[comp.sys.apple] Need to know signal designations for //e rear panel mouse conn.

wtm@neoucom.UUCP (Bill Mayhew) (11/16/88)

A person here has asked me to connect some "game" controls designed
to plug into a //c or //e rear panel to an older ][+ machine.  The
manuals for the ][+ are pretty decent, but the books for the //e
really STINK (no pin-outs even for the external connectors!).
Heck, the old ][ manuals had the whole schematic and ROM contents.
I'd really like to strangle the editor of these //e manuals.  ~150
pages on how to use the Prodos file utility, but not even a peep
about how to do anything substantive with Prodos.  These manuals
are for a relatively old //e; hopefully apple came out with
something better after the machine was on the market for a while.
I still have the old red 8.5 by 11 inch reference book; that's my
favorite (from the days of the non-autostart F8 ROM!).

I would be most appreciative if somebody could [preferably] email or
post the pin-outs for the mouse connector.  I figured that I would
make a little pigtail to go from the DE-9P on the game control over
to the 14 pin DIP socket in the ][+.  I know the pin-outs for the
DIP socket; no problem there.

Thanks in advance,
--Bill                                                    *3D0G

return mail path:  ...!lll-winken!scooter!neoucom!impulse!wtm

fiddler%concertina@Sun.COM (Steve Hix) (11/17/88)

In article <1411@neoucom.UUCP>, wtm@neoucom.UUCP (Bill Mayhew) writes:
> A person here has asked me to connect some "game" controls designed
> to plug into a //c or //e rear panel to an older ][+ machine.  The
> manuals for the ][+ are pretty decent, but the books for the //e
> really STINK (no pin-outs even for the external connectors!).

Well, there are //e manuals, and there are //e manuals...

> Heck, the old ][ manuals had the whole schematic and ROM contents.

Don't forget that when the Red Book was done, there wasn't any software
out for the ][.  No disk drive.  No file system (DOS wasn't a real
operating system, but then a ][ didn't need much to be useful).
Comparing the ][ with the //e in some areas is literally comparing
apples with <mumble>.  You couldn't fit all the needed information for
the //e in a single manual as you could for the ][ in the Red Book.
Btw, if the RB looks as though it was done by copying papers swept off
of engineer's desks...it was.  Literally.  But the schematics sure were
nice.

> I'd really like to strangle the editor of these //e manuals.  ~150
> pages on how to use the Prodos file utility, but not even a peep
> about how to do anything substantive with Prodos.

Would you like to learn something about how manuals are produced?  Here
goes anyway:  The writer (the editor does not write the manual,
although one will save the writer's bacon during the writing process by
catching spelling/grammatical/content errors) seldom gets to dictate
what goes into a manual, at least completely.  Software and hardware
engineers provide raw information (some of them *really* raw, others
write up their stuff well enough to be writers themselves.  Management,
especially marketing, say what has to go in and what *can't* go in.
Even if leaving something out makes no sense, the writer may not be
able to muster enough support to get it in.

Remember that Apple is, and always has been, a marketing-driven company.
The image is more important than the content.  This is why you got
idiocies like the Apple ///.  I like the Apple ///, I've had several,
and people who own them *still* like them.  So why was the Apple ][
mode of the machine emasculated as it was?  Marketeers (who shall remain
nameless, some of them were otherwise very nice people) were afraid
that a real Apple ][ emulation in a $3000 machine would dry up all
sales of the $1200 Apple ][.  Stupid.  There are lots more people
who could afford $1200, than those who could afford $3000.  Whatever
else they may have *wanted* to buy, the bank account can only do so
much.  (It would have been simpler to put in a full ][ emulation in
the /// than the restricted one that got put in, btw.)  So here you have
a machine that was supposed to be plug-and-play, with software packages
available for most applications.  OK so far.  Apple wanted to have
third-party developers write lots of software for the ///.  Fine.  Then
why did I and another writer have to yell and scream for nearly two
years before somebody upstairs OK'd the writing of the Apple /// SOS
Device Driver Writer's Guide and the SOS Programmer's Guide?  By the
time they got out, the /// was dead.  Politics.  Feh.  Back to manuals.

After all this, you've got packaging constraints:  there is a limit to
how many pages you can put into wire-o bindings.  (Don't get started on
larger formats, or three-ring binders and whatnot.  We looked at all of
them, and their disadvantages outweighed their advantages.)

So the information ends up going out in several manuals.  Why weren't
they shipped together with each system?  Note that Apple is concerned
with shipping large volumes.  Ten (more like $50) of extra manuals
add up over a million or more systems.  Most of the manuals will never
be read anyway.  So the lower-volume manuals have to go some other way.
(This, note, is The Way Things Are, not the way that the writers at
Apple wanted them to be.  You have *no* idea of the ferocious battles
waged on this subject alone.)  The more technical manuals eventually
were printed by Addison-Wesley and sold by them through bookstores, and
the occasional odd dealer.

> These manuals are for a relatively old //e; hopefully apple came out
> with something better after the machine was on the market for a while.
> I still have the old red 8.5 by 11 inch reference book; that's my
> favorite (from the days of the non-autostart F8 ROM!).

Sigh.  They did.  Years ago.  The last two projects I worked on at
Apple were revisions of the //e and //c Technical Reference Manuals.  I
included programming information in the //e version covering the
extended 80-column card and Super Serial Card, too, since nearly every
system went out the door with both.  (Beats having four or five manuals
open on your desk while trying to program.)  Oh, yes; full schematics,
pinouts for external and internal connectors, and ROM listing.  They're
published by Addison-Wesley.  I think the manuals have seen one more
revision since then, but maybe not...the //e hasn't changed much since
then.

Me at Apple?  No thanks.  Nearly five years of fighting political
battles, not knowing for 90 days at a time where the company really was
going and whatnot was more than enough.  I like where I am much better,
thank you.  (But I still enjoyed working with some of the best people
in the Valley.  And playing with what were once some of the most fun
toys, too.)

> I would be most appreciative if somebody could [preferably] email or
> post the pin-outs for the mouse connector.  I figured that I would
> make a little pigtail to go from the DE-9P on the game control over
> to the 14 pin DIP socket in the ][+.  I know the pin-outs for the
> DIP socket; no problem there.

I nobody else does it, and I don't forget, I'll pull down the manuals
from my shelf at home and dig out the information.  What you want to
do is a piece of cake.  Trust me.

> Thanks in advance,

You're welcome.

matthew@sunpix.UUCP ( Sun NCAA) (11/19/88)

>I would be most appreciative if somebody could [preferably] email or
>post the pin-outs for the mouse connector.  I figured that I would
>make a little pigtail to go from the DE-9P on the game control over
>to the 14 pin DIP socket in the ][+.  I know the pin-outs for the
>DIP socket; no problem there.

What you are referencing has nothing to do with a mouse connector. Only
the Apple //c has a combination Joystick, Mouse port. The DE-9 connector
on the Apple //e is strickly a joystick port.

Any way the pinout you are looking for is:

DE-9	signal	DIP-16
 1)    switch 1   [3]
 2)    +5vdc      [1]
 3)    ground     [8]
 4)    pdl 2      [7]
 5)    pdl 0      [6]
 6)    switch 2   [4]
 7)    switch 0   [2]
 8)    pdl 1     [10]
 9)    pdl 3     [11]

I hope this helps you out.
(btw: I did this mod to my own Apple ][plus when I purchased my Apple //c)
--
Matthew Lee Stier     (919) 469-8300|
Sun Microsystems ---  RTP, NC  27560|          "Wisconsin   Escapee"