[comp.sys.apple] LaserWriters

delton@pro-carolina.cts.com (Don Elton) (10/29/88)

Aside from the fact that you can't share it and can't use it on a IIgs, does
anyone know of any particular advantage of using a LaserWriter IINT over a
LaserWriter IISC?  i.e a difference worth $2,000?

UUCP: [ sdcsvax nosc ] !crash!pro-carolina!delton
ARPA: crash!pro-carolina!delton@nosc.mil
INET: delton@pro-carolina.cts.com

Pro-Carolina: 803-776-3936 (300-2400 baud, login as 'register')

US Mail: 3207 Berkeley Forest Drive, Columbia, SC  29209-4111

jordan%lvvm6.span@SDS.SDSC.EDU (RICH) (11/01/88)

In Message-Id: <8810291117.AA09606@crash.cts.com> Don Elton writes:
>Aside from the fact that you can't share it and can't use it on a IIgs, does
>anyone know of any particular advantage of using a LaserWriter IINT over a
>LaserWriter IISC?  i.e a difference worth $2,000?

Its a good thing Don Lancaster doesn't read these (at least I think he doesn't)
or you'd have a far longer and more expressive response to that question :-).

The answer to your question is Postscript. If all you intend to do is text
printing with some limited graphics, the SC may serve your needs, but then so
might a Centronics laser that I've seen advertised for under $1000.00 in
Computer Shopper. The flexibility that the Postscript interpreter gives you
for doing even text output should not be underestimated, and when it comes to
graphics, well... even though it can be slow, the results are well worth the
wait.

What is your primary need for a laser printer? If you think that the Apple
Postscript printers are just overpriced, consider the NEC Liquid Crystal
Postscript machine, that has Appletalk capability. There's another company that
produces a Ricoh based Postscript printer (AST?) that has worked well here at
work (although I'm not a big fan of the Ricoh engine). There are probably lots
of other possibilities too.

If you don't currently, you might try reading Don Lancaster's columns in the
Computer Shopper. For Postscript information, and applications running on Apple
][ series machines, you can't beat them.

Hope that helps.

							Rich

<jordan%lvva.span@sds.sdsc.edu>
BIX:	richjordan (Rarely there)