[comp.sys.apple] Future of Apple; dealers; etc.

Capt. Albatross (jm7e+@andrew.cmu.edu) writes:

>If anyone remembers the days when the Apple was new and fabulous and
>upper-case-only, you'll remember that buying from Apple meant
>confidence in the product, and its future. People felt good about
>Apple. They represented a new technology run by people motivated by
>excitement and curiosity. These people didn't screw customers over.

I remember the days of the II+, I still have confidence in the Apple
II line  and its future, I still feel good about Apple, I have always
been motivated by excitement and curiosity, and I haven't screwed
over or been screwed over by anybody.

I don't think I'm alone.

The original discussion was about dealers, I think.  I'm also not
alone in having a local dealer who has an only slightly non-zero
knowledge about the stuff they sell, other than prices.  Altho on
Thursday afternoons and Saturdays a part-time high-school guy works
there & can tell people how, for example, to reboot their Apple
IIs.

But there are plenty of good sources for good info--try user
groups and bulletin boards and other online sources rather than
dealers, unless you're lucky enough to have a kind of dealer I
don't.

>This is why users have a right to complain about the lack of a gs+.
>This isn't IBM or General Motors. This is supposed to be Apple
>computer, and in the past, they didn't do this kind of thing.

You always have the right to complain, and there will always be
improvements that could be made.  I'd like to see Apple give more
attention to software development.  I don't object to improvments
in the hardware, but those cost more $$$ than software, and there's
a big gap between what the current hardware is doing and what it
could be doing given more efficient and less buggy software.

--David A. Lyons              bitnet: awcttypa@uiamvs
  DAL Systems                 CompuServe:  72177,3233
  P.O. Box 287                GEnie mail:    D.LYONS2
  North Liberty, IA 52317     AppleLinkPE: Dave Lyons

ALBRO@NIEHS.BITNET (11/15/88)

On Apple dealers, one of the 3 in our area can help you debug programs,
explain error codes over the phone, and tell you about (not all but) a lot
of 3rd party software.  The other 2 won't even notify you when something
you order comes in.