[comp.sys.apple] $$$

c60c-3aw@tarantula.berkeley.edu (Andy McFadden) (10/21/88)

In article <Oct.19.17.56.04.1988.27523@elbereth.rutgers.edu> joseph@elbereth.rutgers.edu (Seymour Joseph) writes:

>Activision (now MediaGenic) claims that updates for registered users
>will be coming "in a month or so."  It is the "or so" that worries me.
>Since I own all five of these, if there is a charge levied for the
>upgrade I am going to be quite angry (and poor).

I have to wonder about Activision; for a while they were requiring users to
pay $10 extra for an un-copy protected version of their programs (required
to run them on anything but an Apple drive).

According to an article in the Sunday, Oct 16 San Jose Mercury News:
"President Ken Williams [of Sierra On-Line, which recently went public] said
Sierra was third in sales by public entertainment software companies in
the first half of 1988, with estimated sales of $3 million.  MediaGenic
of Menlo Park was the leader with $13.5 million in sales."

If we ignore Christmas, that should be about $27 million this year.  Media
Genic probably makes more money on updates than Central Point Software...

--
fadden@zen.berkeley.edu [crashed]
c60c-3aw@widow.berkeley.edu (Andy McFadden)