[comp.sys.apple] welcome back

gwyn@smoke.BRL.MIL (Doug Gwyn ) (11/14/88)

In article <8811091615.aa24516@SMOKE.BRL.MIL> abc@BRL.MIL (Brint Cooper) writes:
>All the media insist that 60,000 (!) computers were affected (6,000
>sounds more plausibe really...  but then.

There are 6000 hosts in the NIC host table alone.  If you take into
account the domain system and gateways there could easily be 60000
accessible hosts.  Although probably most of them missed catching
the virus, they were all potentially affected by the loss of service
when the whole Internet was effectively shut down.

>I also noticed that everyone but CNN used the (obsolescent) term
>"arpanet" instead of (more accurate) Internet and Time referred to
>arpanet and milnet as separate entities (administratively perhaps,
>but electronically any difference is transparent).

The virus appears to have started on the ARPAnet and spread to the
MILnet.  These are in fact separate networks; indeed, the blowing
of all gateways between the two nets materially hampered our attempt
to reinfect host VGR.BRL.MIL so that we could capture and study the
virus.

>The NY times says the Lewis, Sr said he thought Jr had given up thinking
>about breaking into computers about the time he discovered girls

I don't know who Lewis is, but we ought not to be naming names until
whatever legal proceedings are pending are over with one way or another.