[comp.sys.apple] several posts...

max.pendragon@pro-lep.UUCP (Max Pendragon) (11/15/88)

I'm new to the net, as a poster anyway, so I'll just dive on in...

|Date: 9 November 88, 13:19:13 EST
|From: SWGRAHAM at MTUS5
|T7J9w5APPLE at BRL.MIL

|  It is not difficult to turn PRODRIVE into a system file. Here's how:
|

| CREATE PRODRIVE.SYSTEM,TSYS
| BLOAD PRODRIVE,A$2000
| Poke 8212,1
| BSAVE PRODRIVE.SYSTEM,A$2000,L1488

I believe you need to add ",TSYS" in the fourth line, or you will get an
error from ProDOS.

----------------------------

|To:  APPLE ][gs owners
|
|Did you see where ...
|
|APPLE ANNOUNCES FREE APPLE ][gs CHIP UPGRADES ...

|        Two free component upgrades are now available for Apple ][gs
|customers.  The new System ROM provides enhancements for future software
|releases and corrects some minor bugs.  The Video Graphics Controller
|(VGC), the chip which generates the video output, has been upgraded to
|create a more problem-free image.  Contact your local authorized Apple
|installing dealer to determine if your Apple qualifies for either of
|these free upgrades.

  Is this the upgrade to ROM 01??  That upgrade was accompanied by an update
to the VGC chip, but was over a year ago.  Is this ROM 02 and an even NEWER
VCG or just a delayed message about the old set??

----------------------------

|From: pnet01!crash!andrew.cmu.edu!jm7e+ (Jeremy G. Mereness)
|Subject: Re: A Serious Thought About the FUTURE <===========================

| [...stuff deleted...] ...because of
|the Macs implementation, is done using high level compilers whose code is
|hardly optimized in the end. // code is generally cleaner and more efficient.

  I am an Apple // programmer, although I have quite a few friends who are
serious mac developers.  Although the code (may be) less memory efficient for
driving some parts of the code, many routines are tweaked much the same as
they are on the Apple //.  Routines doing screen updates, specifically 3-d
rotations in real-time are a good example of this.

  The lack of memory effeciency, in order to support the mac environment, is
not neccessarily a bad thing.  After all, the standard memory configuration on
the mac is much higher than the // series, and the benifits of the environment
(the interface) are well worth the extra code to support them.

  "// code is generally cleaner and more efficient" because it HAS to be.

-------------------------

|From: pnet01!crash!cunyvm.cuny.edu!SELLSWORTH%HMCVAX.BITNET (Scott, part time
 fuzzy)
|Subject: Hey, Keith, I want my // technotes :-) :-) :-)

|  If this is not possible, then I would like to talk to anyone who already
 has
|them. Anyone willing to negotiate on sending a copy to me?  Is this within
 the
|copyright restrictions?

Yes, it is.   Tech-Note #0 (the title tech-note that covers each upgrade and
an updated table of contents and index list) specifically states:

 "You'll be able to get Technical Notes from other sources because we
  distribute them to user groups, upload them to various electronic bulletin
  board systems, and place no restrictions on copying them (except that they
  cannot be resold.)"

If you have a friend who is a developer, that would be your best source.  I
am also sure that they are available somewhere on Apple-Link, if you poke
around. (I'm not sure of this but it seems likely they would put it on their
own BBS.)

Disclaimer: "Your actual milage may vary.."

 Maximillian Dark Pendragon  | UUCP:    utastro!bigtex!markh
 Mark R Hamner               | PROLINE: max.pendragon@pro-lep