my disk drives with Apple 3.5" drives.  I would
like to, but I shouldn't have to, and I don't have the money anyway.

Keith, is this a conspiracy, a bug, or some bizarre feature?  :-)

UUCP: {rosevax, crash}!orbit!pnet51!shawn
INET: shawn@pnet51.cts.com

prw@meccsd.MECC.MN.ORG (Paul R. Wenker) (10/20/88)

joseph@elbereth.rutgers.edu (Seymour Joseph) writes:

>I just received and assembled my Apple ][GS last night.  When I booted
>the included system disk (It is called version 4), loaded GS/OS and
>the finder I noticed that while the finder was sitting idle, there was
>a constant tic, tic, tic sound from the internal speaker.
>
>Later after I added the 5.25" disk driver to the system and rebooted,
>I noticed that the "in-use" light on the 5.25" drive would blink on
>and off with the ticking.
>
>Is this normal behavior?  Why does the system do this?

Finder periodicly makes status calls to every drive to check for
inserted disks.  This usually isn't noticable on AppleDisk 3.5 drives,
but with the UniDisk 3.5 and the 5.25" drives the drive light will
blink noticably.  This is normal behavior for Finder.

-Paul Wenker			prw@meccsd.MECC.MN.ORG
-MECC, Technical Services