[comp.sys.apple] GSOS/ProDOS filesystem extentions?

ralphw@ius3.ius.cs.cmu.edu (Ralph Hyre) (10/23/88)

In article <2914@nucleus.UUCP> dougm@nucleus.UUCP (Doug McIntyre) writes:

>Has any one at apple considered making a big* prodos file system?
>I notice that there isn't any fst id number that corresponds to future
>expansion of prodos, but you probably could take something like dos 3.1 off the
>list of fst id numbers (after all I doubt that a dos 3.1 fst is going to be
>written.)
But it wouldn't be ProDOS anymore, right?  Applications that claim to
run under ProDOS might be unable to work with the 'new' ProDOS, further
adding to the confusion.  Why not just do the 'right' thing and add an
FST for the Berkeley fast filesystem, which has a 2 or 4 gigabyte limit.
Not only will this anticipate needs of the GS+ (which is now delayed long
to expect it to be a 65832 machine to be ready, right everybody?)
Plus, you might even beat the Mac (A/UX) guys to market again, they're still
using a S-L-O-W SysV filesystem.

From what I've heard on the net GS/OS supports a hard drive partitioning
capability anyway? So you can have as many 32M ProDOS volumes as you want.
Or, (presumably) you can put a different type of filesystem on each partition,
right?  This is arguably the right thing if you're using various filesystems
types [I can think of 8 right now - ProDOS, DOS 3.1, 3.2, Pascal 1.1, Mac MFS,
Mac HFS, CP/M, and MS-DOS (for PCxporter users)].

Anyway, good luck, and have fun.
--
					- Ralph W. Hyre, Jr.
Internet: ralphw@ius3.cs.cmu.edu    Phone:(412) CMU-BUGS