[comp.sys.apple] APDA out of business

bird@ihlpf.ATT.COM (Walters) (11/03/88)

Some time ago I asked if others had received their APDA catalogs.
One person answered that they had just received one.  The last one
I received was the infamous "APDA World in Reverse" cover.  (And to
set the record straight - it was not the fault of some dumbo
printer. It is a matter of policy in the printing world to give the
customer a copy of the final product and have them verify the
contents *before* the print run.)

Seems odd that nobody has drawn the obvious conclusion that Claris
will become the new APDA. Wonder if we will still have to pay $20 a
year for a Mac catalog? It would probably be fairer if you only had
to pay for that portion of the catalog dedicated towards your
interests; that way the Apple ][ folks would only have to pay about
$1.87 per year.

Since the APDA folding surfaced here four or more months ago it
would seem that Apple has already figured out what the replacement,
if any, was going to be. If that is so, "why hasn't there been an
announcement on the net?" If not here, then mailings to APDA
members would seeem appropriate. Anyone out there received such a
notice? (I need to ask this since I'm not getting catalogs so it
isn't clear that Apple would know of my existence.)
--
				Joe Walters att!ihlpf!bird
				IHP 1F-240 (312) 416-5356

c60c-3aw@e260-3b.berkeley.edu (Andy McFadden) (11/05/88)

In article <6537@ihlpf.ATT.COM> bird@ihlpf.ATT.COM (Walters) writes:
[all sort of stuff callously destroyed]
>                          If not here, then mailings to APDA
>members would seeem appropriate. Anyone out there received such a
>notice? (I need to ask this since I'm not getting catalogs so it
>isn't clear that Apple would know of my existence.)

I got a "please renew now" letter from APDA yesterday!  Suggestions?

--
fadden@zen.berkeley.edu [crashed]
c60c-3aw@widow.berkeley.edu (Andy McFadden)

dr@skivs.UUCP (David Robins) (11/06/88)

I renewed my APDA (and CALL-APPLE) memberships in September.  They
made no mention of APDA going out of business, and they took my money
for the APDA renewal.

If they were actually out of business, wouldn't that be fraud?  If
they are out of business, I'm going to ask for a refund!
			-dave
--
David Robins, M.D.  (ophthalmologist / electronics engineer)
Smith-Kettlewell Eye Research Institute, 2232 Webster St, San Francisco CA 94115

lwv@n8emr.UUCP (Larry W. Virden) (11/09/88)

From what I understand of the situation - and I havent gotten
my newsletter yet, Apple has been talking to APDA for many months about
buying a portion of the organization that APDA had set up - Apple
at one time had a very poor, if non existent, distribution mechinism
set up - and NOTHING to distribute software to non-certified programmers
other than dealers.  APDA changed all that, and showed Apple that there
was quite a few people who wanted software quickly - so of course Apple
wanted
to get the business back.

APDA had no idea if Apple would indeed come thru with a reasonable offer;
thus, they had to continue business as usual.  Rumors now indicate that
at least part of that business that APDA was doing is going to be going
back to Apple; there is no indication that ALL of it will be.  And, if
Apple continues its rumored course, non-certified people will still have
to go thru APDA.  Thus, all of this uproar may be for nothing; the only
benefits that many of us will see is that a few less people will be
competing for our access to APDA.

--
Larry W. Virden	 75046,606 (CIS)
674 Falls Place, Reynoldsburg, OH 43068 (614) 864-8817

dr@skivs.UUCP (David Robins) (11/10/88)

In article <684@n8emr.UUCP> lwv@n8emr.UUCP (Larry W. Virden) writes:

>APDA had no idea if Apple would indeed come thru with a reasonable offer;
>thus, they had to continue business as usual.  Rumors now indicate that
>at least part of that business that APDA was doing is going to be going
>back to Apple; there is no indication that ALL of it will be.  And, if
>Apple continues its rumored course, non-certified people will still have
>to go thru APDA.  Thus, all of this uproar may be for nothing; the only

I called APDA yesterday to ask them if my renewal from September would
be refunded due to the "Apple takeover".  They said that except for
the change in ownership, they expected things to remain pretty much
the same as it is now, and that Apple would honor the APDA membership
subscription.  The change is expected to be early next year.
			-dave