[comp.sys.apple] IIgs Plus??

da1n+@andrew.cmu.edu (Daniel K. Appelquist) (10/24/88)

I read on a LOCAL BBS last night a detailed press release concerning
our favorite subject, the IIgs plus.  Among the features listed on
this supposed CPU were 2 megs of ram on board, internal disk drive
space, and a board upgrade from the iigs for $300.  Now I would be
very supprised if an official apple press release found its way to a
local board before it reached here, and I would be even more
supprised if the $300 upgrade turned out to be true (ram prices being
what they are, the ram alone on the new motherboards should cost
about $300...)  But the "press release" was extremely specific and
detailed.  If it was a fake, it was a very good fake.  What I want to
know is: what's going on?

   Dan A.

c60c-3aw@tarantula.berkeley.edu (Andy McFadden) (10/25/88)

In article <YXMpCDN28k-0EFhIBV@andrew.cmu.edu> da1n+@andrew.cmu.edu (Daniel K. Appelquist) writes:
>I read on a LOCAL BBS last night a detailed press release concerning
>our favorite subject, the IIgs plus.
[...]
>                                                       What I want to
>know is: what's going on?

Nothing is going on, at least for another 12-18 months.  Rumors have been
everywhere for a while, and that is all we will have for some time.

One hopes that Apple is using this time to IMPROVE the gs+, and aren't just
delaying it as part of some grand marketing strategy.  Maybe they're waiting
for chip prices to drop...

--
fadden@zen.berkeley.edu [crashed]
c60c-3aw@widow.berkeley.edu (Andy McFadden)

shankar@src.honeywell.COM (Subash Shankar) (10/25/88)

In article <YXMpCDN28k-0EFhIBV@andrew.cmu.edu> da1n+@andrew.cmu.edu (Daniel K. Appelquist) writes:
>I read on a LOCAL BBS last night a detailed press release concerning
>our favorite subject, the IIgs plus.  Among the features listed on
>this supposed CPU were 2 megs of ram on board, internal disk drive
>space, and a board upgrade from the iigs for $300.  Now I would be
>very supprised if an official apple press release found its way to a
>local board before it reached here, and I would be even more
>supprised if the $300 upgrade turned out to be true (ram prices being
>what they are, the ram alone on the new motherboards should cost
>about $300...)  But the "press release" was extremely specific and
>detailed.  If it was a fake, it was a very good fake.  What I want to

Sorry, it was a fake, I think.  I've seen the same (presumably) "press
release" (with copyright notices and everything), but from what I
understand, there is no truth to it, and Apple has not yet announced
the release date (with numerous rumours about Apple delaying the
announcement until a faster Mac SE is made).  Suprisingly, the specs
on the fake release are remarkably similar to the real GS+ (or at
least the version sent to developers), except for the 10 MHz speed,
the 65832 processor, and the 2 Meg on-board memory.  In reality,
I've heard that they are using a 7.8 MHz 65816 with the amount of
memory undetermined due to the volatile RAM market.  I suppose, the
fake release was made by some kids who put together various rumours
about the GS+, and came out with a reasonably sounding description.