[comp.sys.apple] GS ADB keyboards and macros

>Date:         Sat, 19 Nov 88 01:20:00 EST
>From:         REWING%TRINCC.BITNET@MITVMA.MIT.EDU
>Subject:      Re: Keyboard

>The extended keyboard from the Mac II and SE works just fine on the
>IIgs [...]  I've heard that the extended keys are accessible on a
>IIgs, although I don't know if anyone, namely Applied Engineering's
>PCTransporter can take advantage of them.  Guess its time to hit AE
>up for a card and find out.

I have no idea how they show up from PCTransporter software, but for
normal Apple II or Apple IIGS software the extra keys are mostly
lowercase letters on the KEYPAD.  For example, I think the "Undo"
function key generates a "z" with the "keypad" bit set in the
modifiers byte (accessible at $C025 for Apple II stuff, and usually
read through the Event Manager in GS-specific software).

There's no reason that Macro programs like MacroMate (Roger Wagner
Publishing) and DiveriKey (Diversified Software Research) couldn't
let you assign arbitrary macros to the extra keys.

However, MacroMate currently _doesn't_ allow it as far as I know,
and I don't know whether DiversiKey does or not (I'll have to dig it
up and try it).

I do know that Dave Whitney's Z-Link terminal program will let you
assign macros to those keys.  ('course, those macros work only while
you're using Z-Link; DiversiKey and MacroMate macros are always
accessible.)

>--Rick Ewing
>  Apple Atlanta Support Squad

--David A. Lyons              bitnet: awcttypa@uiamvs
  DAL Systems                 CompuServe:  72177,3233
  P.O. Box 287                GEnie mail:    D.LYONS2
  North Liberty, IA 52317     AppleLinkPE: Dave Lyons