[comp.sys.apple] Rev C

mlussier@pro-mabuhay.UUCP (Mark Lussier) (10/19/88)

  Apple SCSI revision C , after a local user spent days teaching the local
dealers what it was, arrived but was labeled REVISION A.  My question is this.
 Is this really revision C or a patched A. Or to save money, is Apple
reburning it's old chips?

mlussier

    UUCP: crash!pnet01!pro-sol!pro-mabuhay!mlussier
 ARPANet: crash!pnet01!pro-sol!pro-mabuhay!mlussier@nosc.mil
InterNet: mlussier@pro-mabuhay@pro-sol.cts.com
 ProLine: mlussier@pro-mabuhay

Pro-Mabuhay (504) 891-3656 (New users login as 'register')

REWING@TRINCC.BITNET (10/22/88)

I'd send it back for immediate upgrade.  The ROMS on the board should
say on them REV C and there is no such thing as a patched "A".
The upgrade is, of course, free, but its still a bear to have to
return something since its obviosly been sitting on a shelf for months.

--Rick Ewing
  Apple Atlanta

keith@Apple.COM (Keith Rollin) (10/22/88)

In article <8810211536.AA22538@crash.cts.com> pnet01!pro-sol!pro-mabuhay!mlussier@nosc.mil writes:

>  Apple SCSI revision C , after a local user spent days teaching the local
>dealers what it was, arrived but was labeled REVISION A.  My question is this.
> Is this really revision C or a patched A. Or to save money, is Apple
>reburning it's old chips?

the new SCSI chips are technically Version 2.0 Rev A. The ones around here have
a label on them that say:

341-0437-A
Ver 2.0
(c) Apple 1986-1988

Keith Rollin                               UUCP:      amdahl\
Developer Technical Support                      pyramid!sun !apple!keith
Apple Computer                                        decwrl/
                                         BITNET: keith%apple.com@relay.cs.net
"You can do what you want to me, but leave my computer alone!"

kateley@Apple.COM (Jim Kateley) (10/23/88)

In article <8810211536.AA22538@crash.cts.com> pnet01!pro-sol!pro-mabuhay!mlussier@nosc.mil writes:

>  Apple SCSI revision C , after a local user spent days teaching the local
>dealers what it was, arrived but was labeled REVISION A.  My question is this.
> Is this really revision C or a patched A. Or to save money, is Apple
>reburning it's old chips?

You really have a Rev. C chip.  The original SCSI ROM was part number
341-0112A, then 341-0112B.  The "Rev. C" chip was released, but instead of
using the 0112 part number, a new part number, 341-0437, was created for it.
Thus, the new chip currently has a part number of 341-0437A. (BTW, I'm not
dead sure about the numbers 'cause I don't have the service programs book
in front of me, but they should be close...)

>mlussier

Jim Kateley          UUCP: {sun, voder, nsc, mtxinu, dual}!apple!kateley
S,P,HnS!             DOMAIN: kateley@apple.COM  Applelink: kateley1
Disclaimer:   What I say, think, or smell does not reflect any policy or
	      stray thought by Apple Computer, Inc.

blume@netmbx.UUCP (Heiko Blume) (10/26/88)

time for a little flame again (constructive, tho...).
some time ago i needed to upgrade my scsi card from rev a to b (i think).
the dealer said i'd have to give him the card to do that (and wait a week
for them, to merely burn a single rom of course...). after a lot of
effort i got them to copy the rom content onto a disk so i could burn the
rom myself. it turned out that 3 (THREE) bytes had changed ! why the hell
don't they (apple, whoever) just publish the locations that have changed and the
new values ?! lots of time and money could be saved.
btw: i'm not sure at the mom if i have rev c already, (card is idle) but
what HAS changed anyway ? not too difficult to burn a rom :-)
--
Heiko Blume | lazy  : blume@netmbx.UUCP
Seekorso 29 | crazy : ...!{pyramid,unido,altger}!tmpmbx!netmbx!blume

gwyn@smoke.BRL.MIL (Doug Gwyn ) (10/28/88)

In article <1577@netmbx.UUCP> blume@netmbx.UUCP (Heiko Blume) writes:
>why the hell don't they (apple, whoever) just publish the locations
>that have changed ...

I suspect they don't want you making a copy of their Copyrighted ROM.