[comp.sys.apple] Sider showing up under GS/OS

>Date:         Sat, 22 Oct 88 01:03:37 GMT
>Comments:     Warning -- original Sender: tag was info-apple-request@BRL.MIL
>From:         "Daniel K. Appelquist" <da1n+@ANDREW.CMU.EDU>

>Ok- This is some strange stuff.  Why does GS/OS, when booted from a
>3.5 inch disk, initially not recognize my Sider hard disk, even when
>the scsi driver is in the driver folder, and then when I launch
>basic.system, catalog my hard drive to make sure it still exists, and
>then exit back to the finder, the hard drive is recognized.  This is
>just weird.

(By the way, this problem was discussed & explained pretty thoroughly
on AppleLink--Personal Edition a couple of weeks ago.)

The problem is in the Sider's controller board's ROM (I don't know
whether an update is planned--I would assume so).  In the meantime
the workaround is easy--you have to access the Sider from ProDOS (by
booting it, for example, or by looking at it from a ProDOS
application booted from another device.)

The explanation:  The ROM on a ProDOS device's card is asked to do 4
things through the ProDOS interface:  read a block, write a block,
format the device, and get the status of the device.  GS/OS differs
from ProDOS in that the Status call is the first one that gets done,
and if it returns an error the device is ignored.  The Sider ROM
doesn't set up the info it needs about the ProDOS partition until a
Read or Write call is done; after at least one Read or Write has
been done, then Status will work fine.

>   Dan A.

--David A. Lyons              bitnet: awcttypa@uiamvs
  DAL Systems                 CompuServe:  72177,3233
  P.O. Box 287                GEnie mail:    D.LYONS2
  North Liberty, IA 52317     AppleLinkPE: Dave Lyons