[comp.sys.apple] Who should pay for upgrades?

dr@skivs.UUCP (David Robins) (10/21/88)

In article <Oct.19.17.56.04.1988.27523@elbereth.rutgers.edu> joseph@elbereth.rutgers.edu (Seymour Joseph) writes:
>   I am just settling in with my //GS and am discovering that GS/OS is
>a mixed blessing for now.  In spite of Apple's statements that GS/OS
>Activision (now MediaGenic) claims that updates for registered users
>will be coming "in a month or so."  It is the "or so" that worries me.
>Since I own all five of these, if there is a charge levied for the
>upgrade I am going to be quite angry (and poor).

This is a problem I have with upgrades.  When Apple changes the
operating system, the software companies have to fix their products to
accommodate the change.  Can they be expected to also foot the bill
for mailing out new disks to users, when their product worked just
fine (not enough bugs to warrant an update) under the operating system
that existed when the software was written and marketed?  After all,
Apple has been changing operating systems faster than most users can
keep up with them. They have released ProDOS 8 v1.4, v1.5, v1.6, v1.8,
System Disk 1.x, System Disk 3.1, System Disk 3.2, System Disk 4.0 [GS/OS]
all within the past 1 year or so.

Therefore, I can see the company paying for fixes to a faulty product
when updates are available.  I think probably the user should foot the
bill (hopefully small) for UPGRADES to products that operate under new
operating systems.  Otherwise, software companies may not write as
much software; they will worry that each new OS may bankrupt them if
they are expected to upgrade everyone for free.

Fair is fair.  Comments?  No flames, please.
			-dave
--
David Robins, M.D.  (ophthalmologist / electronics engineer)
Smith-Kettlewell Eye Research Institute, 2232 Webster St, San Francisco CA 94115

jw009@unocss.UUCP (Mike McMahon) (10/22/88)

From article <2702@skivs.UUCP>, by dr@skivs.UUCP (David Robins):
> In article <Oct.19.17.56.04.1988.27523@elbereth.rutgers.edu> joseph@elbereth.rutgers.edu (Seymour Joseph) writes:
>>Since I own all five of these, if there is a charge levied for the
>>upgrade I am going to be quite angry (and poor).
>
> This is a problem I have with upgrades.  When Apple changes the
> operating system, the software companies have to fix their products to
> accommodate the change.  Can they be expected to also foot the bill

	I was under the impression that Apple has mandated certain standards,
and that if a developer conforms to the standard he is in no danger of having
problems with later releases.  There may be exceptions but, by and large,
there is no reason to throw the standards out the window.  PLEASE...correct me
me if I am blatantly incorrect.
        Incidentally, Apple ought to be congratulated for being organized
enough to make the standards work.  It had to have been quite an effort to
coordinate all the toolsets, interface guidelines, etc...the Toolbox Reference
is HUGE, and quite impressive besides.

> Therefore, I can see the company paying for fixes to a faulty product
> when updates are available.  I think probably the user should foot the
> bill (hopefully small) for UPGRADES to products that operate under new

        If the program is FAULTY (i.e. breaks because of something the
developer did outside Apple's standards) the developer should foot the bill.
Period.
	A nominal fee for most UPGRADES isn't out of line ($5-$15 is fine, but
if developers would be willing to charge only for the disk--wow!); however, if
more developers would adopt a method that is convenient to both their company
and to the end users, a lot of problems involving costs could be avoided.  For
example, use the extensive networks that have been built to distribute up-
grades to registered users.  GEnie, CompuServe, or even the InterNet would
work just fine.  Several people do this already, I think...Glen Bredon among
them.  Dave Lyons makes good use of the facilities as well.  (By the way,
Dave, thanks for staying on top of everything; Keith can certainly use the
assistance when things get congested!)
	That approach only works well for "diffs" in most cases--offloading an
entire 800k program onto a network could be problematic.  Maybe make them
available for anonymous FTP to registered users?

> David Robins, M.D.  (ophthalmologist / electronics engineer)

--Mike

joseph@elbereth.rutgers.edu (Seymour Joseph) (10/22/88)

About upgrades.   I dont mind paying a $5-10 handling charge for an
updated diskette.   I understand that the publishing company is taking
the heat for Apple's actions.   Its just that I own 5 of these and if
the upgrade price is severe ($50...) I will be poor.

Some companies are great.  The learning company for instance.  When I
called them to ask about updating my //e Rocky's Boots to the //GS
verison, they just verified that I owned it (while I was on the phone)
and sent me a new 3.5" //GS version for free.  I had it in less than a
week.

On the other hand.  The latest USI upgrade for Ascii Express Moustalk
was very expensive ($25-30), was mostly bug fixes with a few features
added and consisted of only a diskette and three xeroxed pages.  Not
even a new manual!  They cashed the check immediately and didn't send
anything for two and a half months.   Finally I got a disk that
wouldn't boot.   THEY MADE ME SEND IT BACK AGAIN BEFORE THEY WOULD
SEND ME A REPAIRED ONE!   It ended up taking three months for the
whole upgrade and I am very soured on USI.

Mediagenic was seeded with versions of GS/OS much prior to its
announcment to the general public and should have been closer to
having working products by Sept. 19 when it was announced.   Here it
is a month later and they still don't work.   I bought them after the
release of GS/OS.   There was no sticker on the box, no postcard
inside that said "don't worry, were fixing it as fast as we can",
nothing.

I understand the costs involved.  I don't balk at reasonable upgrades
for reasonable prices.  I have just been gouged a few times and am
overly paranoid.

In the meantime I will just wait, and wait....

Seymour

gwyn@smoke.BRL.MIL (Doug Gwyn ) (10/23/88)

In article <2702@skivs.UUCP> dr@skivs.UUCP (David Robins) writes:
>This is a problem I have with upgrades.  When Apple changes the
>operating system, the software companies have to fix their products to
>accommodate the change.  Can they be expected to also foot the bill
>for mailing out new disks to users, when their product worked just
>fine (not enough bugs to warrant an update) under the operating system
>that existed when the software was written and marketed?

I have no sympathy with this argument.  The vast majority of breakage
appears to be due to the application software developers NOT FOLLOWING
THE PUBLISHED RULES when they wrote their code.  Apple has been fairly
careful to make new releases upward-compatible for products that
followed the rules.  (They even have in the past accommodated some
important software that had violated the rules.)

When the fault is in the application product, it is only fair for the
application product developer/marketer to bear the cost of remedying
the defect.  If they make the customer pay for their mistakes, they
deserve to lose their customers.

keith@Apple.COM (Keith Rollin) (10/23/88)

In article <455@unocss.UUCP> jw009@unocss.UUCP (Mike McMahon) writes:
>For
>example, use the extensive networks that have been built to distribute up-
>grades to registered users.  GEnie, CompuServe, or even the InterNet would
>work just fine.  Several people do this already, I think...Glen Bredon among
>them.  Dave Lyons makes good use of the facilities as well.  (By the way,
>Dave, thanks for staying on top of everything; Keith can certainly use the
>assistance when things get congested!)

I'll second that emotion! There are so many questions, and so little time. It's
nice to see the manu people in the world who are willing to take the time to
help others.

However, I don't want to take the view that Dave Lyons and all the others who
answer questions on the net are there to help ME. I'd rather like to think that
I am here to help them. (Not that Dave really needs it! He is a Certified
Developer that talks with Apple II DTS a lot -- usually pointing out bugs to
us...)

Keith Rollin                               UUCP:      amdahl\
Developer Technical Support                      pyramid!sun !apple!keith
Apple Computer                                        decwrl/
                                         BITNET: keith%apple.com@relay.cs.net
"You can do what you want to me, but leave my computer alone!"