[comp.sys.apple] Apple IIGS and Apple Drives

sk2f+@ANDREW.CMU.EDU ("Seth D. Kadesh") (10/23/88)

Which 3.5 drives can run off the GS smartport?  I had a compatibility problem
with my Central Point Software drives - the Universal Drive Controller (it ran
5 1/4 and 3.5 drives!) was not 100% Apple compatible i.e. the COPY PROTECTED
software would not run!  Very aggravating!  I coped for a while, but just
recently succumbed.  My old drives are now owned by Mac users, who have no
problems - the drives were actually Mac drives.  So now I need to go out and
buy new drives.  What is the difference between Apple brand Mac drives, and
the 3.5 drive Apple makes for the GS?  Could I wire a connection between the
Mac drives and the GS smartport?  Is there a different external drive for the
Mac SE/Mac II?  HELP?!!  A quick answer would be most gratifying, as I have
no drives at the moment!
     A comment about my plight.  I don't think it unreasonable to expect that
software manufacturers make their products run on similar systems.  I must
point out that only COPY PROTECTED SOFTWARE (3.5 disk format) would not run
off of my drive/controller setup.  I know that Apple wants developers to
follow Apple set standards, so that future enhancements do not bring the
problem of incompatibility (example: most telecommunication software written
for the Apple II will not run on the IIGS because developers sidestepped the
software protocols, and worked directly with the hardware - 6551 or something.
Then Apple changed the IIGS to an 8530 or something - the numbers are the
serial chip processors - and all old Apple II software that ignored Apple's
communication standards were rendered incompatible.  Apple did this too.  Hmm.)
However, I don't think that the drive/controller fall into the same category.
     Let the NeXT machine from Apple be a faster IIGS!

Thanks.

  --Seth Kadesh
  --sk2f@+andrew.cmu.edu  (it's correct, it just may not be in order!)

The Mad Scientist knows...

c60c-3aw@web-3d.berkeley.edu (Andy McFadden) (10/24/88)

In article <wXMLafZ68k-08NNLFh@andrew.cmu.edu> sk2f+@ANDREW.CMU.EDU ("Seth D. Kadesh") writes:
>Which 3.5 drives can run off the GS smartport?  I had a compatibility problem
>with my Central Point Software drives -
[stuff removed]
>                 What is the difference between Apple brand Mac drives, and
>the 3.5 drive Apple makes for the GS?  Could I wire a connection between the

As of two years or so ago, there is no difference.  Apple sells the same drive
(AppleDisk 3.5) for both the //gs and the Macintosh.  On a Mac the
eject button is deactivated, but the instruction manual contains info for
both kinds of computers.  Part of Apple's effort to spend as little time as
possible on the //gs by having it use Mac hardware (half :-|).

>     A comment about my plight.  I don't think it unreasonable to expect that
>software manufacturers make their products run on similar systems.  I must
>point out that only COPY PROTECTED SOFTWARE (3.5 disk format) would not run

Is Diversi-Cache copy protected?  I can name a couple of things which don't
work even after the copy protection is removed... it isn't the software
manufacturers, it's the drive.  Not only doesn't it go where the //gs expects
it, I don't believe it supports the full range of calls (there are extended
calls for the //gs SmartPort).

I still don't understand why Apple is the only one who can make a 3.5 drive
which plugs into the SmartPort directly.

>     Let the NeXT machine from Apple be a faster IIGS!

Or an Apple II emulator for the Amiga...  (other half of the :-|)