[comp.sys.apple] AppleLink--PE backup disks

>Date:         Mon, 24 Oct 88 12:59:09 EDT
>From:         Greg Prevost <gregp@PRO-CAROLINA.CTS.COM>

>> Its not copy protection, its ACCOUNT protection.

>Ok, if I read what you just said right then what do you do when your disk
>crashes on you?  You can make a copy of it but after one login that copy will
>no longer work since the password is automatically changed, so the only way to
>make a backup in case of the software going bad or coffee stains is to make a
>copy after each and every logon!!  Is there some way around that?  If not you
>had better take that "account protection" out till you find a better way that
>allows backups, because I don't feel like waiting weeks for a new password!

No waiting for weeks is necessary; a quick toll-free call to Customer Service
(the number is displayed on your screen when something goes wrong) clears
things up quickly.  I believe they'll give you a "re-signup" number that you
can use right away (upon verification of some mother's-maiden-name type of
info, of course).

By the way, you may still want to keep a backup.  If your regular disk
becomes *partly* unreadable, you can switch to the backup after copying
one file (called DB11, I think) from the old disk to the new disk.  (They
don't tell you that, of course, but it's pretty obvious from the last-
modification date/times which file is getting updated each time you log
on.)

>Greg Prevost
>UUCP: [ ihnp4 sdcsvax nosc ] !crash!pro-carolina!gregp    Never forget
>ARPA: crash!pro-carolina!gregp@nosc.mil                   your towel!
>INET: gregp@pro-carolina.cts.com                          Ford Prefect

--David A. Lyons              bitnet: awcttypa@uiamvs
  DAL Systems                 CompuServe:  72177,3233
  P.O. Box 287                GEnie mail:    D.LYONS2
  North Liberty, IA 52317     AppleLinkPE: Dave Lyons