[comp.sys.apple] AC Basic

NETOPRMS@NCSUVM.BITNET (Michael Steele) (10/20/88)

    Has anyone used AC Basic compiler for the GS?  I have a friend who just
 bought a GS but doesn't want to learn the ins and outs of the Toolbox.  I've
 heard that writing quick, easy windowing programs is possible with AC Basic,
 any comments?  Does anyone have a demo version I might play with?

                                    Thanks in advance, Michael
NETOPRMS@NCSUVM.BITNET  Michael Steele  co-sysop of NCSU Apple Users BBS
10 meg Apple downloads(latest PD software), Tech/Pascal/PCP discussion
919-783-9010 (PC Pursuitable NCRTP)  Call today!  919-783-9010
              ARPA: mikes@ncsuvx.ncsu.edu

rupp@cod.NOSC.MIL (William L. Rupp) (10/25/88)

In article <487NETOPRMS@NCSUVM> NETOPRMS@NCSUVM.BITNET (Michael Steele) writes:

  >    Has anyone used AC Basic compiler for the GS?  I have a friend who just
  > bought a GS but doesn't want to learn the ins and outs of the Toolbox.  I've
  > heard that writing quick, easy windowing programs is possible with AC Basic,
  > any comments?  Does anyone have a demo version I might play with?
  >
  >                                    Thanks in advance, Michael
  >NETOPRMS@NCSUVM.BITNET  Michael Steele  co-sysop of NCSU Apple Users BBS

I have both AC BASIC and TML BASIC, and can therefore offer at least some
comments which may be useful.   First I should say that I am working on a
TML BASIC tutorial, so you may want to take that into consideration.

Actually, both are good, depending on what you want to accomplish and your
level of sophistication.  If you want to do some down-to-the-metal programming,
TML is much better.  It's support of the Toolbox is very good.  It's
editing/compiliing environment essentially gives you an interpreter
environemnt for speedy program development.

AC BASIC takes a different approach.  If you have used MS-BASIC on the
Mac, you will find AC BASIC very, very familiar.  While AC does not offer
as much support for the Toolbox, the routines it does support are
sometimes easier to use than in TML BASIC.

I have really not used AC much, mostly because my writing project
concentrates on TML BASIC.  For persons who are satisfied users of
MS-BASIC on the Mac (I believe AC actually wrote the MS-BASIC complier),
AC may be a very good choice.  Or for real beginning programmers, or
those who have Mac BASIC programs to transport to the GS.

But if you are a pretty serious-minded programmer who wants to access the
Toolbox routines directly, the only choice is TML-BASIC.  Again, I want
to emphasize that both have strong points.  They are similar, though
not identical, programming tools.  Which you chose should hinge on which
tool is appropriate for you and your situation.

Bill

----------------------
I'll gladly accept a hamburger today for the use of my personal opinions
Tuesday.
----------------------

mcgurrin@MITRE.ARPA (10/25/88)

I'd add a few thoughts on TML BASIC.  I purchased it awhile ago, and just
recently had the chance to start using it more.  I like the environment,
which I find very handy, especially the ability to cut and paste sections
of code from one file to another (and then modify them).  My major complaint
is the documentation.  I understand that they rely on other sources to
describe the toolbox routines themselves, but is it too much to ask for better
documentation on the TML BASIC syntax used to access them?  If the example
programs have an example similar to the one you want, your fine, otherwise
it's trial and error or hunt through multiple manual locations without the
benefit of a decent index.  In fairness, the syntax isn't too bad once you
figure it out, but it took me an evening the first time I decided to draw
something other than a rectangle or line (using draw poly routines).  I may
be a potential customer for your book, but having taken a course in C a few
months ago, I will most likely switch over.  Due to the limits of the BASIC
language, the handling of pointers and structures used by the toolbox is
not what it could be in Pascal or C.

TML does supply some desktop library calls which make it a little easier,
for example, it is trivial to generate an alert box with 1 or 2 lines of
text and 1 or 2 buttons (OK and Cancel).