[comp.sys.apple] Apple IIGS drives AGAIN!!!

sk2f+@ANDREW.CMU.EDU ("Seth D. Kadesh") (10/25/88)

I tried the Mac drives, and they didn't work on my IIGS.  Either they were old
Mac drives, or there still is a difference between Apple II and Mac drives.  No
one here at Carnegie-Mellon seems to know, but the computer store is looking
into it.

In comment to my first letter, Andy McFadden
 <agate!web-3d.berkeley.edu!c60c-3aw@ucbvax.berkeley.edu> writes:

> Is Diversi-Cache copy protected?  I can name a couple of things which don't
> work even after the copy protection is removed... it isn't the software
> manufacturers, it's the drive.  Not only doesn't it go where the //gs expects
> it, I don't believe it supports the full range of calls (there are extended
> calls for the //gs SmartPort).

As far as my knowledge goes, the drive sold by Central Point Software is just a
drive (old Mac drive).  It only supports what ever the controller card does.  It
is the controller card that is at fault, IF IT IS NOT EMULATING THE SMARTPORT
CALLS.  But I don't think it even has to emulate all of the smartport calls - it
does not have to worry about daisy chaining, for instance.  Central Point
Software is selling a new controller card that provides closer emulation - maybe
the one you tried was an older version (the new version is much shorter and
contains less chips).  Maybe the Diversi-Cache makes undocumented calls.  I have
never had the chance to try it.  But I never had a problem with any software
other than that which was copy protected.  Maybe the card is at fault.  Maybe
I'm just being stubborn, but I don't like to pay a lot of money for something
when there are alternates available.

> I still don't understand why Apple is the only one who can make a 3.5 drive
> which plugs into the SmartPort directly.

Neither do I - it would be nice to see, though.

> >  Let the NeXT machine from Apple be a faster IIGS!

> Or an Apple II emulator for the Amiga...  (other half of the :-|)

As for me, I think I'm going to stick to the Apple II.

-- Seth Kadesh  sk2f+@andrew.cmu.edu

Let the NeXT machine from Apple be a IIGS+!

the mad scientist...where?

c60c-3aw@web-2f.berkeley.edu (Andy McFadden) (10/26/88)

In article <gXMwFYy00V4=EKTEwQ@andrew.cmu.edu> sk2f+@ANDREW.CMU.EDU ("Seth D. Kadesh") writes:
>I tried the Mac drives, and they didn't work on my IIGS.  Either they were old
>Mac drives, or there still is a difference between Apple II and Mac drives.  No
>one here at Carnegie-Mellon seems to know, but the computer store is looking
>into it.

Hmm.  Are these the ones with the horizontal lines (same design as //gs)?  The
older (Mac-only) ones don't work at all.

[stuff removed]
>As far as my knowledge goes, the drive sold by Central Point Software is just a
>drive (old Mac drive).  It only supports what ever the controller card does.  It

You're right here.  The problem is that it isn't hooked into the smartport,
so some software doesn't recognize it.  I do have the newer card by the way.

[yet more stuff removed]
>> >  Let the NeXT machine from Apple be a faster IIGS!
>
>> Or an Apple II emulator for the Amiga...  (other half of the :-|)
>
>As for me, I think I'm going to stick to the Apple II.

I would be sticking to the Apple II.  It's the dinosaur "gs" part that can
go out the window.

--
fadden@zen.berkeley.edu [crashed]
c60c-3aw@widow.berkeley.edu (Andy McFadden)