[comp.sys.apple] "Turn On HD" ???

shatara@univse.dec.com (Chris Shatara, Chelmsford, Ma.) (11/02/88)

>Back to the subject of GS/OS being booted from slot 5 and unable to see a
>hard disk in slot 7, when I boot from slot 5 it's to test out a downloaded
>program with my HD turned off.  Once convinced I didn't get a virus, I
>turn on the HD.  No way is the finder going to know that!  Nor is there
>---------------
>any way to make the finder check slot 7 without first leaving the finder.

I have asked this question before but have not seen the answer due to
problems receiving this news letter at the time.

How does one "TURN ON/OFF" a device once installed.  My previous question
was in regard to the 5.25" drive.

Thanks....Chris Shatara

shawn@pnet51.cts.com (Shawn Stanley) (11/05/88)

shatara@univse.dec.com (Chris Shatara, Chelmsford, Ma.) writes:
>I have asked this question before but have not seen the answer due to
>problems receiving this news letter at the time.
>
>How does one "TURN ON/OFF" a device once installed.  My previous question
>was in regard to the 5.25" drive.

Your response involved a message from someone else concerning a hard drive,
which is rather easy to deal with.  You shut off the power to the hard drive
and it's unavailable, simple.

Since there's no "power switch" on the 5.25" drive, you could go to the slot
menu and change the SmartPort to "your card", then re-power the system and it
would be gone.  Unless you have a 5.25" disk controller in a slot and already
have it set to "your card", in which case you would change it to its default
setting instead.

Life is so much easier when you have a cable for your 5.25" drive that plugs
into the SmartPort or daisychains off a 3.5" drive; you can simply unplug the
drive (with power off!) to "disconnect the device".  You can get an
appropriate replacement cable from JameCo at around $10, I believe.
Mail-order.

UUCP: {rosevax, crash}!orbit!pnet51!shawn
INET: shawn@pnet51.cts.com