[comp.sys.apple] Mousetalk 1.5 and Vax

mmcnew@pro-freedom.cts.com (Monty McNew) (11/16/88)

Re: APPLE //C TO VAX
Maj Richard S. Mitchell writes:

>I'm having trouble sending files from my Apple //c at home to the
>VAX system at work.  I'm using Mousetalk ver 1.5 (though I also
>have 1.0) and every time I invoke the ALL IN ONE "receive from
>PC" protocol, and attempt to send a file from Mousetalk, I
>apparently send 8 blocks of data.  Mousetalk then gives me an
>error and tries to retransmit with the same results.  Does anyone
>have any ideas that I can try for correcting this EXTREMELY
>irritating situation?  BTW no explanation will considered too
>simple.

I have bad luck getting things through private mail, but here is my two
cents worth:

I am willing to bet that your Mousetalk is set to send with 1k XMODEM and
the VAX is set to recieve with 128 byte ('normal' XMODEM).  Next time you
'Send File-- Protocol' to the Vax, check the 'Modify' dialog box.  I am
pretty sure that you will find that 1k XMODEM is set on your Mousetalk and
you'll need to click on 128 to get it to work.

This would explain why the error occurs every 8th block, when Mousetalk sees
that the other end is not using 1k XMODEM.

Also, sometimes Mousetalk just does not want to talk to other systems that
utilize 1k XMODEM.  Even if that VAX is using it,  Mousetalk may not want to
communicate with it.  In these cases, I have always found that going back to
the old 128 XMODEM on both ends usually does the trick (even though it may
error up to three consecutive errors at first before taking off).

Disclaimer:

I have never done a transfer with a VAX (just logged onto my first one last
night) but I use Mousetalk for all my communications and I find that your
problem closely resembles one on some of the PC/XT boards that I call.

Hope this helps...

|  |  UUCP: crash!pro-freedom!mmcnew      Freedom Board    "What's behind |  |
||||  ProLine: mmcnew@pro-freedom      |1|206  699-4477|9|    me is not   ||||
||||  \|/ Alien Invasion Landing Site: |M|  Apple*Van  |6|       ---      ||||
|||| {o o}                             |E| PO Box 2221 |6|       The      ||||
||||  \=/  AILS: 45 37 N / 122 36 W    |G|Vancouver, WA|3|  Gumball Rally ||||