[comp.sys.apple] Various observations

c60c-3aw@web-3d.berkeley.edu (Andy McFadden) (10/10/88)

A couple of odd things...

1) While I'm among the first to praise ProTERM, it does have some rather
   odd bugs.  For instance, I connected my //gs to a Toshiba 1200 (IBM
   compatible) and tried to talk at 19200 baud.  All we got was garbage.  After
   dropping it to 2400 baud, everything worked fine.

   Acting on past experience (explained next), I switched to Z-Link.  Had no
   problems with talking, and an Xmodem transfer worked just fine.

2) When trying to upload software using Ymodem to an IBM BBS, ProTERM had
   problems (errors right off the bat).  Z-Link worked perfectly.  Note that I
   haven't had any problems with ProTERM when talking to other Apple systems,
   but have had problems when uploading files to UNIX (errors on last block, a
   very unpleasant situation after a large transfer).

3) As anybody who reads Open-Apple knows, BASIC.SYSTEM v1.2 has a grand total
   of 24 bytes changed.  Some errors that were mentioned (the TOTENT bug)
   weren't even fixed.  A large number of bugs inherent in BASIC.SYSTEM have,
   as usual, been ignored.

4) My modem (a Zipper 2400, actually a Prometheus ProModem 2400G) doesn't
   return numerical codes after hanging up, so ProTERM never realizes that
   the phone was hung up.  Note that it DOES recognize a busy signal, so it
   probably isn't related to the init string.  Anybody have similar probs?

5) What happened to the GIF files at husc6.harvard.edu?  Last time I looked
   they were gone.

6) Has anybody played "Pirates!" for the GS?  A pretty slick game, with fairly
   nice graphics, animation, etc.  It also happens to be written in Applesoft.

7) I had a 5.25 disk packed with DDD which I wanted to unpack.  Problem is, I
   don't have a 5.25 drive here.  I was very impressed with Digipack GS; not
   only did it unpack the disk to my RAM disk, it fixed the ProDOS disk map
   to reflect the fact that it was 512K.  Too bad DDD Deluxe doesn't support
   this sort of thing.

--
fadden@zen.berkeley.edu [crashed]
c60c-3aw@widow.berkeley.edu (Andy McFadden)

shawn@pnet51.cts.com (Shawn Stanley) (10/12/88)

c60c-3aw@web-3d.berkeley.edu (Andy McFadden) writes:
>1) While I'm among the first to praise ProTERM, it does have some rather
>   odd bugs.  For instance, I connected my //gs to a Toshiba 1200 (IBM
>   compatible) and tried to talk at 19200 baud.  All we got was garbage.  After
>   dropping it to 2400 baud, everything worked fine.
>
>   Acting on past experience (explained next), I switched to Z-Link.  Had no
>   problems with talking, and an Xmodem transfer worked just fine.

It's possible that ProTERM doesn't use interrupts.  Or it doesn't buffer the
data at high speeds.  Whichever; check out your control panel options and
maybe enable buffering yourself.

>4) My modem (a Zipper 2400, actually a Prometheus ProModem 2400G) doesn't
>   return numerical codes after hanging up, so ProTERM never realizes that
>   the phone was hung up.  Note that it DOES recognize a busy signal, so it
>   probably isn't related to the init string.  Anybody have similar probs?

Are you sure you aren't having problems with maybe carrier handshaking?
Or is it when YOU hang up?  In that case, if your DTR isn't enabled when
you receive the status code, chances are you will lose it.  Then again,
maybe it's not either of these...
>c60c-3aw@widow.berkeley.edu (Andy McFadden)

UUCP: {rosevax, crash}!orbit!pnet51!shawn
INET: shawn@pnet51.cts.com

lwv@n8emr.UUCP (Larry W. Virden) (10/12/88)

Does anyone know if Basic.System has been disassembled in any of the newslettes
or magazines?  For isntance, Sandy Mossberg or the fellow who just gave
up on Apple publishing (of newsletters and software) - SCC Assember? and
Apple Assembly lines? - did that sort of thing.  If so, perhaps we can
get a hold of the disassembly, gather all the Basic.System mods ourselfs
from various sources (anyone with access to a GOOD magazine reference
index?) and then fix it up for ourselvs.

Also, anyone know of a 'port' of integer Basic to Prodos?  That and a FST
for DOS 3.3 to GS/OS and a lot more software might become available for
use on the new Apple line (IIc+ and IIgs).  These guys can run the old OS,
but getting the languages to run in the new environments might very well
give the line the shot in the arm that it needs.

--
Larry W. Virden	 75046,606 (CIS)
674 Falls Place, Reynoldsburg, OH 43068 (614) 864-8817

jb10320@uxa.cso.uiuc.edu (10/13/88)

Your modem probably does not have the correct init string sent to it...
Is your modem incapable of returning numeric response codes, or isit just
set up to return response words?  I believe ATV0 is the command to make
the modem return words, and ATV1 returns numerals. Try it out...

jb10320@uxa.cso.uiuc.edu

c60c-3aw@web-3d.berkeley.edu (Andy McFadden) (10/15/88)

In article <165@orbit.UUCP> shawn@pnet51.cts.com (Shawn Stanley) writes:
>>1) While I'm among the first to praise ProTERM, it does have some rather
>>   odd bugs.  For instance, I connected my //gs to a Toshiba 1200 (IBM
>>   compatible) and tried to talk at 19200 baud.  All we got was garbage.  After
>>   dropping it to 2400 baud, everything worked fine.
[...]
>It's possible that ProTERM doesn't use interrupts.  Or it doesn't buffer the
>data at high speeds.  Whichever; check out your control panel options and
>maybe enable buffering yourself.

I do have buffering enabled; it wasn't a buffering problem.  I was trying
just to TYPE a few words; they came up like ProTERM was set to the wrong
baud rate (or wrong data/stop bits setting, which we also checked).

>>4) My modem (a Zipper 2400, actually a Prometheus ProModem 2400G) doesn't
>>   return numerical codes after hanging up, so ProTERM never realizes that
>>   the phone was hung up.  Note that it DOES recognize a busy signal, so it
>>   probably isn't related to the init string.  Anybody have similar probs?
>
>Are you sure you aren't having problems with maybe carrier handshaking?
>Or is it when YOU hang up?  In that case, if your DTR isn't enabled when
>you receive the status code, chances are you will lose it.  Then again,
>maybe it's not either of these...

It prints "NO CARRIER" rather than returning a number.  If I use the ProTERM
H)angup command, it is smart enough to realize that the phone was just hung
up; in fact, what I usually wind up doing is waiting until I am disconnected
and then hitting OA-H.

--

In article <15500@agate.BERKELEY.EDU> c60c-3aw@web-3d.berkeley.edu (Andy McFadden) writes:
>>>4) My modem (a Zipper 2400, actually a Prometheus ProModem 2400G) doesn't
>>>   return numerical codes after hanging up, so ProTERM never realizes that
>>>   the phone was hung up.  Note that it DOES recognize a busy signal, so it
>>>   probably isn't related to the init string.  Anybody have similar probs?
>>
>>Are you sure you aren't having problems with maybe carrier handshaking?
>>Or is it when YOU hang up?  In that case, if your DTR isn't enabled when
>>you receive the status code, chances are you will lose it.  Then again,
>>maybe it's not either of these...
>
>It prints "NO CARRIER" rather than returning a number.  If I use the ProTERM
>H)angup command, it is smart enough to realize that the phone was just hung
>up; in fact, what I usually wind up doing is waiting until I am disconnected
>and then hitting OA-H.

I have my modem set up for word commands and ProTERM 2.01 realizes that I've
hung up...Maybe 1 in one hundred times of hanging up, probably less, ProTERM
doesn't realize I've hung up but that's usually because of some weird carrier
loss for an unexplained reason (i.e. not hanging up from a bbs the standard
way).

I only have my init string to "AT" because I don't like my busy detection on
because my modem (an EasyData 2400BD) sometimes thinks that a really LOUD
ring is a busy signal...

It just seems like the BUSY detection on modems is fooled sometimes...Since
I call the UNIX system (which is never busy), and other bulletin boards
usually in the middle of the night when they're not too busy, it doesn't
really matter to me.

			-tuu

shawn@pnet51.cts.com (Shawn Stanley) (10/19/88)

If you have a ProModem 2400G clone and you're getting word results instead
of numeric, and you WANT numeric, execute the ATV0 modem command.  If this
method doesn't "stick" for you, although it works the first time, save it
in the nonvolatile RAM with the AT&W command, which saves various register
and setting states.

c60c-3aw@tarantula.berkeley.edu (Andy McFadden) (10/21/88)

In article <187@orbit.UUCP> shawn@pnet51.cts.com (Shawn Stanley) writes:
>If you have a ProModem 2400G clone and you're getting word results instead

For the record: the modem is manufactured by Prometheus; only the name has
been changed to protect the profits.  It *is* a ProModem 2400G.

>of numeric, and you WANT numeric, execute the ATV0 modem command.  If this
>method doesn't "stick" for you, although it works the first time, save it
>in the nonvolatile RAM with the AT&W command, which saves various register
>and setting states.

Here's a possible problem: it's not as Hayes compatible is it claims.

Try this:
ATV0	<- set for numeric result codes
ATZ	<- this should reset all setting to their defaults.  Note that this
	   will return a "0" rather than "OK", because the result is sent
	   before the registers are reset.
ATZ	<- do it again.  It should now return "OK", because one of the bit-
	   mapped S-registers should have been reset.  Mine returns a "0".
	   Ooops.

As the Unknown User pointed out, ProTERM is (apparently) capable of handling
verbal result codes to some degree.

I also tried this:
After the phone hung up, I was left in the modem command mode with various
things (i.e., echo) turned off.  I did an ATV0, then ATDT###... when the
remote connection hung up, it sent a numeric code.  ProTERM still did not
detect it.

About the only thing I can try now is complain to Checkmate or Prometheus.

--
fadden@zen.berkeley.edu [crashed]
c60c-3aw@widow.berkeley.edu (Andy McFadden)
(Outgoing E-mail has about a 40% chance of successfully escaping Cal.  Feel
 free to respond through the mail, but I probably can't answer.)

22149853@WSUVM1.BITNET (Duane Wessels) (10/22/88)

Andy McFadden writes:

>Here's a possible problem: it's not as Hayes compatible is it claims.
>Try this:
>ATV0    <- set for numeric result codes
>
>ATZ    <- this should reset all setting to their defaults.  Note that this
>       will return a "0" rather than "OK", because the result is sent
>       before the registers are reset.
>ATZ    <- do it again.  It should now return "OK", because one of the bit-
>       mapped S-registers should have been reset.  Mine returns a "0".
>       Ooops.

On the Promodem 2400G ATZ does not reset the S-registers to any default value.
Instead, they are set back to the configuration stored in the nonvolatile RAM.
If you did a AT&W some time ago, that saved the settings of the S-registers to
the RAM.  Hope this helps....

--- Duane Wessels
--- Bitnet: 22149853@WSUVM1