[comp.sys.apple] GS/OS and big file systems

>Date:         Wed, 19 Oct 88 20:24:25 GMT
>From:         Doug McIntyre <netsys!nucleus!dougm@LLL-WINKEN.LLNL.GOV>

>Has any one at apple considered making a *big* prodos file system?

If you change the file system it isn't ProDOS any more.  (ProDOS 8 wouldn't
be able to read it, for example.  ProDOS 8 doesn't have room to grow very
much.)

On the other hand, I assume that Apple *is* working on an HFS FST.

>for example, using the long data size for block numbers for an
>access size of the drive at 4GB, and having filetype a word long,
>having longer file names, and upper/lower case, more rubust[?] symbols
>in file names, and so forth.

Sounds a lot like HFS to me, at least as far as upper/lower case,
longer names, bigger collection of characters allowed in names.  Not
sure about the exact limits.

>I notice that there isn't any fst id number that corresponds to
>future expansion of prodos, but you probably could take something
>like dos 3.1 off the list of fst id numbers (after all I doubt that a
>dos 3.1 fst is going to be written.)

I'm not sure extensions to the ProDOS fs will happen, but as far as
getting IDs for FSTs, there isn't a problem:  Apple can define one
of the more than 65500 currently-undefined values.  (An FST ID is a
16-bit quantity, and only about a dozen have been defined so far.)

--David A. Lyons              bitnet: awcttypa@uiamvs
  DAL Systems                 CompuServe:  72177,3233
  P.O. Box 287                GEnie mail:    D.LYONS2
  North Liberty, IA 52317     AppleLinkPE: Dave Lyons